NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Default SGC or PSA for your T206? And why?

Which service do you prefer and for what reasons? Initially I only bought PSA graded cards, but after a few purchases of SGC cards, im beginning to think I may have a new favorite.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Sgc

I only collect SGC. I find PSA to be more erratic in their grading and they also tend to overgrade. SGC holders look better with the black insert and the thicker plastic. The PSA ones look and feel cheap to me. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Glyn Parson

Default If I were a collector i would choose SGC

but as a dealer I usually go PSA. They tend to sell for more but I prefer SGC's consistency and I like the T206's look in the SGC holder. There seems to be a decent supply in either companies holders so that's not as much of an issue as some other sets.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

I own both, but I find SGC too easy on corners, I don't like 5s with rounded corners.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Rob Miller

Default Sgc

PSA is too erratic for my taste, with SGC most of the time you pretty much know what you are getting for the grade. Of course there are examples from both companies that are less than spectacular, however I feel SGC gets it right most of the time.

Rob

Last edited by Robextend; 03-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Ron Rice

Default Psa

I chose PSA. PSA is much more popular on T206's, based on the population reports and the number of registered sets. Check out the web sites. On this net54 site, a majority favor SGC. If you are buying or selling on Ebay, than PSA is the way to go. Enjoy!

Ron R
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Jeff

Default Psa!

PSA all the way, especially if you ever want to move your cards for top dollar in the future.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

My collection is pretty much split 50/50 between PSA and SGC, that said all my T-206's are in SGC slabs and I am very happy.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Barry Arnold

Default sgc

for me very consistent grading and top drawer customer service.

best,
barry
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
ErikV

Default Re: SGC or PSA for your T206? And why?

I've always been a PSA kinda guy. Personal preference I suppose.
Here's a few reasons why. I like the simple appearance of the PSA
holder a little bit better (ie larger print and 1-10 scale.) PSA holders
are not as thick, and are a little bit smaller in size than SGC. In
addition, I think PSA holders by design are ahead of SGC when it comes
to cert. verification, which ties directly into a more user friendly
website and registry. Again, just one collectors humble opinion.

ErikV
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Frank Wakefield

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-20-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Pup6913

Sgc
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Paul

Default Sgc

Cross Over Experience

A few years ago, I submitted 40 PSA graded T206 cards to SGC for crossover. The 40 cards were almost all between PSA 4 and PSA 6. SGC only agreed to cross-over 30 of them, and pointed out the crease in my PSA 6 Hal Chase (Pink) and how my PSA 5 Home Run Baker had been trimmed. Suffice to say, I lost all confidence in PSA's ability to properly holster a T206 card at that time.

Encapsulating creased cards as PSA 5

In addition, a poster above said that SGC was too liberal with corner rounding on PSA 5s. But to me creases are MUCH worse on a PSA 5 and I've seen more than a fair share of them in PSA 5 T206 cards. As long as my SGC 60 has no creases, I am more than happy with its fuzzy corners.

Paper Loss and Chipping

Also, PSA is really inconsistent when it comes to paper loss and chipping. SGC really hammers a card for that and I think that's the appropriate course.

No qualifiers

PSA uses qualifiers, while SGC appropriately assigns a grade to every card, taking into account the defect.

Customer Service

SGC may have the best customer service of any company that I deal with in any industry. They will take calls, call you on the phone directly on their own initiative, respond to emails, and respond on this website to concerns raised by collectors. Frankly, on this alone, there is no reason to ever go with PSA.

SGC Understands Prewar

SGC understands the nuances of prewar cards, particularly T206, which it has dealt with extensively. They understand the common issues and know what to look for. Frankly, their graders are more experienced at reviewing T206 cards and their expertise is reflected in the consistency of their grades.

Guarantee

Last time I checked, SGC will buy back at fair value any of its mistakes or overgrades. Try getting that with PSA.

A word about Set Registries and Pop Reports

It is one thing to use registries to catalog cards and have a place to showcase them and share with other collectors. It is another thing to use registries as if they have an inherent competitive/economic value. The fact is, having the #1 PSA registry of T206 cards may be worth something because people are willing to pay for it -- but does it really make any sense when there are a ton of T206 cards that are raw or in other holders? Also, paying big bucks because only 3 Unglaubs have been holdered by PSA makes no sense when SGC has holdered Unglaubs, too, and there are other Unglaubs out there just waiting to be "discovered." In short, to the extent PSA cards receive any bump from the registry/population report crowd, I find that bump to be irrational.

Bringing Post-War Collection Into Pre-War

Finally, my view is that when people come to pre-war for the first time, many go for PSA because that is what they have collected in post-war. It is only a matter of time before they realize that SGC knows what it is doing with pre-war cards better than PSA does. But a lot of people are intent on keeping their collection in one holder and so they stick with PSA, despite all the obvious deficiencies.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
John Hanssen

From stand point of buying - I have found that in pre-war (at least of late) SCG is going for a higher percentage of BV than PSA. As a matter of fact I was using T206.org and T205.org for pricing and found that a large percentage of cards sell higher that the valuation price given. I would like to know when the last time there info for valuation pricing has been updated.
But in post war I can buy a SGC graded card at a lower price point and I get a card that I am happy with enough to KEEP fo my PC.
I do buy both and still go with the idea of buying the card not the holder. With that said I would rather have/buy in SCG.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

"Cross Over Experience

A few years ago, I submitted 40 PSA graded T206 cards to SGC for crossover. The 40 cards were almost all between PSA 4 and PSA 6. SGC only agreed to cross-over 30 of them, and pointed out the crease in my PSA 6 Hal Chase (Pink) and how my PSA 5 Home Run Baker had been trimmed. Suffice to say, I lost all confidence in PSA's ability to properly holster a T206 card at that time."

Paul, you don't think the same thing happens in the other direction, either with crossovers or crackouts? I assure you that it does, including rejection of cards as trimmed.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Paul, you don't think the same thing happens in the other direction, either with crossovers or crackouts? I assure you that it does, including rejection of cards as trimmed.
1) While SGC is run by humans who make mistakes, I would like to see the evidence of this; and

2) If you can show evidence of this, SGC will buy the card from you, while PSA won't.

@SignedT206
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
1) While SGC is run by humans who make mistakes, I would like to see the evidence of this; and

2) If you can show evidence of this, SGC will buy the card from you, while PSA won't.
Not after you have cracked it out they won't. And I have had PSA buy back cards, so I don't know what the basis is for saying they won't.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-09-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Andy Garden

Default Sgc

I prefer the holder and the insert. PSA holders seem cheap IMO. They just don't present the cards as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:

That is not true. I have seen both companies honor their buy back policies.

As for the original question, I would go with PSA for the T206 set. For almost every other prewar set, I prefer SGC.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

T206 collector gave an excellent summary of SGC's benefits, I just thought I'd add the following:
  • No Subscription Service: PSA makes you pay an annual membership fee, which you have to maintain whether or not you want to submit cards. SGC is a straight up pay for grading service, its simple, easy, and gimmicky no long term commitments. However, if you only plan on buying graded cards, and not submitting raw cards, then this isn't an issue.
  • One more vote for consistent grading: I've seen some awful cards in high grade PSA holders. SGC is definitely more consistent on their grading.
  • The SGC holder is the best! The SGC holder is beautiful way to display your cards. Its black background makes the white bordered T206 really stand out. The PSA holder is ugly in my opinion. First, it is clear, with an ugly red label, and there is a little piece of plastic that covers up the bottom of the card. I don't like it.
  • Customer Service! Its amazing, but you can call up SGC and talk to a real person, every time, usually the same guy (Brian), they just really take care of you. As I stated above, if you only plan on buying graded cards, and not submitting raw cards, then this isn't an issue.

That said, PSA cards are more common on eBay, so if you don't want to cross cards over to SGC, and want to acquire a collection quickly, and you like the PSA holder, then go PSA.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not after you have cracked it out they won't. And I have had PSA buy back cards, so I don't know what the basis is for saying they won't.
If PSA rejected an SGC card for trimming they will return it in the case, right? That's what I am talking about. Obviously it would be hard to prove that SGC encapsulated a trimmed card if it was not in the holder.

I have not tried to have PSA buy back a trimmed card, but in the past there were a lot of complaints on Net54 about PSA refusing to acknowledge that they made a mistake with respect to grade or trimming. I have not had any issues with SGC in this regard. So that is my basis for my claims.

@SignedT206
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
That said, PSA cards are more common on eBay, so if you don't want to cross cards over to SGC, and want to acquire a collection quickly, and you like the PSA holder, then go PSA.
Just keep in mind that people sell cards for a variety of reasons. While PSA has obviously graded more T206 cards than SGC over the years -- they've been around a lot longer -- it stands to reason that the overgrades will find their way onto the market at a faster rate (and more repeatedly). People will tend to hold on to their undergrades or perhaps try to have them crossed over or reholdered.

If you believe that PSA has a longer history of overgrading cards than SGC, then it follows that more of the PSA cards in the market will be overgraded.

@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-09-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: changes "my" to "more"
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Just keep in mind that people sell cards for a variety of reasons. While PSA has obviously graded my T206 cards than SGC over the years -- they've been around a lot longer -- it stands to reason that the overgrades will find their way onto the market at a faster rate (and more repeatedly). People will tend to hold on to their undergrades or perhaps try to have them crossed over or reholdered.

If you believe that PSA has a longer history of overgrading cards than SGC, then it follows that more of the PSA cards in the market will be overgraded.
Yes, if you are going to collect PSA on eBay, scrutinize your cards carefully, as they say, buy the card, not the holder.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Clayton

I like SGC the best.I've only submitted cards to SGC,and will continue to do so.
But I do buy cards graded by PSA,and BVG also for that matter.It is true that you should buy the card and not the holder.

I think that SGC and BVG seem to give more of an accurate grade though,over PSA-just my opinion.I do not think PSA graded cards will bring more $$ for pre-war cards over SGC,but I don't sell cards,so I may be wrong-just doesn't sound right though.To each his/her own............

Regards,Clayton
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
JB

To me SGC is easier on centering IMO, however their slabs are more pleasing to the eyes than PSA's.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I definitely have to disagree with the idea that PSA cards fetch more in auctions, as some folks have stated.

Before I buy a card, I keep a list of several recent auctions of the card in the same grade to see what the going rate is. I just looked at my informal database, and 75% of the time the SGC card went for more than a comparable PSA graded card. My list is a small sample of about 100 cards, so there will be some margin of error, but I'm telling you that SGC cards do NOT on average sell for less than PSA cards, in my opinion. As a buyer of SGC cards, I sometimes wish this falsehood were true, but I often pay a premium for an SGC card because it is properly graded!

There are other reasons to collect PSA, but this isn't one of them IMO.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Glyn Parson

Default PSA absolutely sells for more

Quote:
.I do not think PSA graded cards will bring more $$ for pre-war cards over SGC,but I don't sell cards,so I may be wrong-just doesn't sound right though.To each his/her own............
on the common pre war issues like T206, 1933 Goudey, 1941 Playball. Particularly on midgrade SGC 60-80 vs PSA 5-6 prices generally are not even close between PSA and SGC. I wish this were not the case nor do I think it should be but that is how it is. You may find a single HOF'er 88 that has outsold PSA 8's but that is not common nor would I count on it consistently happening.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Ne@l K

I own about 10 T206's - all SGC. I prefer the black insert, as it enhances the look. Just my opinion.

That said, there is no comparison on the slab itself, as SGC slabs scratch very easy and seem to be of a lesser plastic.

I cross cards to SGC if I want to hold on to them. If there is any possibility that I would consider selling it down the road, I will not cross it. Sure, there are examples of SGC outperforming PSA, but that is usually not the case. PSA is king when it comes to resale.

I like both companies. Both grade a bit different, and both make mistakes. PSA grades a good deal more (a guess), so there may be more mistakes. But the percentage is probably the same.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Barry Sloate

Well I have to say I've auctioned a few thousand cards over the years and I am not convinced a nice SGC card sells for any less than a comparable PSA card, certainly not on average. There may be specific situations where a PSA card may do better, same as there are times an SGC card will. But on average they are awfully close.

I agree that for the higher end registry cards you do need to go with PSA. But for the typical vintage card that ranges from Good to Excellent, I can go with either one.

Now I prefer SGC because they are a better company and I like working with them, and I don't feel I am leaving money on the table when I use them.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Bob Beck

I own cards from both companies but much more heavily weighted with PSA. As far as high end post war cards PSA will consistently fetch more money. Their set registry was the best thing that ever happened to that company. If you just do a basic search on ebay PSA to SGC you can see their market dominance. I know the board favors SGC but PSA dominates in pure volume.

I was very surprised a month ago as I had 7 1952 Bowman Stan Musials graded, 6 by PSA and 1 by SGC. I received 3 PSA 5's ad 3 PSA 6's and the SGC was a 60-equal to a PSA 5. The SGC 60 outperformed all 3 PSA 5's on ebay by a nice margin, so you never know. All 4 cards sold under the PSA SMR-the 3 PSA 5's well under the guide. Maybe post war mid grade cards do just as well if not better in an SGC holder. I will try more just to see if it is not an isolated case.

On a side note, I ended up with 3 WIWAG cards in my collection some years back and PSA made good on all 3, although I had a 1969 PSA 8 Mantle and a 1960 PSA 8 Mantle that I could have sworn were both WIWAG and PSA said they were just weak for the grade. I disagreed and always wondered about those two because they were a bit more expensive. I also sent a 1934 PSA 6 Batter up Lazzeri for a bump attempt and PSA told me the card was trimmed and should have never been holdered. They paid me fulll SMR which was more than I paid for the card. One other incident, they lost a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams on a submission and paid me my full declared value for the card even though they never saw it, it was a very nice card that was declared at $2,500 if I remember correctly. I thought it would grade a PSA 6 or a PSA 7. It was a 1 card invoice submitted with other large bulk invoices that accidently most have been misplaced and never found. They were extremely troubled by the incident and gave me no problems. I have graded with them for over 15 years and that was the only card they ever lost, but it was taken care of swiftly and professionally.