NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Lew sold my father's Wagner, the "Jumbo Wagner" via auction in 1984:

Was your father the original owner of that Wagner? If not, where did he find such nice Wagner? Amazing card!
Old 10-05-2020, 09:16 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

What this conversation reinforces to me is the absolute absurdity of pinning precise numbers to grades, down to half a grade, and having a card's value change by multiples based on the most minor of grade shifts, which in and of themselves are entirely subjective. To me the only value of grading is to opine whether a card is authentic and unaltered. After that, good images of the front and verso are all that I need.

As has been discussed a number of times, the absurdity of TPG reaches its zenith with blank-backed photographic cards (e.g., N172s), where photo quality is not factored in but blemishes on the versos are. Without exaggeration I can state that there are 1s I would prefer over 8s.

Technically this Wagner might be a 3.5. But if one has it in hand, as I have, it is gorgeous and IMO has significantly greater eye appeal than all the other vg-exs I have seen. Yes, when one blows up the corners, one can see the paper loss and other defects. But when you see it in person, those defects don't stand out.

For my taste, the two things that detract the most are its size and the stain in the upper left portion of the orange background. I've always found it interesting how collectors put a premium on oversize cards, which, to me being off size, conceptually are no different than undersized cards, which many collectors frown upon. Of course I recognize that the more oversized the card, the less likely it was trimmed. But if one has a card with a pedigree that makes one reasonably confident it was not altered, I would prefer the regular sized card.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Mike

Are we now talking about the HOF Wagner that has not been graded or the Graded PSA 5(MC) ?
Old 10-05-2020, 09:45 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Are we now talking about the HOF Wagner that has not been graded or the Graded PSA 5(MC) ?
I was talking about the HOF Wagner.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Would love to know more about that "Wagner cut out from a strip of 5" story! This is new to me!
Here's a picture of a similar strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner Strip Proof 2.jpg (28.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
the "only" strip?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
What this conversation reinforces to me is the absolute absurdity of pinning precise numbers to grades, down to half a grade, and having a card's value change by multiples based on the most minor of grade shifts, which in and of themselves are entirely subjective. To me the only value of grading is to opine whether a card is authentic and unaltered. After that, good images of the front and verso are all that I need.

As has been discussed a number of times, the absurdity of TPG reaches its zenith with blank-backed photographic cards (e.g., N172s), where photo quality is not factored in but blemishes on the versos are. Without exaggeration I can state that there are 1s I would prefer over 8s.

Technically this Wagner might be a 3.5. But if one has it in hand, as I have, it is gorgeous and IMO has significantly greater eye appeal than all the other vg-exs I have seen. Yes, when one blows up the corners, one can see the paper loss and other defects. But when you see it in person, those defects don't stand out.

For my taste, the two things that detract the most are its size and the stain in the upper left portion of the orange background. I've always found it interesting how collectors put a premium on oversize cards, which, to me being off size, conceptually are no different than undersized cards, which many collectors frown upon. Of course I recognize that the more oversized the card, the less likely it was trimmed. But if one has a card with a pedigree that makes one reasonably confident it was not altered, I would prefer the regular sized card.
Extremely well stated... but "absurdity" might be an understatement.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Cut that strip up and you have an oversized Near Mint Bowerman with proof marks.

Brian
Old 10-05-2020, 11:53 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I thought Keith Olberman had the strip pictured. I think the 0000001 copy was just an oversized border.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM
David M.

I wasn't saying it came from this particular strip. I just posted it as an example of what the strip may have looked like that the card came from.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:57 PM

As I recall from looking at the strip years ago, those five cards are a mock-up and each is an individual card glued to a backing to form the strip, thus the line between each one. A sheet with cards would not have that line between the cards.

As an addendum, no one has ever seen the "sheet" that the Wagner is rumored to be cut from, nor any other T206's in sheet form. It was just a regular T206, albeit slightly large enough to cut down.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I thought the Gretzky Wagner was cut from a full sheet of T206 cards and that didn’t happen until the mid-1980s.
Most likely that is the case. There are before and after photos and Mastro did say it was trimmed. I think most people who are familiar with the case believe that Mastro trimmed the card on two separate occasions.

The problem I have is that if the story is correct, a full sheet would not only be worth 2-3 times more than the Wagner itself at auction, but more importantly, solve a lot more questions than answers we have about the set. If the card was actually cut from a sheet (and I believe it was) than that's probably one of the biggest travesties in the Hobby.

I did enjoy the book The Card very much, but I think the authors need to revisit it and add a chapter on the aftermath and Bill Mastro and Doug Allen's trial.