NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Vibe at the National

Wonder how all the shenanigans of late will affect the mood at this year's National. I've been to three and had a great time each time. Exciting to be around all that stuff with people who are in the same hobby and occasionally to put a name on a face. But the nicer stuff is usually absurdly overpriced. Will people be more or less inclined to take a flyer on an expensive purchase? On one had at least you can look at it in person before buying. But honestly the swirl of activity at the show makes it hard for me to concentrate on anything. Almost dizzying in intensity. Everywhere you look there are exciting things to see. I'm guessing that the market for higher end stuff will drop off this year. Sort of a dark cloud hanging over everything nice. The mere fact that a prewar card presents well is immediately suspect. And that's depressing.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:06 PM

The National is more about meeting up with fellow collectors and dealers, enjoying dinners after the show, having a few cold ones, etc,... and less about acquiring vintage cards.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The National is more about meeting up with fellow collectors and dealers, enjoying dinners after the show, having a few cold ones, etc,... and less about acquiring vintage cards.
Completely agree...

But I do think it will be a vibrant show this year. Chicago is the only really good venue they have, and seems like this year's show is garnering lots of attention and buzz. I believe there will plenty of interesting activity and subsequent water-cooler talk, both good and bad.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Swarmed with UC’s and cameras
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Is that regular or Diet Dr.Pepper?
It is almost all about seeing everyone, for me. The last several years have been sparse on my buys. I purchased a few small things just because I felt like I needed to. It's been awhile since i purchased anything much. That said, a National is the place I found my Horner AL League photo. So good things can happen. But a lot of it, for me, is meeting up with old hobby friends I rarely, if ever, see otherwise.
But to the original question, I think it won't be a lot different than the last several nationals. There will be closer attention paid to cards in TPG holders, especially high grade ones, I would imagine. But otherwise not much different.

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 07-14-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default National

The National is great. The vibe will be good and the purchases will still be made. If you look at this forum there may be 30-40 guys really backing off of buying. It is still buyer beware and buy the card not the grade.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Most people attending the National will not even know about the scandal or of the discussion on Net54, so it will be interesting to see how this information will be circulated. Also, some of the people who are told about this, who have a very large investment in graded cards, will have no interest in hearing it and will continue to spend money as they always have.

It's going to be a mixed bag regarding how everyone takes this in. Expect a wide array of opinions. Chances are many more people wil be buying, and not boycotting.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

For non-registry types it will have zero impact.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:46 PM

Wont worry about the mood at the National. I'm not going.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:52 PM

Forgot to add that Leon (Hi Leon !!!) is one of the guys that actually says hello to me, even though I'm a low end collector.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well last year I made a high grade postwar PSA slabbed purchase on an impulse. Probably won't do that again, though I am still 100% satisfied with the card

I think raw cards and cards that are hard to mess with for technical reasons will do well this year. I know I am bringing way fewer slabbed cards than I have in the past, though part of that is changes in my inventory.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-14-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 PM
DR
David R@tliff

well, unless you don't like it, i'm planning to post a daily update again this year.

i'm interested to see how much impact this all has, and i'm definitely expecting some "distractions" to be happening around certain booths for a good part of the week.

we shall see.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
well, unless you don't like it, i'm planning to post a daily update again this year.

i'm interested to see how much impact this all has, and i'm definitely expecting some "distractions" to be happening around certain booths for a good part of the week.

we shall see.
I also will not be attending this year...but I agree there will be impact that will be seen and heard.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Don Hontz

It should be interesting on the impact on what has happened with the doctored cards at the National---I set up with mostly all graded cards, I very seldom buy off ebay and never from PWCC etc. I buy from Collectors, Dealers and large collections. Many of my slabbed cards are also old holders. Checking over my cards, I seem to be ok---havent seen any of the outed cards---There have been a few larger shows the last month and all seems to be ok with sales of graded cards. Anyway, I will find out in a few weeks. I think there will be a slight impact on sales. My anticipation is I may be off by 10% in sales due to this debacle.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Forgot to add that Leon (Hi Leon !!!) is one of the guys that actually says hello to me, even though I'm a low end collector.
I'm one of the others
Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Interesting that the folks who actually sell cards think there will be a some impact, while others think only 30 people in the world (all on this board) give a hoot about what's going on.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

There may be a lawyer booth there....
Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default A Laugh.....sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
There may be a lawyer booth there....
I have been following the unfolding horror show closely. This is my first comment but this post got me to smirk, chortle and find a little levity in all of the building sadness and anger.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Most don’t care they will be spending their money like a rich teenage girl with her millionaire Daddy’s Credit Card....
PSA the Major Auction Houses, and Dealers Know This....Collectors and Registry Guys Are Addicted.....they Don’t want their investments or business to be destroyed.
The Lines at PSA will be longer then Ever....I expect to see Zero Impact On Sales...

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-15-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM
Drew W@i$e

The lines will be out the door for PSA! But will they address the scandal?

Last edited by parkplace33; 07-16-2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
The lines will be out the door for PSA! But will they address the scandal?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! WHAT SCANDAL ?? EVERYTHING IS GREAT WOULD YOU LIKE A REGISTRY MEDAL hahahah what a joke.

PSA is smart.... they know to to keep hush... they have the registry sheeple all is well....To many people are making money hand over fist.... the dealers, the consignment guys on ebay, investors and collectors alike....they don't want this gravy train to stop... you will hear nothing but good things from PSA.....the Industry is Stronger then Ever and Will only Get Stronger the Masses Don't Care

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-16-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Default Looking at going to first National show

So maybe I should have started a new thread but interested in advice for going to my first National show. Live close enough to drive and have been saying for the past few years that I was going to go. Not to purchase a ton, just for the experience and see more than what's on eBay and the auction sites, lol. Interested in what more seasoned veterans have to say. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagy View Post
So maybe I should have started a new thread but interested in advice for going to my first National show. Live close enough to drive and have been saying for the past few years that I was going to go. Not to purchase a ton, just for the experience and see more than what's on eBay and the auction sites, lol. Interested in what more seasoned veterans have to say. Thanks!
They’ll tell you to wear comfortable shoes and bring a roller-bag or backpack. But best advice is to bring more cash than you think you’ll need. You will inevitably see some cool things you want, and cash is the preferred payment method. Better to have more than you need, as opposed to less.

You don’t have to spend it all, but it’s good to have that option. I missed out on something really cool at my first National, simply because I didn’t have enough cash. And still kicking myself 20 years later!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Thanks! Really didn't even think about bringing cash. Great to know!