NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Mike H

Hi All. I picked this up for $8 yesterday in a junky antique mall. It's a pretty nice bat with great knob and patina. Here is what I would like your input regarding tape. Over the years I have removed tape and had bats restored. In other instances, there were no hidden cracks and all was well. Do you leave tape on or remove and restore? What are your feelings regarding taped handles (this one is cracked)?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice pickup Mike....Looks like you are finding some great stuff lately. In all the years I've been picking up bats I've NEVER run across a Zinn Beck. As far as tape on the bat goes I always leave it as is. I've cleaned some bats up before, but I've never restored one and I wouldn't even know how to do it.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

If you ever find a very high end bat that is in rough condition, sending it to Fred Lowman is a very good investment. He is extremely talented.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Clint

Mike, nice bat the dark patina looks great. I usually leave the tape on my bats as I think it compliments the wood. If the tape is falling off or ratty looking then I'll remove it. Is Fred Lowman able to fix initials carved into bats. I've got a bat that I would love to get restored.

Clint

Old 09-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

I usually leave the tape on depending on the bat and leave alone. There is always another bat in better condition with or without tape the comes around anyways - good buy - black bats are not as easy to find

Take care

Jimmy

Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: John Harrell

Mike,

I have picked up a number of old bats with tape. If the bat is cracked for sure and needs repair, I usually remove the tape. If the bat is solid, I leave the tape, unless it is really ratty. Removing the tape means a further step, like removing the old tape adhesive (alcohol and elbow grease normally works), and then you face the issue of discoloration under the tape or uneven patina. All things being equal, you're probably better off leaving the tape alone.

John

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Thanks for the advice all. I know this bat is cracked, but the value of it repaired doesn't justify the expense imo.

Regarding Fred's ability to remove initials. It probably depends. Here is the link to his site. Many many advanced and novice bat collectors have used him for years.

http://www.geocities.com/brettlowman/batrepair.html

Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: John Harrell

Mike,

I neglected to add that your Zinn Beck 400 is very scarce because of the black color. I have two Zinn Becks, one bark brown (Hornsby model) and an ash finish (Schulte model). I'm not sure that I've run across another black Z-B.

John

Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Not to pour fuel on a fire here, but I guess my question would be why would anyone "restore" a broken bat by repairing a crack, adding a piece of wood to a missing section, removing nails, etc. as seen on that website. The crack was part of the game.

NOT that I'm comparing repairing bats to altering baseball cards (I think grading and paying money on minute grading differences is insane - that's why I'm thankful I collect memorabilia), but I'm probably comparing the process more to restoring antique furniture. If there's historical significance to a piece, the flaws are part of the piece's history. If you intend to use that old chair to sit in, and it's not historically significant, go ahead and restore it. If you aren't, or it's worth money as an antique, you've ruined it by taking away the original finish or adding missing parts. I'm thinking the same can be said for an original bat. I'm quite certain a cracked game used Babe Ruth bat in it's original condition would be worth more than one that someone did major repairs to (Maybe I'm wrong?).

Just like there's nothing wrong with maintaining an original wood finish for furniture, I don't think there would be anything wrong with giving the bat whatever it needed to preserve the integrity of the wood.

Just some food for thought.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Greg, you would only restore non-gamers. Store model bats are sometimes restored for visual appeal because there is no historical significance to the player who used it. The better the condition, the greater the value, within reason. For example; I had a Hanna Batrite J Foxx with a completely shattered handle and large chip off the knob. I paid $3 for it. I had Fred completely restore it. I disclosed completely what had been done and sold it for $1,500. That is why you restore a bat.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Sounds like a good reason to me, Mike

Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default My new bat

Posted By: Clint

Mike, I think restoration is accepted in the game used world as well, as long as it is noted. I wouldn't remove tape, nails or anything placed there by the original user. The problem I have is with a game used bat that had initials carved by someone other than the original user. I don't want to ruin or make the bat look worse however.
Clint