NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Default Cracking a BGS / BVG case

Posted By: Richard

Sorry for the delay in starting this thread.

This is, what I believe, the easiest way to crack a Beckett case. It takes about 10 seconds with the right tools. The first time you use this method, you will probably have a heart attack - especially if you are cracking a high end card.

I would recommend first starting off on a cheap $1-5 card for practice. Once you are comfortable with the process, then start cracking those Ruth and Mantle rookies!

Tools: Decent quality hammer, sizable flathead screwdriver - I use a 1/4 craftsman, safety goggles, hard surface/floor - I use my garage slab, and a couple of sheets of newspaper.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Spread out the newspaper. Place the flat of the screwdriver blade vertical so that the bottom edge of the flip (label) is about in the center of the blade.

Give the top of the screwdriver a good whack with the hammer, driving straight down. If you don't hit hard enough, the case will not split cleanly in half.

WHACK!!

Tada! Case splits right down the middle. The flip is a little crunched - hope you didn't want to save it. The card is still housed in its protective sleeve which will need to be cut open with scissors.

10 seconds flat. A job well done. Now let's start cracking to skew them pop reports!

Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I would think this would put pressure on the center of the card and possibly crease it or at least leave a mark.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

that sounds, and looks...incredibly scary. i don't even wanna know how richard came up with this method!

Old 01-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Jay - no pressure is applied on the card at all. I believe that the Beckett case is made from a much more brittle (and harder) plastic than PSA, SGC and GAI so it tends to crack and splinter rather than bow.

I have probably cracked about 50 Beckett cases and have never had a problem with bent cards.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Q - I knew you would love it!

Remember, if you love your Jagrs, set them free!

I hope the thread was worth the wait

Old 01-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

That is the coolest thing I've seen all year.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Richard sporting the BGS slab Very cool method with cool pics though I do agree with Q, it looks a wee bit scary.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Nobody knows about freeing Beckett cards like Richard. That method doesn't look completely safe to me, but if Richard says it works then it works. Good stuff.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

this could be the reason why the pop reports are off. Snap crackle pop = very watered down pop reports since the same cards get logged in several times at different graded

Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

none of us have BVG held cards! Not a one! You own all the Vintage ones ever graded by them now~

Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

i think that method works well! vary well! i used to use a table saw to cut the vary upper part of the case then get a screw driver and try to pry it open, never had a problem. but this looks awesome, good work!!!!!! beleive me no pressure applied to the card. it just cracks. the plastic doesnt bend down, unless u r on a soft surface if your on a flat surface, it works great.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

I realize that this method does seem scary, which is why I recommend buying some cheap Beckett cases to experiment with first. Don't start by cracking your high dollar cards.

The first time you crack a case, chances are you will be apprehensive and not hit the screwdriver hard enough. This will cause the crack to not travel vertically down the length of the case. You may end up with a curved crack which ends at a side. This will also occur if you don't have the blade of the screwdriver perfectly vertical. Worst case, if this happens, you can use a flathead screwdriver to pry the rest open.

Remember, it takes a good strong whack to split the case cleanly in half.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

so after a restless night pondering of cracked BGS cases and freed Jaromir cards dancing in my head...heeding Richard's advice (and following with blind faith) I decided to try it out:

....crack, CRACK, CRACKED!!!!! It took 3 tries:

ahh it worked! My god it worked, Richard was NOT playing an April Fool's joke, in early January.

good as new. Now I just need to gather enough courage to crack out cards upwards of over $10...

Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

LOL

Look at the curve on Quan's BGS holder compared to the straight professional job on Richard's. You can always tell the difference between the amateur Beckett crackers from the pros like Richard.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

LOL

Not to mention that the pros use much better tools (i.e. graphite hammer rather than something that was left out in the rain).

Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

just cracked out my 2nd...the carnage was even worse than the 1st, card still miraculously not damage.

p.s. sorry e those tools have been in my family for generations. they may not be much to u but they are the only thing left to remind us poor immigrants of our homeland in this strange, cold world...

Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Q - you may want to consider a screwdriver with a bigger blade. You may be having problems because the width (not length) of the blade tip is too skinny.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

You only go with good old US of A CRAFTSMEN screwdrivers! Yeah baby~
you got it going on now.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

After these action shots, I feel like I need to add Richard and Quan to my list of All-Time Greatest "Hitters"!

Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Richard,

Thank you for your excellent explanation on how to crack BVG cases. I remembered this link and remembered the pictures that you presented, even though they are gone now.

I took a $100 card into my garage, put my newspaper down, picked up the hammer and screwdriver and CRACK, it opened immediately. And it was fun and a rush that this might ruin the card. But it was just as easy as you described.

By the way, I am in education so I look at the way someone presents his information. Your description was as good as I have ever seen.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 03-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Cy -

Glad the info was helpful. I should have put a disclaimer that I am not to be held responsible for any damage that is done to cards or people while performing this procedure.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Seems to me that a vintage hammer brings a lot of character to the operation. Anyone can use the shiney stuff, if you like it.