NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Pretty interesting thread (in spots).

Would someone mind defining a proof, exactly?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Either a ticket that was never meant to be used or a ticket for a game that was never played.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Pretty interesting thread (in spots).

Conor,
Proof tickets are tickets with no seat or row numbers printed on them. Frequently they were used as ticket salesman samples. They would be shown to potential ticket customers as samples of tickets that the company was capable of producing.
It also should be noted that these tickets are frequently found in entire ticket strips with multiple tickets, not unlike the strip that has been shown in this thread.

Historically, they typically are less desirable than an actual ticket with seat/row numbers to the ticket collector. That being said, the World Series strip that Stephen has is interesting because of age and it contains a significant game of historic notoriety.

FWIW, if I were Stephen I wouldn't separate the tickets as I see them as possibly being more unusual if kept intact. My thinking would be that since they had survived over 80 years, why alter their appearance? If nothing else they look cool for display or possibly being framed. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-25-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Banned

the other primary use of ticket proofs was to spot any errors in text or graphics during the printing process. a sheet of tickets would be designed, then printed so the printers could “proof” the content for errors. because these weren’t meant to used for admission to the event, there was no need to add seat and row numbers, because that involved an extra step in the printing process.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Brendan Mullen

you get locked in the bathroom aka the mush room for 24 hours like Mush.

"Hey I don't want your money touching my money. I don't want your money in the same neighborhood as my money."

"Whaaaat Sonny, my money's no good??"

"Because you're a fkn jinx that's why. Hey put him in the fkn bathroom. Leave him in there. He's a fkn jinx."

What a great movie!!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEU6hrEAVf4
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
That is definitely our boy on here
Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
the other primary use of ticket proofs was to spot any errors in text or graphics during the printing process. a sheet of tickets would be designed, then printed so the printers could “proof” the content for errors. because these weren’t meant to used for admission to the event, there was no need to add seat and row numbers, because that involved an extra step in the printing process.
This isn't "an "other" reason for proofs. This is THE reason.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
+1
Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Either a ticket that was never meant to be used or a ticket for a game that was never played.
+1 Also true
Old 10-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Rick

World Series proof tickets were also given to ushers at Dodger Stadium during the 1963 and 1965 World Series so that they would know what legitimate tickets looked like. I received a couple of these from an usher who worked there then.

Rick
Old 10-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
World Series proof tickets were also given to ushers at Dodger Stadium during the 1963 and 1965 World Series so that they would know what legitimate tickets looked like. I received a couple of these from an usher who worked there then.

Rick
YES. See this thread is quickly becoming extremely educational!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

This thread reminds me more of Resevoir Dogs:

Mr. Pink: Hey, why am I Mr. Pink?
Joe: Because you're a f----t, alright?
Mr. Pink: Why can't we pick our own colors?
Joe: No way, no way. Tried it once, it doesn't work. You get four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.
Mr. Brown: Yeah, but Mr. Brown, that's a little too close to Mr. Shit.
Mr. Pink: Mr. Pink sounds like Mr. Pussy. How 'bout if I'm Mr. Purple? That sounds good to me. I'll be Mr. Purple.
Joe: You're not Mr. Purple. Some guy on some other job is Mr. Purple. Your Mr. PINK.
Mr. White: Who cares what your name is?
Mr. Pink: Yeah, that's easy for your to say, you're Mr. White. You have a cool-sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, do you wanna trade?
Joe: Hey! NOBODY'S trading with ANYBODY. This ain't a goddamn, f-cking city council meeting, you know? Now listen up, Mr. Pink. There's two ways you can go on this job: my way or the highway. Now what's it gonna be, Mr. Pink?
Mr. Pink: Jesus Christ, Joe, f-cking forget about it. It's beneath me. I'm Mr. Pink. Let's move on.
Joe: I'll move on when I feel like it... All you guys got the goddamn message?... I'm so goddamn mad, hollering at you guys I can hardly talk. Pssh. Let's go to work.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
This thread reminds me more of Resevoir Dogs:

Mr. Pink: Hey, why am I Mr. Pink?
Joe: Because you're a f----t, alright?
Mr. Pink: Why can't we pick our own colors?
Joe: No way, no way. Tried it once, it doesn't work. You get four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.
Mr. Brown: Yeah, but Mr. Brown, that's a little too close to Mr. Shit.
Mr. Pink: Mr. Pink sounds like Mr. Pussy. How 'bout if I'm Mr. Purple? That sounds good to me. I'll be Mr. Purple.
Joe: You're not Mr. Purple. Some guy on some other job is Mr. Purple. Your Mr. PINK.
Mr. White: Who cares what your name is?
Mr. Pink: Yeah, that's easy for your to say, you're Mr. White. You have a cool-sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, do you wanna trade?
Joe: Hey! NOBODY'S trading with ANYBODY. This ain't a goddamn, f-cking city council meeting, you know? Now listen up, Mr. Pink. There's two ways you can go on this job: my way or the highway. Now what's it gonna be, Mr. Pink?
Mr. Pink: Jesus Christ, Joe, f-cking forget about it. It's beneath me. I'm Mr. Pink. Let's move on.
Joe: I'll move on when I feel like it... All you guys got the goddamn message?... I'm so goddamn mad, hollering at you guys I can hardly talk. Pssh. Let's go to work.
Awesome movie & awesome dialogue! A classic!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:04 AM
H Murphy

O K O K, speaking of tickets, "they sold him his tickets ALREADY torn in half" ! Poor poor Eddy................
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
O K O K, speaking of tickets, "they sold him his tickets ALREADY torn in half" ! Poor poor Eddy................
HaHa...C'mon Kryotonite
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Brendan Mullen

C'mon Kryotonite

"Hey C...I got a hot tip in the next race..."

"Go F yourself!"

"Aww you're very emotional"
Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
Stephen,

Please don’t take this as a poke in the eye, but I think you are missing the point of what I took the time to lay out. My apologies if I was confusing. Assuming for the sake of argument, the only two examples out there are yours and the Heritage example. If this were a fact (which I am not saying it is), it does not change or effect the likely perceived market value or likely demand for the item in question as suggested above. Rarity, whether it be numeric or condition based, does not always translate into enhanced value over comparative items for any number of reasons. That is what I had hope was the “take away” from my previous post.

Is there a way to change this dynamic? There could be, but this requires that demand be created for the artifact/item in question. This can come though educational efforts (convincing collectors/the industry that the item is undervalued in a way that makes objective sense to them). In short, growing the number of collectors who would want what you are selling. In this case, numeric or condition based rarity might not be enough.

Offering comparative pricing data may not be enough since it appears (only an observation), that demand for the whole sheet may not be as strong as for the eaches. The dynamic might also change though the application of industry wide pressure. By this I mean the demand for grading/encapsulation of odd size product like this. I don’t think this will likely happen since this would require a market strong enough to justify the additional cost of creating new holders. For the most part, grading/encapsulation is based a volume business model. As such, there is little incentive to invest money in developing a supporting infrastructure for low density items.

I really don’t have anyone more thoughts or information on this particular topic. Maybe others do.

Dave Grob

I can tell you that in my time working at Wrigley Field in much of the decade of the 80's I did see several of these sheets located in various nooks and crannies of the old ball park. These proof sheets of all colors were typically found affixed to poster board (i doubt it was poster board as we know if today but some other kind of material from back in the day) and were used to show ushers and ticket takers examples of tickets so they knew where to point patrons based on ticket stub color. These have been stored in several places because, well lets just say the Cubs never threw anything out. The stuff I laid my eyes that was stuffed in filing cabinets in utility storage lockers and above work benches in the grounds crew room would have made me a millionaire by today's standards if I was a thieving type of guy.

The point being, while there may not be a number of these sheets in the hobby they are certainly out there and probably stuffed in the attics of long deceased ushers and security who worked those games.