NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Via eBay seller lexibell-racing. At first I was afraid that Mary Brace was breaking up the archives that her father, George Brace, inherited/acquired from George Burke, adding his own photos to for the next 40+ years. But seeing what they have, it seems more likely that these are continuing to trickle out from the estate of Jim Rowe, with the reference to Mary Brace being a caveat that she retains the rights to the images? I sent the seller a message asking for clarification, but haven't received an answer, so this is all speculation at this point.

Also, that is not meant to take anything away from the pick-ups. A Burke is a Burke, and those are some phenomenal shots! I only wish I had more expendable income right now to pick some up myself, if for no other reason than to add to my library of Burke scans (without those darned watermarks they throw in every image).

Correction: Upon checking the bracephoto.com website, I noticed that the contact address has been changed to Rogers Photo Archive, so the negatives are definitely from the Burke/Brace collection that Mary had been managing (with family help) following George Brace's passing. There are about another 250 or so negatives coming up in the next Legendary auction (with some familiar key images) that I just got an e-mail about today, and those are just the tip of the iceberg with many thousands more in the archive.
So here is someone selling a print of the Dimaggio/Brown photo as a photo shot by Brace and not Burke. So I understand that Brace owns the rights to Burke's negatives but I guess there is some confusion about who actual took some of these shots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Dimaggio...item3ccc65fc2d
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
So here is someone selling a print of the Dimaggio/Brown photo as a photo shot by Brace and not Burke. So I understand that Brace owns the rights to Burke's negatives but I guess there is some confusion about who actual took some of these shots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Dimaggio...item3ccc65fc2d
I think that seller's "confusion" is more a case of not having a clue what they are talking about. That shot was taken by Burke, not Brace, and that is Zeke Bonura (not Brown). The bulk of their description, which they use for all of their "Brace" photo listings, comes from the bracephoto.com website, including the reference to having thousands of Burke negatives (Brace did, this guy doesn't). He also completely leaves Brace's association with Burke out of the story. It's hard to tell if he has a handful of prints that were purchased from George Brace at some point, or if he's just blowing up scans, but I would definitely ask him a few questions to clarify what you're getting before buying.

Granted, Brace didn't help clear up confusion when he continued to produce prints of Burke's photos for years and years following Burke's death, which he stamped with his Brace Photo stamp on the back. But that shot was definitely taken by Burke in 1936 or 1937.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picked up a few items relating to the G.O.A.T.

1977 Australian movie poster:

1980 button from that awful fight with Larry Holmes:

a 1963 45 record with picture sleeve, issued to radio stations as a promo:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Mikeknapp

These are my most recent photo pickups. The first is of the 1942 Service All Stars. I was unaware that they had played a game at Municipal against the winners of the 1942 MLB All Star Game. Feller was the starting pitcher and is in the center of the photo. This link http://research.sabr.org/journals/fo...-all-star-game leads to a SABR article about the game. The second photo depicts the Dean Brothers in 1934. The final two photos are of Connie Mack 1930 and a 21 year old Bill Veeck in 1935. The cigarette in Veeck’s hand is a bit prophetic when considering the manner of his death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1942_Service_All_Stars.jpg (78.2 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1934 Dean Brothers.jpg (73.0 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1930 Connie Mack.jpg (70.2 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1935 Bill Veeck.jpg (74.7 KB, 555 views)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Jeff

Default Pepper Martin Wirephoto

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Mikeknapp

[QUOTE=HRBAKER;1054535]

Very nice photo! I had already spent beyond my monthly budget when it closed
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

I recently acquired the Topps 60 year anniversary Ring and I made a ring box to go along with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00193701.jpg (31.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg 00193702.JPG (55.3 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg 00193703.JPG (63.3 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg 00193705.jpg (42.5 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg 00193706.jpg (25.4 KB, 391 views)