NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Dan McCarthy

Default B/S/T Suggestion

I know there have been a few threads recently regarding B/S/T issues but I was wanted to add something....

I don't know if there is a reason for deleting the prices of things once they're sold, but I know I (and probably others, especially those who don't subscribe to VCP) would appreciate if people left the prices up even once they're sold. A ton of cards go through here that are pretty tough to find, so auction/eBay results can be scarce -- it'd be nice to be able to check on what past sales/asking prices for rarer things have been, if only to get a ballpark value on something.

Dan
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Chris

Default I like it

I like the idea, but it is up to the poster (seller). Why they remove the sale price, I don't know (to avoid confusion, the the price was negotaited down..not sure) I do like to go through some older BST threads and see the change (much higher) in card prices over the years/months. Similar to going through an EBayer feedback to see how much they paid for the card they are selling a few weeks after buying. Again, good idea but up to seller and buyer...
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Jim VB

Not sure this is relevant in all cases, but some buyers would prefer to have prices deleted.

If your intention is to resell the card, you don't need proof of the purchase price hanging out there.

I think this is up to buyers and sellers to decide how to handle it.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 AM

I agree. I don't sell much, but when I do, I just leave the asking price up as it was originally posted and mark *SOLD* next to it.
JimB

Edited to add: If a buyer requested that I remove the price, I would be happy to do so.

Last edited by E93; 04-20-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default good idea

I agree about leaving prices on sold items but many, if not most, sellers take the price down. They feel the buyer might not want how much they paid for the item to be known. Also, if you have a card up for $100 and it sells to an offer of $75, then the seller would have to go back and edit the price it sold for....Again, makes no difference to me....
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Jimmy M

Default Keep em

I agree, it is nice to have the prices remain once they are sold. I also understand why they are often removed. But, for the most part, it is fairly easy to see if the price ended up being lower than the original posted price: i.e. the seller initially posted as 'asking price', 'offers accepted', 'price reduction', etc. Knowing at least the original price can only be helpful, IMO. Also, if you see the asking price of $100 - with an immediate reply of 'I'll take it', then it can be assumed that was the price paid. Just my thoughts. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Clayton

I think it's a great idea.I've often gotten to the B/S/T and missed a card that was posted for sale,and all it says is "sold".Which is fine too,but I always wonder what it sold for,and if (money wise)I would've had a shot at it.......
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Sometimes I leave prices up after the sale, it kind of depends what the card was. I usually delete them out of respect for the privacy of the buyers on odd or higher priced stuff.

I do agree that I like to look and see what stuff sold for in the past just to get a better fell on cards that I like, but don't really know anything about. Personally, it does not really matter to me one way or the other. I guess I do it, becuase that is how most of the post were when I started to buy and sell things here a couple years ago.

Also, some of the cards that I sell, I sell below the listed price, and will sell groups way below the each cost, to save myself the hassle. I would be happy to leave up the asking prices, but probably not negotiated costing.

Thanks and hope all is well,
Bob
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Jeff

Once you reach agreement with a buyer ask his/her preference. If he/she doesn't care if you leave it up, leave it up.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Once you reach agreement with a buyer ask his/her preference. If he/she doesn't care if you leave it up, leave it up.

Just be sure to ask in strict confidence.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Dan McCarthy

Of course I agree it's completely the seller's prerogative to leave a price up, and wouldn't expect someone to go back and edit in a negotiated price. It's easy to know the value of common things like T205s and T206s, but when it comes to a rarer issue it's sometimes hard to get any bearing on what to buy or sell one for. Even if there's an example or two on eBay it's probably going to be with a ridiculous buy it now, and it's impossible to know if the seller marked it up 20% or 2000%.

For example, a couple of Steven's Firearms and a Baguer's Chocolate are on the B/S/T right now... if I happen across something from one of those sets a year from now I'm not going to have any idea if a reasonable price is $30 or $300 or $3000.

I don't at all mind removing prices for privacy's sake, but thought people might be editing them out in order to avoid confusion -- I would think a "SOLD" does the trick even if a price is still present -- and just wanted to point out that leaving them in would be helpful!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
D.B. Cooper

I've always left my prices up, with the assumption that if any buyer ever asked me to remove the price after purchasing a card, I'd honor his/joann's request. But in my 3 years on the BST nobody has ever asked.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Just be sure to ask in strict confidence.
Rob,
That goes without saying. Absolutely.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Rob,
That goes without saying. Absolutely.

LOL!

Jeff, as you may be aware, Rob has often been accused of saying lots of stuff that should "go without saying."

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Phil Garry

E-bay (for a limited time frame) and major auction house sale prices are always available for public view so why not B/S/T prices? I believe that the majority of sellers on the B/S/T ask for private e-mail responses so no one would know who purchased the item anyway.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
E-bay (for a limited time frame) and major auction house sale prices are always available for public view so why not B/S/T prices? I believe that the majority of sellers on the B/S/T ask for private e-mail responses so no one would know who purchased the item anyway.

Phil,
All that being true, it's a fairly small community and if the buyer wanted the amount to not be known I could understand bc if it was relisted on ebay or the BST it would not take a lot of sleuthing. I say let the buyer decide.

Jeff

........and Jim VB, good point.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 04-20-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: sorry Barry, it had been awhile since I used the word sleuth in its written form
Old 04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Default When I sell stuff...

I ask for emails so that I don't clutter up the BST with misc. communications about my items.

Doug
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Tim

Most selling formats with a third party publish realized prices for disclosure reasons.

The B/S/T doesn't include a third party making them private transactions and posting realized prices should be up to the buyer.

In the future if and when I sell a card I will ask if the buyer would like the price left on the listing.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:14 AM
qualitycards

Sometimes I leave the prices listed, other times I don't.
But if anyone is curious of what it sold for (or traded for) PM me.
I'm sure others who have sold cards would reveal prices if asked.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 AM
T!M R10rd@n

On a positive note, if the seller deletes the price then your wife will have a harder time finding out what you REALLY spent on that card that just arrived!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Martin Parker

Not sure if anyone else agrees with this or not - but I like to look at card images and notice that they often are deleted along with the sale price when the cards sell. Please leave them!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart8081 View Post
Not sure if anyone else agrees with this or not - but I like to look at card images and notice that they often are deleted along with the sale price when the cards sell. Please leave them!
If you use the board's software for images (or, as Bruce calls it, "posting mechanism") they stay. If you use an image hosting site, such as Photobucket AND... later on, reorganize your site, or delete the image, the pictures on here go "poof."

When I first opened my Photobucket site, I just dumped everything into one folder. Soon it got too messy and unwieldy. So I set up multiple folders and spent a day moving images around. Next thing I know, everything I had ever posted was gone.