NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2022, 06:03 PM
James M.

Default How will the impending lockout effect The Hobby?

With Jeff Passan, reporting that neither side of the table is even close to having meaningful conversations, let alone an agreement, one has to think that should we lockout, the Hobby might be effected in a negative way.

The last time a lockout occurred, the Hobby suffered deeply. Assuming one happens again I do not think the dropoff will be as significant, as COVID more or less caused all collecting to take on a life of its own. I think modern takes most of the brunt, but I do think Vintage sees a small pullback should any sort of delay takes place. Which I think is possible. If spring training is delayed than that will be the real indicator.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:21 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Gut feeling is I’m not seeing how it would help in any way but also don’t think it will affect much. Interest in Cy, Ty, Ruth, Aaron, etc seems almost completely untethered to today’s game.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Gut feeling is I’m not seeing how it would help in any way but also don’t think it will affect much. Interest in Cy, Ty, Ruth, Aaron, etc seems almost completely untethered to today’s game.
Yeah, I don’t see the blue chip stuff pulling back. As much as I’d love to see I’d be pretty surprised if it did.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:39 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I think the Ruth's, Gehrigs, Cobbs, and Mantles of the world stay the way they are for the most part. I think modern would most likely get hit the hardest. I could see the lower tier of Hall of Famers, who did see some moderate increases fall back to earth.

Donscards.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

My first thought was that modern would be impacted if we lose part of the season, but we lost over 100 games in 2020, and prices still went crazy. I realize we're not as locked down now as back then, but with this new variant, who knows?
Old 01-05-2022, 07:36 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Unless we lose the entire season I do not believe the collection industry will be hurt
1. Fanatics buying Topps means they believe on the industry and they are investing pretty heavy to get into it
2. So much new money coming into the hobby that it is no longer a true hobby and becoming more of a commodity like stocks and also less impacted
3. Vintage minimal to no impact while modern has more to lose but enough cards and enough activity to cover for an extended period
4. So much no interest, new stories and news about the industry and with each auction when a top level card goes for top dollar more people see it and more get the “investment” bug

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-05-2022, 07:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think it will affect people who spend a lot of money gambling on young players with the hope of flipping them if they get hot. I doubt that's a huge portion of the hobby and in any case the impact will be temporary.

I guess too if it looks like a long work stoppage, it could affect Trout's values, as his career prospects have already started to dim a bit missing so many games.

Is there anyone on a milestone quest that would seriously be impacted by loss of a big part of a season, not sure.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-05-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:51 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
My first thought was that modern would be impacted if we lose part of the season, but we lost over 100 games in 2020, and prices still went crazy. I realize we're not as locked down now as back then, but with this new variant, who knows?
I think most people are willing to combat the latest variant. I can't speak for other states, but here in NY cases of Omicron are through the roof, yet Restaurants, Schools, Businesses really aren't slowing down for the most part.

Peter I would agree, the prospect flippers, would probably be effected most by this. With our transition from a Hobby to an Asset Class, I think modern has the most to lose.

Donscards.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:00 PM
Justin Burleson

If Pujols can convince someone to give him another year, he can continue his quest for 700 HR. Striking distance of Babe on the RBI list. Missing the season would hurt his chances of another season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think it will affect people who spend a lot of money gambling on young players with the hope of flipping them if they get hot. I doubt that's a huge portion of the hobby and in any case the impact will be temporary.

I guess too if it looks like a long work stoppage, it could affect Trout's values, as his career prospects have already started to dim a bit missing so many games.

Is there anyone on a milestone quest that would seriously be impacted by loss of a big part of a season, not sure.
Isn't Miguel Cabrera within striking distance of a new milestone?

Edit: 13 hits from 3k, 3 doubles to 600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-05-2022 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:00 PM
Tim Odeen

I wanted to add, I said it in another thread, I hope the lockout lasts into the season or wipes out the season. I am a fan of the modern game, and it has some real underlying problems that need to be addressed. Cough*tanking*cough

Since I collect players of my youth, I'm not very concerned about the latest new products and when or how they are released. However, I could see prices for lower tier HOF increasing in price due to flipping, similar to Rickey Henderson RC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-06-2022, 05:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

I'd love for it to mean that vintage takes a nosedive, and certain cards I want / need become wildly affordable again. But we all know that ain't happening.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-06-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:35 AM
Jeremy

On its own I'm not sure it would impact high-end vintage too much, but combined with a significant Fed pullback causing a fall in asset prices, I think the impact could be significant.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 01-06-2022, 01:03 PM
Rich Klein

If History of 1994-95 is any guide AND this lasts a long-time expect vintage (to loosely mean 2005 or back to have a nice bump in interest and people collect the cards of earlier eras.

I know that's not everyone's definition of vintage but I'm going with the historical precedent here

Rich
Old 01-06-2022, 01:58 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If those overpriced cry babies go on strike again that will be the last straw. Prices on cards will plunge. Baseball is dying already and no one cares. Another labor action will probably be the end of the national pastime as we know it. Kids today don't care about the game already. Most fans never came back after the last strike. One more strike like that and you wont be able to give away tickets to games.

(None of the above is true. Not one word of it. But I thought maybe I will save some other person from having to write it.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Let me just say this. I had no idea that a lockout was even happening, and besides my Mets, I barely know the names of any other current major leaguers, so it's not going to have an affect on me at all. There are probably a helluva lot of other collectors who are in the same boat.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:16 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
If those overpriced cry babies go on strike again that will be the last straw. Prices on cards will plunge. Baseball is dying already and no one cares.
Edited to remove everything I said, as I obviously did not read to Steve's last line. Well put...

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-06-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Doug Goodman

I don't collect much (if anything) that involves players who are currently locked out, and who could potentially go on strike after their lockout ends.

So, it won't really change anything about the hobby for me.

Doug
Old 01-06-2022, 03:45 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
If those overpriced cry babies go on strike again that will be the last straw. Prices on cards will plunge. Baseball is dying already and no one cares. Another labor action will probably be the end of the national pastime as we know it. Kids today don't care about the game already. Most fans never came back after the last strike. One more strike like that and you wont be able to give away tickets to games.

(None of the above is true. Not one word of it. But I thought maybe I will save some other person from having to write it.)
Just as a factual note; The OWNERS have LOCKED OUT the players. Please place blame on those who deserve this stoppage.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:59 PM
Bruce Mattioli

https://springtrainingcountdown.com/
Old 01-06-2022, 04:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
The only app I have on my phone
Old 01-06-2022, 04:06 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Just as a factual note; The OWNERS have LOCKED OUT the players. Please place blame on those who deserve this stoppage.
I'm pro player I will say this though, it does get tiring about Millionaires, yelling at Billionaires though. Too much money has permeated the sport, (all sports really, and a handful of other things in life as well, but I'll keep the discussion on topic)

Related, what angers me the most are the things the guys in the Minors have to go through. I've read some horror stories, from wages, to lodgings, to means of travel. Is it so much to ask for the owners to pony up, and treat the minor leagues a bit better? Absolutely ridiculous. Though I hear the most recent agreement has made things a bit more livable for the players in the lower levels.

Donscards.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It's a fascinating aspect of American culture that the man on the street always takes the side of the billionaire against the millionaire. Every time.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

And I saw an interesting statistic recently that only 30% or so of major leaguers (can't remember the precise number) are actually making a million dollars.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
And I saw an interesting statistic recently that only 30% or so of major leaguers (can't remember the precise number) are actually making a million dollars.
Doesn't surprise me. There are certainly many more making the minimum (or pretty close) than there are making 8 figures.

I have a buddy who made it to the bigs with the Tigers and Red Sox, if you include the time he spent in the minors and before, doing what he needed to do to make it to the bigs for little or no pay, I made more money in the same time frame as a roadie for bands you guys never heard of than he made as a professional baseball player.

But, he had Topps baseball cards, and I don't, so he wins.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-06-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The only thing I know for sure about the lockout is that Clayton Kershaw will spend at least 60 days of it on the DL.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-06-2022, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The only thing I know for sure about the lockout is that Clayton Kershaw will spend at least 60 days of it on the DL.
And DeGrom more than that, and Trout all of it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
It's a fascinating aspect of American culture that the man on the street always takes the side of the billionaire against the millionaire. Every time.
One of many baffling aspects.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:18 PM
James M.

Quote:
I don't want to be misunderstood, the Owners are the problem with this situation. Everything from how they abuse the luxury tax policies (from treating it as a salary cap, to just pocketing the money from revenue sharing), to manipulating players service time, to colluding to keep certain players out of the game (You're telling me no team could've used Bonds in 08?), the list goes on. I'm vehemently pro player, without them, well there is no baseball.

Donscards.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Every thread needs a card.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E92 Dockman.jpg (79.7 KB, 146 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-06-2022, 05:45 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I think baseball will start on time without the lock out affecting any of the regular season.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Harsh! Hahahaha
Old 01-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A lockout would make no different at all to me. I never came back from the '94 one. I don't think it will affect vintage cards if there is one.

and a card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunc1913oaks.jpg (77.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-08-2022, 09:29 AM
Frank Wakefield

A continued lockout will affect old card prices.

Stop and think about it... when you initially started collecting cards, what were they. I don't think any of us would answer T206s, Old Judge's or American Caramels. Most likely, we started with cards contemporary with when we starting. For me, I bought a very few packs of 1964 Topps... in 1964. In 1965, I bought a bunch of cards, all 1965 Topps. And in 1965, as I could bicycle over to a contemporary collector friend's house, I could then trade cards. And he had some cards handed down from his older brother... wow, there were ballcards from 1959. I traded for a very few 1963 cards. And it would be 20 years more before I collected anything old enough to be of interest here on this board.

The point is, the collectors of the old cards were initially young collectors of contemporary cards. Some stay with it and eventually get interested in the old cards. Some pause, then come back to the hobby, sometimes with several pauses. Some stop collecting and abandon the hobby.

The lockout will sour some of the potential new collectors of the old stuff. I'm not saying the lockout will be significant or disastrous for the vintage market; but to think there will be no effect seems naive to me.

The lockout will really screw up players who were looking for "one more year" (like Wainright and Molina), it'll screw up everyone: owners, players, retired players, future players, workers at ballparks, parking structures and the like, front office people, StubHub, and others.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-08-2022 at 04:28 PM.