NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Ronald P. Henry Murphy

Default Anyone strictly buy a single specific player?

Player collectors...... Do you only buy a specific player? I’m mainly interested in collectors that player collect a non-HOF subject. What drew you to said player? How long have you been collecting this player? How many cards do you have of this player not counting dupes? Different front/back combos count as different cards.

As a guy that that strictly collects a non-HOF subject I’m interested to see who else has a similar passion.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Bob Andrews

I collect several different players over multiple sports but my main focus has always been Billy Pierce. He pitched (for the visiting Sox) in the first game I saw as a kid with my father in 1960 at Yankee Stadium. He pitched well, got a couple of hits and became a favorite of mine that day.

I don't have a count as to how many cards/items I have in my Pierce PC. I still have about three items on my want list. His '59 Bazooka is the costliest. I'm not in a hurry but I'll catch it at the right price one day. The others are a 1962 Shirriff Plastic Coin and 1959 Topps Venezuelan Ace Hurlers #156.

Here is a picture I took of it about four years ago and sent to Pierce for a signature. It's grown a bit since.

piercepic.jpg

Last edited by commishbob; 02-27-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 PM
Steve L

I've wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking. I only collect Jake Daubert cards (MLB 1910-1924). I started collecting about 15 years ago. Some years I have been more diligent than others. So unfortunately, I have missed obtaining quite a few cards. I have about 50 different cards. I know there are at least 30 more that I don't have. When I found out that I am very very distantly related to Daubert, I began to collect. I would like to start a PSA set registry for Daubert with photos. I have learned so much over the years.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Kyle May

I have one random pre-war player I PC, which is Grover Hartley. He was the manager for the minor league teams my grandpa and great uncle played on in '40 and '39 respectively. I've been collecting him for a couple of years now, and have 4 of his cards. There are 3 or 4 more on eBay that I need, but a couple of them are listed by yepbg.

I wish I appreciated my grandpa's career (albeit a short one) more when he was alive. I would have loved to have collected these cards and asked him about Hartley.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 02-26-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 PM
R!CK LYON$

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I collect several different players over multiple sports but my main focus has always been Billy Pierce. He pitched (for the visiting Sox) in the first game I saw as a kid with my father in 1960 at Yankee Stadium. He pitched well, got a couple of hits and became a favorite of mine that day.

I don't have a count as to how many cards/items I have in my Pierce PC. I still have about three items on my want list. His '59 Bazooka is the costliest. I'm not in a hurry but I'll catch it at the right price one day. The others are a 1962 Shirriff Plastic Coin and 1959 Topps Venezuelan Ace Hurlers #156.

Here is a picture I took of it about four years ago and sent to Pierce for a signature. It's grown a bit since.

Attachment 306810
You can mark off the shirriff coin it doesn't exsist in that set its only in the salada set. Rick
Old 02-26-2018, 11:28 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
You can mark off the shirriff coin it doesn't exsist in that set its only in the salada set. Rick
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 AM
George E.

Default the only pre-war player's cards I seek out...

My grandfather told me one time that his favorite player when he was young was Schoolboy Rowe. I found a card of him, the Diamond Stars, and sent it to him in the mail. The next time I saw him he gave it back to me saying, "what I am I supposed to do with this?"

Since then, I have picked up a few more. And I have a vague notion of keeping after it.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 AM

I heard there’s a guy on here who collects Cobb...I think his name is Jeff.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Paul S

Just Billy Sullivan Jr. and Sr. stuff (as the signature below says). My grandfather and great grandfather.

Last edited by pbspelly; 02-27-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default John Farrell

Anyone have any collectibles or memorabilia of: John Farrell 2nd Baseman St Louis NL. Played 1901-05.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Val Kehl

Post-War: Pete Runnels & Mickey Vernon, who were my faves when I was a kid.
Pre-War: I started with Walter Johnson, then added Sam Rice, and more recently I added all the other players on the Wash. Senators 1924 (and only) Championship Team.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Scott ku.rtis

I collect 1933 Goudey. When I was a kid in Clearwater, Florida I would get to skip school 1 day per year and watch the Phillies with my grandpa at Jack Russell Stadium --- but for some reason I feel like it was always called Jack Russell Field by my family and friends--- and JR happens to have 2 cards in the 1933 set, so everytime I see one that catches my eye, I buy it. There are a few out there highly graded that are owned by a bid rigger name, so I refuse to buy those. Most others, though, I buy when I see them.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Frank "Lefty" O'Doul is the greatest eligible position player not in the Hall of Fame. Over 970 games (30 shy of the 1,000 used for official records) from 1919 to 1934, Lefty averaged .349, winning two batting championships and setting the NL record for most hits in a season, which still stands. Not in any way a "homer" like Chuck Klein (whose numbers were greatly aided by playing in a small park in Philly), Lefty hit .352 at home and .347 on the road, proving he belongs among the elite hitters in history. After his days in the majors ended, he returned to the Pacific Coast League, where he was the longtime manager of the San Francisco Seals and later the San Diego and Seattle teams. He had a restaurant in San Francisco and was a bon vivant and man about town. Lefty was instrumental in organizing Japanese baseball, whose premiere team, the Giants, was named in his honor. Lefty is one of only 3 Americans in the Japanese baseball hall of fame. There are a number of rather rare Japanese cards of him. He is also one of the few players to have played for the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants while all 3 were in New York City. Lefty died on December 7, 1969. His epitaph reads "He was here at a good time and had a good time while he was here."

I find his story interesting and I used to visit his bar when I lived in SF.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-28-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:48 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default Players with special meaning to me

I collect cards of these players:

Glenn Beckert (First ball player I met. I was 12.)

Eric Soderholm (Fond memories of the 1977 South Side Hit Men. 3rd Base!)

Si Johnson (He's from my hometown of Sheridan, IL) Collection complete as far as I can tell.

Robin Ventura (White Sox. 3rd Base!)

Joe Crede (White Sox. 3rd Base!)

Can you tell 3rd Base is my favorite position and I'm a White Sox fan?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:44 AM
Tim

PCL legend Jigger Statz.........
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Frank "Lefty" O'Doul is the greatest eligible position player not in the Hall of Fame. Over 970 games (30 shy of the 1,000 used for official records) from 1919 to 1934, Lefty averaged .349, winning two batting championships and setting the NL record for most hits in a season, which still stands. Not in any way a "homer" like Chuck Klein (whose numbers were greatly aided by playing in a small park in Philly), Lefty hit .352 at home and .347 on the road, proving he belongs among the elite hitters in history. After his days in the majors ended, he returned to the Pacific Coast League, where he was the longtime manager of the San Francisco Seals and later the San Diego and Seattle teams. He had a restaurant in San Francisco and was a bon vivant and man about town. Lefty was instrumental in organizing Japanese baseball, whose premiere team, the Giants, was named in his honor. Lefty is one of only 3 Americans in the Japanese baseball hall of fame. There are a number of rather rare Japanese cards of him. He is also one of the few players to have played for the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants while all 3 were in New York City. Lefty died on December 7, 1969. His epitaph reads "He was here at a good time and had a good time while he was here."

I find his story interesting and I used to visit his bar when I lived in SF.

Thanks for sharing. For some reason O'Doul slipped thru the cracks for me as far as his baseball feats, etc. Sounds like I'm not the only one :-) Anyway ... quite a career ... and life! And a great candidate for collecting a specific players card if I've ever heard one! Very cool PCL card BTW.

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Mike Reid

If anyone has any Frank Bowerman raw or slabbed cards I may be interested in purchasing them.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Not exclusively so in my case, but I do have about a dozen different Whitey Glazner cards and related items, which for me is a lot, and am always looking for more if anybody has a lead on any of the obscure ones (mainly the various W575-1 types).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E220 Glazner.jpg (79.8 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz Glazner.jpg (76.8 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Glazner photo.jpg (74.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg W573 CdM front.jpg (16.3 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg W573 CdM back.jpg (14.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Ken McMillan

Elmer Miller of the 1921 and 1922 Yankees. He is my Great Great uncle on mom’s side of the family. Have 16 varieties of his card.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Single Player Collector

I collect Brooks Robinson and that’s it as far as players. I know he’s a HOFer, but thought I’d at least respond since it’s “almost” what you were asking.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Richard A.

I collect Canadian-great George Gibson. There is a link to my collection in my signature line. I have just shy of 80 *total* cards. If you don't count different backs, reprints and modern art cards, I have maybe 35-40 different cards. I own only two prewar "non-Gibson" cards.

There are at least 4 others on the board that collect him I'm aware of, whether it's as part of a player collection or a 1909-era Pirates collection.

I first became aware of Gibson after a trip to the Canadian baseball Hall of Fame, but what really put me on the path of learning about him and collecting his cards was reading his chapter in Lawrence Ritter's The Glory of their Times.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

"Indian" Bob Johnson. Only collect informally when I see something unique and different though.

Also going for a Willie Stargell signed card run. Down to needing just four for the basic set.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Jim Smiley

Though I do collect other players, Bill Buckner has a special place in my heart. He hit a homer for the Dodgers in the first MLB game I ever attended. Here's his first professional contract signed as a teenager and the last payroll check he received as a player. There's a whole bunch more in between those two on my website CooperstownExpert.com .

Here's the link to Buckner's page. There are pages for every HoFer and 200+ non-HoFers. If you get bored, take a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckner-first-contract-pg-1-789x1024.jpg (11.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Buckner-last-payroll-check-1024x470.jpg (20.5 KB, 286 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 03:11 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperstownExpert View Post
Though I do collect other players, Bill Buckner has a special place in my heart. He hit a homer for the Dodgers in the first MLB game I ever attended. Here's his first professional contract signed as a teenager and the last payroll check he received as a player. There's a whole bunch more in between those two on my website CooperstownExpert.com .

Here's the link to Buckner's page. There are pages for every HoFer and 200+ non-HoFers. If you get bored, take a look.
Well done! Really enjoyed viewing the Buckner items.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:24 PM
$teve O.

I collect Carl Furillo stuff.I grew up in the same area that he did and got to
know him a little.First met him when I was 12,and he signed '58 Topps for me in his driveway.He would always got out of his way to talk to me when he would see me.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:07 PM

I collect Dave "Kong" Kingman exclusively for modern cards. Nobody hit them farther or higher!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I heard there’s a guy on here who collects Cobb...I think his name is Jeff.

Who’s cobb. Is he a HOF?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Jason B.

Default Ed FitzGerald

Great thread -- I started collecting Ed FitzGerald cards about 4 years ago after a family friend who knew I was a vintage collector posted a pic of his '50B card on my Facebook feed.
She was right on -- I was a dead-ringer for Ed back in his younger days (from his '47-50 cards, roughly).

Now I look a bit older these days, as I'm sure Ed does as well (although he is apparently still going strong at 93!), but that neat realization was enough to kick me into collecting his cards.

A few years later, I've tracked down all but 1 card -- the '47 Signal Oil issue when he was with the Sacramento Solons. Other tougher issues were the Briggs (of course) and the Sunbeam.
I guess i also technically need a 1957 Topps #22 Jerry Snyder in PSA 8 or better, as the card was an error that actually used a picture of Ed FitzGerald instead of Snyder.
That said, you never know where a new find will come from -- I just found this '48 Pirates Postcard this week, incredibly.

It's been fun having this as a side project to Set collecting and other HOF player runs, which are more expensive and more predictable in nature.

Fitz1.jpg
Fitz2.jpg
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 03-03-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:34 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Probably too modern for most people’s taste, but been putting together collection of game used and cards for Josh Phelps. This is my game used from a few years back and I’ve added quite a bit since then. Also have over 80%+ of all his minor/major league cards. Josh is a good guy and still stay in touch...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmachine View Post
Player collectors...... Do you only buy a specific player? I’m mainly interested in collectors that player collect a non-HOF subject. What drew you to said player? How long have you been collecting this player? How many cards do you have of this player not counting dupes? Different front/back combos count as different cards.

As a guy that that strictly collects a non-HOF subject I’m interested to see who else has a similar passion.
I'm an avid Hal Chase collector. I'm always looking for memorabilia of his that I don't have. I'm still on the lookout for a signed cut. I recently p purchased one that turned out to be a fake. Luckily it had a money back guarantee, so I was only out the authentication fee. The search continues for that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman59 View Post
I collect cards of these players:

Glenn Beckert (First ball player I met. I was 12.)

Eric Soderholm (Fond memories of the 1977 South Side Hit Men. 3rd Base!)

Si Johnson (He's from my hometown of Sheridan, IL) Collection complete as far as I can tell.

Robin Ventura (White Sox. 3rd Base!)

Joe Crede (White Sox. 3rd Base!)

Can you tell 3rd Base is my favorite position and I'm a White Sox fan?
Beckert is such a nice person. Visited with him many times at Cubs camp. He is not in the best of health but still a great guy.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Er1k Greeñ.w00d

I collect a number of players, mostly with connections to childhood. The player most appropriate for this forum is Oscar Stanage. The first T (206) Card I got was an Oscar Stanage. My dad bought me a pair (also a Hinchman) on a visit. We went to a long-gone card shop in Anaheim, where he bought me a pair. The rest is history.

Erik Greenwood

Old 03-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Brad W.

I have collections of:

Rabbit Maranville - http://www.rabbitmaranville.com

Carl Lundgren - http://www.baseballcardstars.com/per...ollection.html

Don Zimmer - http://baseballcardstars.com/zimfiles/index.html
Old 03-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Allie Reynolds and Rocky Colavito

I collect Allie Reynolds and Rocky Colavito cards.

Why? My father grew up in the Bronx as a Yankees fan. He was a pitcher in the minors and semi-pro teams in NYC, including a team called the Mohawks where he played with Rocky Colavito and many other good players.

His favorite pitcher was Allie Reynolds.

I am working on a master set of Allie Reynolds. The basic set is 10 cards, and the master set has another 15 or so. Always looking to buy a nice card of the "Super Chief"

Both of these guys should be in the Hall of Fame.

Tony

Last edited by Bram99; 03-06-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not strictly collected but back in the day I had several Nixey cards as his is the estate my Horner Composite came from. No longer mine but a cool card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e107.jpg (71.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

For Vintage, Harry Wolter only.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
I collect Allie Reynolds and Rocky Colavito cards.

Why? My father grew up in the Bronx as a Yankees fan. .....

His favorite pitcher was Allie Reynolds.

Both of these guys should be in the Hall of Fame.

Tony
Small world...my Dad grew up a Yankee fan* and Allie Reynolds was his favorite pitcher as well. I have a few of his cards for just that reason.

*=My Dad grew up in Brooklyn, just blocks from Ebbets Field but it wasn't until Game 5 of the 1947 World Series did he step inside.