NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly off the subject but still card collecting related

Posted By: warshawlaw 

You know Lennox Lewis is defending his title next week in LA? Well, the promoters set up a free public workout at Universal Studios today, which is like 5 minutes from my office. So I went over there. The setup was great. The ring was in the middle of a public square and the barricade was mayby 10 feet from ringside, so we got to watch the action right up close.

The first guy working out was Shane Mosley. Unbelievable speed. Couldn't even follow his hands at times. He is gonna kill DeLaHoya in September--you heard it here first. I tried like hell to get his autograph, but for some reason he wouldn't sign. He was signing for lots of people, but I realize it was mostly all nice stuff that he signed, not just a card like I had.

Lewis's workout was really impressive. He is gigantic (I'm 6'4" 245# and he was taller than I am). He and I weigh around the same but he is all muscle. And very smooth on his feet. Look for him to do a lot of jabbing and slipping on Klitschko. I think it will go the distance with Lewis cutting him up all the way unless Vitaly lands a lucky one. His trainer is Emmanuel Steward. The guy is 58 years old and looks like he's 40. Great physique. There was a pretty big crowd and the handlers wouldn't let Lewis stop walking to sign, so he got only a few sigs on the walk. AND MINE WAS ONE!!!!! I have a 74" reach, so I got on the front barricade and leaned over, and got a sigature and a handshake. Really just a scrawl, but what the hell, it's my favorite champ since Ali. Got it on a 1991 Kayo card.

Steward was another story. He is also training Lucia Riker, a woman boxer. She was working out after Lewis, and virtually no one was watching. I was about 10 feet from Steward and he was more or less standing around, so I asked for his autograph and he signed a 1991 Kayo card for me. Funny thing is that they spelled his name wrong on the front ("Stewart") and he corrected it. He then flipped over the card, crossed out his birthdate and wrote in a different one!! I guess he's signed a lot of these.

So, overall it was a pretty good day, considering I'd not even heard about the workout until this morning when I saw an item in the paper.

Remember a few weeks ago when we had the string about becoming turned off or jaded on sports collecting? This was very refreshing. It was really nice to go collecting for a change, as opposed to bidding, buying and selling, and whining about the same. You forget what a kick it is to see such finely honed athletes up close and personal, and to get a momento to mark the occasion. If you have the chance to go to a promotional event where any signining is incidental, it may be worthwhile simply to remind you that we collect for many reasons but one of the main ones is the admiration we feel for the athletes.

Doesn't hur that these guys are all among the "good guys" in the sport. . .

Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom S.

I thought Lennox Lewis will fight with Mike Tyson for the rematch. I guess I am so behind on those boxing news.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

Bob says Mosley can't take a punch very well.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

Some of the best bouts I've ever seen were no names at the Pasadena convention center just south of Houston.

Julie is right...Mosley has no chin and no chance against de la Hoya. Vegas will have it at 3 or 4 to 1.

Lewis should fight Chris Byrd. LOL

Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw