NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default First Ever Seattle Collector's Meeting A Success...

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...but not completely without incident.

The three of us (Jeff Obermeyer, David Rudd and myself) met in the Seattle/Belltown Starbucks today for a couple hours to talk about collectibles, baseball, hockey (Jeff is a hockey collector, too, and that's still ok ), local antique stores, collectible shows, rich people who buy all the cool stuff, etc, etc.

We had a great time, really, and hung out talking for a couple hours.

Dave got up once and threw a hot mocha on a guy wearing a Toronto Blue-Jays t-shirt. He yelled profanity at the guy and told him to leave (not just the Starbucks, but actually insisted that he leave town.) Somebody called the cops and they actually took the Blue Jays fan out of the store for causing such a disturbance...I heard that they trespased that guy from the Seattle city limits, too. Good job, Dave...!

About an hour after that cooled down, Jeff took his signature Gretsky hockey stick out to show us. Evidently, he got it on Mastro as the first game-used hockey stick that Gretsky ever used! Kinda like the Ichiro baseball bat, or something like that. Anyway, Jeff was showing us the famous "Gretsky pose" as he scored that famous first goal with that stick... but, on the backswing, Jeff hit a lady right in the mouth. (The nerve of her, anyway, for getting in the way of the historic reenactment, I don't care if she was pregnant with twins...) She tried to act all pissed off just because she chipped a tooth. But then we heard a bone-tingling wail come from Jeff -- that gal's tooth actually caused a small chip in the blade of his otherwise flawless, unmarked hockey stick. You should of heard the exchange at that point! I gave Jeff the name of a good attorney...

Despite the occasional drama, we had a great time this morning. I must say it is truly incredible the fun, interesting, friendly people I've met from eBay and this site...

Next time, we're planning an excursion up to a couple of local collector haunts up in North Seattle -- that should be a fun trip.

It was great fun meeting you both. I hope more folks can join us in the future, too. Elliot: thanks for creating and maintaining this venue. There are some very, very cool people here.

-dan

Old 07-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

...the guy who saw Dan's shaved head and called him "Mr. Clean". Dan stood up and the guy ran for the door. What the guy didn't know is that Dan had a Christy Mathewson signed baseball in his bag, and that he'd been reading "Pitching in a Pinch". Dan proceded to go into a full wind up and launched one of Matty's patented "fade-aways" which broke around a homeless guy with a shopping card and tagged the offender in the back of the noggin as he fled down first avenue.

Fortunately neither the ball nor the homeless guy were injured in the exchange.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...is that right after seeing that pitch, Lou Piniella (who was eating at the Belltown Pub) tried to sogn me on as his new starting pitcher. But, I told him I couldn't be bothered with such things since I have mortgages to do. Criminy!! What was Lou thinking?

Old 07-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

For record for the board, I had a nice time, and both Jeff and Dan are nice fellows. Dan brought in his backpack a small pile of Mathewson cards, including many I had not seen in person before.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

The meeting's only unanimity was that we doubted BcD could crack a tango egg if his life depended on it.