NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jake Wise Business Card

This is a recent pick up and thought others might like to see it. It was given to me by a collector who wishes to remain anonymous but said it would fit in my collection. The nice gesture is appreciated. Jake Wise was one of the early pioneers in collecting and is mentioned often in periodicals. I believe he also wrote some articles too.. I think zip codes started in about 1963 so it dates prior to that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1940sjakewisebuscard.jpg (62.4 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-22-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

VERY cool LL
Old 03-22-2015, 05:23 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

That's great!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Jake Wise

I had one of Jake's cards back in the day.

After he died I recall Bill Haber drove down from Staten Island to MD. to buy the collection. Must have been about '73, or '74. He maxed out his cash advance from his credit card of $10K

He had to sell stuff off fast to pay back his card. I drove to his place and recall sitting at his table and haggling over the prices for the stuff I bought. I got a set of Tatoo Orbits, R306's and some 1938 R329 Clopay Foto Fun that I had never seen before from him.

Fred
Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Frank Wakefield

Fred, thanks for remembering Mr. Haber for us.

I'd never heard that. I never met Bill, but discussed cards with him on the phone. We usually talked about Colgan's Chips, he was always wanting to know about team variations I'd acquired. I'd be trying to talk about the white border cards with him. He ALWAYS steered the conversation back to Colgan's and would want to buy one or two. I would think that cards you got from him were duplicates. And I gotta figure Bill knew Mr. Wise and his cards.

Wish I'd known Mr. Wise. Bill was a treasure.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

I'd never heard that. I never met Bill, but discussed cards with him on the phone. We usually talked about Colgan's Chips, he was always wanting to know about team variations I'd acquired. I'd be trying to talk about the white border cards with him. He ALWAYS steered the conversation back to Colgan's and would want to buy one or two. I would think that cards you got from him were duplicates. And I gotta figure Bill knew Mr. Wise and his cards.

Frank:

Bill was an unusal collector (aren't we all!!) in that he would work feverishly on completeing a set. Once he did he would sometime sell it off and start on another quest.

I recall he did this with Seattle Popcorn cards, Kahns, T200's, Colgans and others. And NO, the things I got from him in Jakes collection were not dupes.

Some things interested him others did not. Plus as mentioned he had to raise funds quickly to repay his cash advance so he was selling things he did not have.

Fred
Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Default Bill Haber's T206

As Fred stated, Bill Haber seemed (like others of us) to go from one collecting interest of focus to another. On my last visit in his home (circa 1980), among other things he showed me a cigar box full of (mainly) T206's. I doubt they constituted his collection - just his dupes. With a stash like that, I knew why he pursued Centennial Flour and even Topps overprints in the years I visited with him (1967-1984).

Frank got it right: Bill was certainly a treasure with his hobby, SABR and other ties. I, too, wish I had known Jake Wise; often saw his named mentioned but never saw him in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quite the nice piece Leon-business cards with such graphics must have really stood out back then.