NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Just to add a pinch of intrigue, my '55 Bowman Mantle does not have the tell tale white dots, measures fine, nor any alterations that I can spot, but that doesn't mean something nefarious didn't go down and the card won't grade. I am embarrassed that I bought Earl's story hook line and sinker, but what the hell. I felt like taking a chance, but am so glad I didn't win the 3 Mantles. If the winner has been reading this post, they must be appalled.
Leon, I recall you had some contact with somebody at Ebay about Battlefields some time back. Shouldn't they contacted? This latest egregious example is borderline fraud.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Just to add a pinch of intrigue, my '55 Bowman Mantle does not have the tell tale white dots, measures fine, nor any alterations that I can spot, but that doesn't mean something nefarious didn't go down and the card won't grade. I am embarrassed that I bought Earl's story hook line and sinker, but what the hell. I felt like taking a chance, but am so glad I didn't win the 3 Mantles. If the winner has been reading this post, they must be appalled.
Leon, I recall you had some contact with somebody at Ebay about Battlefields some time back. Shouldn't they contacted? This latest egregious example is borderline fraud.
John,
If your card isn't that one from the REA lot it is the only one I am not positive of, of those three. The centering is key. It was hard to tell on yours (pretty dang sure it's the same card) but the other 2 shown have unique, altered centering. There is no way, imo, those 2 aren't the same cards. The bottom of the '53 is absolutely laughable. Folks in the know have been contacted.

Last edited by Leon; 11-28-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Robert Williams

It's almost like printing money...crack out awesome looking SGC "A" cards, and flip them raw for big bucks. The buyers have hopes that the cards will grade high, and unfortunately, that is not the case at all. They will grade "A" again, and the buyers will lose thousands of dollars in value.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
It's almost like printing money...crack out awesome looking SGC "A" cards, and flip them raw for big bucks. The buyers have hopes that the cards will grade high, and unfortunately, that is not the case at all. They will grade "A" again, and the buyers will lose thousands of dollars in value.
If PSA catches it and if SGC was correct of course. I am all for battlefield being scum of the earth no doubt, but SGC or PSA get them wrong from time to time too. The likelihood this is the case here is slim though of course. I just wanted to acknowledge that with PSA I have a lot of experience of minsizerq and evid trim cards being later graded especially when I am confident they are not so I continue to submit them. I hope to hell someone who actually trims a card for real isn't getting that same reward with alterations due to rinse and repeat re-submissions.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have gone back and examined the Mantle card until I am crossed eyed and of the opinion that it is a different card from the one in the War Eagle scan, the two white dots are clearly not there and the centering is different. Leon, I agree the other two from the REA auction look trimmed at the bottom. Who knows what is going on but this might be the case that blows everything open and Ebay will be forced to take action, says he hopefully.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
I have gone back and examined the Mantle card until I am crossed eyed and of the opinion that it is a different card from the one in the War Eagle scan, the two white dots are clearly not there and the centering is different. Leon, I agree the other two from the REA auction look trimmed at the bottom. Who knows what is going on but this might be the case that blows everything open and Ebay will be forced to take action, says he hopefully.
Maybe I missed it, but are you sending it in to PSA/SGC?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

In time, probably yes.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Ben

Quote:
'55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope rather than the standard USPS first class normally used by Battlefields. Also included was a nice little note signed by one Earl saying he hoped I enjoyed the card as much as he had. The card described by Earl as nrmt is quite nice but the reverse is way o/c, precluding a high grade. War Eagle has no current listings.
If I had to conjecture what is going on, I would offer the following: Carolyn Battle died last year. She was running Battlefields Ebay operations and Earl was her husband. Carol, their daughter, picked up the reigns and then ran the company. The supply of raw cards probably came from Earl who built a large collection over a lifetime. Some were, of course, photo shopped but I
doubt there was much, if any, card alteration. War Eagle, aka Earl, was created to sell the rest of his goodies, which has happened, fetching some big prices. Now perhaps they plan on riding off into the sunset counting their money. I doubt we will hear anything from them in the future. Ebay will weep for their loss of revenue. Of course, this scenario could be completely wrong and they will continue on their sinful ways.

According to her obituary, Her husband's name was Jerry Battles.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Tony

Quote:
55 Bowman Mantle received last week shipped in a Priority Mail envelope
I'm confused if this was the case doesn't this constitute mail fraud; a felony?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:37 AM

wareagle listed a "nice" collection of hires rootbeer cards. Any sleuths on these being trimmed?

Last edited by murphy8276; 12-02-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They have over 220 auctions going. Anyone ready to gamble? At least we know the Wheaties box panels are trimmed ...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/war_eagle_v...om=&rmvSB=true

Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 AM
P@trick R.omolo

His decision to sell the collection he has been building for the past 40 years
must have been a last minute one.

The T206's he just listed

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...=T206&_sacat=0

all came from this lot in the last REA auction

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46221

War Eagle T206's.jpg
Bridwell.jpg
Brain.jpg
Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Sean Costello

Great catch Pat.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Pat, great sleuthing. Interesting that the T206's now listed by War Eagle, aka Battlefields, aka, Earl won presumably by the above do not, hmm, include a scan of the reverse, where REA painstakingly detailed the strange markings thereon, which may have been made by an extraterrestrial collector. Who knows?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:35 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default battlefield

yes war eagle and battlefield are the same person
i just won a lot from them
they broke up lot 1247 from REA
paid 840 for the lot got 2400 on ebay - ebay fees
theyre making a ton
i dont support them...but they certainly know what they are doing
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post

i dont support them...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
theyre making a ton
Can you share what was nefarious about the hires rootbeer ones? What did he hide, besides possibly covering up damage to cards (which is his number one scam). Just wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

I didnt buy card...ancillary piece from set..cards that were vg looks like he left alone...the exmt cards he calls mint
And maybe photoshops
You can compare the cards in rea to his photos and see for yourself
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBen View Post
According to her obituary, Her husband's name was Jerry Battles.
Since it is the South, 'Jerry Earl' is a perfectly acceptable first and middle name combination.

Brian
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
theyre making a ton
If he's willing to cheat by photoshopping pictures, what's the likelihood that he is paying the IRS for these gains?

Maybe that's the way to nail Al Capone ... oops I mean War Eagle ... oops ... I mean Battlefield.

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by SMPEP; 12-07-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Ed Woelfle

Other examples have been shown here in this thread, but I thought this one was pretty telling. These Goudey Gehrig’s obviously look to be the same. Seems to be same standard operating procedure – purchase good looking previously noted, documented and/or graded as altered/trimmed cards, crack holders and represent them as mint, near mint, high-grade. All under the guise of prized collection, collecting all these years, hope you love them as much as I do, etc.

REA auction end of October; https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46631

War Eagle auction ended 11/18;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOU-GEHRIG-...p2047675.l2557

Second Gehrig, War Eagle auction ended 11/18;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOU-GEHRIG-...p2047675.l2557

Quick note, the Hubble and Foxx are currently listed (presumably) from that same REA lot. Interesting, it would appear the Hubble that was initially sold in November (see link below) went to the same bidder (i***i 570) as the second Gehrig listed above. Since relisted - nonpaying, returned?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-HUBBEL...cAAOSwvApaCnbJ

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 12-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM

This is disgusting. Someone should fry this mofo.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
This is disgusting. Someone should fry this mofo.
For some reason authorities aren't able (or won't) deal with these kinds of issues very well. It seems not many folks want to chase down these card criminals. I suspect this is the first of a lot of these types of comments in the link below. All we can hope for is bad Karma for the bad people doing this. I truly believe they will have their day and it won't be a good one. You just can't continually commit fraud and not have bad luck, imo.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...ms=neutral_365

Last edited by Leon; 12-13-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I saw the stack of Wheaties cuts that they were selling and almost got sucked in. God knows what I would have paid for. Very slick looking crappy operation.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 AM
Kin K.

A sincere "thank you" to all that have called this seller out. A card on my want list showed up today and I recognized that name immediately because of this board.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Default awesome listing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I saw the stack of Wheaties cuts that they were selling and almost got sucked in. God knows what I would have paid for. Very slick looking crappy operation.

BUT...someone had put together a really stunning collection though---there are some awesome rarely-seen wheaties boxes in that group---how Battlefield winds up listing them just goes to show us how life ain't fair...

Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Makes me want to buy and return just to give a neg.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
A sincere "thank you" to all that have called this seller out. A card on my want list showed up today and I recognized that name immediately because of this board.
It is great to see that the board's member's fraud fighting efforts are paying off. I would also like to say thanks to those who help us navigate around the bad sellers.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Ben

they've sold two raw Mickey Mantle cards in the past month that fetched more than $10k.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Robert Williams

...and the winning buyers won't know they've been "stuck" until they submit them for grading.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For some reason authorities aren't able (or won't) deal with these kinds of issues very well. It seems not many folks want to chase down these card criminals. I suspect this is the first of a lot of these types of comments in the link below. All we can hope for is bad Karma for the bad people doing this. I truly believe they will have their day and it won't be a good one. You just can't continually commit fraud and not have bad luck, imo.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...ms=neutral_365

Why the hell would someone mark that feedback as neutral?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
Makes me want to buy and return just to give a neg.
I had similar thoughts. Would be cool if members could unite and win all auctions at one time and either never pay or return them all. The only problem with returning would be having to wait 15 days to get your money back.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I have won two auctions from war_eagle_vintage and was following some of his recent card auctions on eBay. I looked in Friday and saw they were all removed. I inquired with eBay and they informed me there is “potential fraud”. I searched sand found this informative board and decided to join. I have since requested returns of the two cards purchased from this seller and am awaiting his response.

I also had messsged the seller as to why his cards were removed. His response was “he reached his limit.” Ha!

Thank you to all you kind folks for this information.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Amazed

my faith in E-Bay has been restored--amazing .

Old 12-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
I have won two auctions from war_eagle_vintage and was following some of his recent card auctions on eBay. I looked in Friday and saw they were all removed. I inquired with eBay and they informed me there is “potential fraud”. I searched sand found this informative board and decided to join. I have since requested returns of the two cards purchased from this seller and am awaiting his response.

I also had messsged the seller as to why his cards were removed. His response was “he reached his limit.” Ha!

Thank you to all you kind folks for this information.
Welcome, and nice first post. Too bad you had to deal with this seller to find us.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As of tonight, War Eagle has one card listed, a '55 Topps RC of 'Killer' Killebrew, one of my favorite cards of one of my favorite players. However, think I shall refrain from bidding. Hmm.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Default Gone

Quote:
As of tonight, War Eagle has one card listed, a '55 Topps RC of 'Killer' Killebrew, one of my favorite cards of one of my favorite players. However, think I shall refrain from bidding. Hmm.
I just looked ---it's gone.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Yep - he had > 400 cards that were delisted by eBay. One was a 52 Mantle with a pin hole top center that I was following as well as a near perfect centered 56 Mantle.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

2 questions/comments...

1. I'm really surprised Ebay told you there was potential fraud. It just doesn't seem Ebay like to reveal that kind of info, or any for that matter. It's kinda nice to hear!

2. How can you tell if a card has been de-listed by Ebay or just pulled from the seller? Is there a way to see that?

Thanks for contributing. I hope you get your money back on your two cards. If you suggest ANY issue with the cards you purchased, be sure to demand the seller pay your return fees. I did when the seller was formerly known as Battlefield and was promptly send a return label. Granted it took the full 15 days to get my refund and all of the cards were re-listed and sold again before I got my money back. But I got it back.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
2 questions/comments...

1. I'm really surprised Ebay told you there was potential fraud. It just doesn't seem Ebay like to reveal that kind of info, or any for that matter. It's kinda nice to hear!

2. How can you tell if a card has been de-listed by Ebay or just pulled from the seller? Is there a way to see that?

Thanks for contributing. I hope you get your money back on your two cards. If you suggest ANY issue with the cards you purchased, be sure to demand the seller pay your return fees. I did when the seller was formerly known as Battlefield and was promptly send a return label. Granted it took the full 15 days to get my refund and all of the cards were re-listed and sold again before I got my money back. But I got it back.
I can't answer for the person you are speaking to but I can say that ebay does have a few people that can make it happen. I am told there were a few other accounts taken down, linked to the same fraudulent seller too.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
2 questions/comments...

Maybe I used the wrong term but when I clink on one of his cards that I had "Watched" it indicates The listing "12 digit number" has been removed, or this item is not available" It happened so quickly on Friday, I just assumed they delisted. Last night I was getting the 24 hour notifications of a card's auction soon coming to an end, so I assume ebay did this. If the seller removed, I'm not sure I would still received the notification. Just my two cents...again I could be wrong...
Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Well war_eagle_vintage accepted my returns of the two Willie Mays cards (1958 & 1960) I purchased from him on eBay. I will update once I have received the funds.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:47 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Be sure to leave negative feedback once you receive a refund.
James
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
Well war_eagle_vintage accepted my returns of the two Willie Mays cards (1958 & 1960) I purchased from him on eBay. I will update once I have received the funds.
Why were they returned?? Did they not look as nice in person?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Why were they returned?? Did they not look as nice in person?
I am not an expert in determining whether the cards were altered or trimmed, so I did not want to take any chances with someone who is known to have done this in the past. He had a 30-day return policy.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Wow missed this one. I purchased 2 wheaties panels from this seller. Only post I saw was under ebay sales a member posted that a nice batch of wheaties was for sale... is this member somehow connected with this seller? I will update this when cards arrive. I won a Gheringer and Medwick with what looked like full borders.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Wow missed this one. I purchased 2 wheaties panels from this seller. Only post I saw was under ebay sales a member posted that a nice batch of wheaties was for sale... is this member somehow connected with this seller? I will update this when cards arrive. I won a Gheringer and Medwick with what looked like full borders.
No, that was my post. I was blown away by the selection of Wheaties panels. Then saw they thread here and was immediately sorry I had referenced someone else's auction, and I deleted my post.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Lol I to was blown away by Wheaties selection. I have been looking for a Gehringer with a full border for awhile to display with my mini. The Medwick goes along with my NJ ballplayers collection.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Lol I to was blown away by Wheaties selection. I have been looking for a Gehringer with a full border for awhile to display with my mini. The Medwick goes along with my NJ ballplayers collection.
Well, they didn't have to lie about them being trimmed!!!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Got my 2 wheaties today they both have full borders no pinholes Gherringer is very nice Medwick has a back stamp from a kid in iowa.. but is fine with me .. BUT he should have let me know and will get a negative for that.
J