NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Genesis of an Old Judge Team Change

During the 1889 season, Goodwin changed Klusman's team designation from Milwaukee to Denver to reflect a team change. At first they just wrote the new team name in on the negative. Later they formally changed it in the name plate. Note: they never made a change to the Milwaukee name on the jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.8 KB, 358 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Alex

Does the final version say "Denvers"?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Yes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Alex

That's interesting. I wonder why they changed from Denver to Denvers?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It is not unusual for the team designation to be either singular or plural.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Alex

Thanks for sharing.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Neat trio, I like the middle one. I wonder if the 3rd version would have appeared if the "N" were correctly scribed on the negative. Someone needed more practice writing backwards.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Jeff

Good stuff as always Jay.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Barry Sloate

What's really interesting, at least to me, is that the trade of an obscure player from Milwaukee to Denver was not exactly a seismic event. The average baseball fan probably didn't even have a clue. But the design department got word of it, and had to quickly make the change for the next round of production. That they were so fastidious with something like this is really amazing. The trade could only have mattered to a fan from either Milwaukee or Denver. Why would one in Brooklyn, for example, care if Klusman's card still read "Milwaukee"? It's fascinating to think of what was going on in the production room at the time.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 AM

As an interesting side note, Klusman played his first game for Denver on May 4,1889....exactly 125 years (to the day) before you posted this card change.

Two other things on this. He homered in his first game and he was a bum at the time due to a shoulder injury, so he really bounced around that season as teams were willing to give him a shot based on name alone. He wasn't traded at all, just signed and released often. Even played for another team from Denver, which is why I searched for info on him. Seeing if the name change could actually be a new team in the OJ set. He finished the year for the Denver Solis of the Colorado State League
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 05-05-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

John--interesting idea, but probably not the case. Goodwin interchanged the singular and plural of city names on a regular basis. Great research!
For those who don't know, there is no one better than John at baseball research.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
John--interesting idea, but probably not the case. Goodwin interchanged the singular and plural of city names on a regular basis. Great research!
For those who don't know, there is no one better than John at baseball research.
I didn't think so once I found out the order in which he played in the Western Association, but based on your scans, I figured if he was with Denver first, then Milwaukee, then the other Denver team would have been correct. That team also had William White, so if you find his card with Denver, it would be pretty rare aka 1 of 1

Thanks for the compliment. It also means I have a little too much time as well
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL, I probably find that White card in a lot with a Buffalo PL card.

Last edited by oldjudge; 05-05-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
LOL, I probably find that White card in a lot with a Buffalo PL card.
I still think there is a Buffalo card out there. For those that don't know, a large original collection was found in the late 80's and the players were sorted by teams, written down on paper. One of the teams listed was Buffalo, but no Buffalo card has ever been found. It's still possible, there are a couple teams that are extremely rare in the set with only one known player, so who knows.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I had never heard that story. Four of the eight PL teams have no known cards. Perhaps a Cleveland PL card will be found also. Hopefully, it is a Browning or a Delahanty.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:27 PM

I was actually thinking it was the International League Buffalo team. They had four OJ players in 1888 and seven of them in 1889 including Deacon White as manager for a short time.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Joe Gonsowski

John, is this maybe the card you are referring to? I recently picked it up and didn't think much of it since it isn't a Detroit card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Mgr Buffalos.jpg (49.8 KB, 120 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Is that card a joke? It pictures McGreachery, but Goodwin has called him White. Perhaps because he was very pale. Either that, or White is real a contraction of "Why" + "T", as in "Why does he drink tea, instead of beer?"
Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM

I just wanted to note that there are two differences between the middle and right Klusman cards in Jay's original post.

The first difference, which has been noted, is that the middle card includes the handwritten "DENVER" team caption with the backward "N" whereas the right card includes the typed "Denvers" team caption in script.

But a second difference is that in the middle card the "MILWAUKEE" team name remains clear on Klusman's uniform whereas in the right card an imperfect attempt has been made to redact this team name with a solid black block overlay.

Here are a few other Denver OJs that exhibit the same phenomenon. The ones in the SGC holders are "Type 3s" (final version: Denvers in typed script, Milwaukee redacted) whereas the one in the PSA holder is a "Type 2" (interim version: handwritten DENVER with backwards N, Milwaukee remains clear).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172 Klusman Bat and Ball Front.jpg (74.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg N172 Klusman Bat No Ball Front.jpg (75.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg N172 Klusman Catching Front.jpg (70.1 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by sreader3; 07-06-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great observation Scot. BTW, according to the 1890 Reach guide, Klusman played for three teams in the WA, first Milwaukee, then Des Moines, and then finally Denver. It makes sense that Milwaukee was the first since that was the uniform that he was photographed in. What this also says is that, unless Goodwin missed or ignored the Des Moines move, that there may be a Des Moines card lurking out there. It also raises the slim possibility that the handwritten Denver refers to the WA team and the typeset Denvers to the Solis. However, I would doubt that this is the case.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 PM

Thanks Jay. And I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you were the one who sold the above SGC 84 Klusman Type 3 to me at a reasonable price a few years back when I was starting a Denvers collection.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Thanks Jay. And I would be remiss if I didn't point out that you were the one who sold the above SGC 84 Klusman Type 3 to me at a reasonable price a few years back when I was starting a Denvers collection.
That is a great looking card.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanks Leon.

A final note is that the Klusman Denvers that was recently sold on the BST, see

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190036

is a Type 2. The differences with the Type 3 that I acquired from Jay are easily noted and consistent with the above discussion.