NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2015, 09:18 PM
I@n Cl@rke

For whatever reason "obverse" just bugs me. "Beautiful blue sharpie signature graces this legendary card's obverse". Just say front!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Bry@n

Surprised nobody has mentioned "interesting" yet.

Last edited by Jobu; 03-21-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Mike

Default Overgraded, and called so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veleno45 View Post
I see "undergraded" all the time but for some reason never see "overgraded".
One of the few I've seen called overgraded, and rightly so - BST got it dead-on.

http://www.bst-auctions.com/1912-T20...-4-LOT287.aspx
Old 03-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Undergraded
+1
Old 03-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Words are in place
To help us all see
What our eyes don't tell us
We may read and believe

Made up words
Too good to be true
Help to inform
Me and you

That the card that we see
Is the card we must have
And to win the auction
Would make us most glad.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
One of the few I've seen called overgraded, and rightly so - BST got it dead-on.

http://www.bst-auctions.com/1912-T20...-4-LOT287.aspx
That's well and good for the bidder, but if I'm the consignor I would be livid. There is nothing to be gained for the consignor with such a description.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM

What's this use of 'gathering' instead of collection? It makes me think the cards come together at night to dance by the light of the moon.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
+1
See...I don't think (undergraded) that is a bad term. If you have a 1.5 that looks like a 3, then pray tell, what do you call it?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-23-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Most of my favorites have already been covered but there are two that just annoy the hell out of me:

"Extreme rarity"
"Extremely rare"

Rare already covers it. Qualifying it is like putting the Deltas on double secret probation.

I generally dislike the verbal diarrhea that most AH writers seem to develop. I imagine they have a menu of random adjectives they can slap them together to create a description. Like:

"This impressive specimen from an ultra rare issue is the highest condition exemplar extant in the PSA database, with radiant color on the obverse and virtually unimprovable color on the back."

You can attach that verbiage to nearly any card. Or anything else.

Part of the problem is that the writers try to sound as erudite as possible on what I imagine is a second-rate education, which leads to some really funny sentences like this gem from Goodwin's recent auction:

"If you are contemplating adding one museum quality card to your collection, this jewel certainly qualifies as a grandeur selection."

WTF is a "grandeur selection"? Grandeur is a noun, as is selection. They might as well write that it qualifies as a card card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-23-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Robert Williams

On the other end of the spectrum you have Memory Lane.....

"Get it!"
"Bid to own"
"Joltin' Joe"

you get the idea.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Most of my favorites have already been covered but there are two that just annoy the hell out of me:

"Extreme rarity"
"Extremely rare"

Rare already covers it. Qualifying it is like putting the Deltas on double secret probation.

I generally dislike the verbal diarrhea that most AH writers seem to develop. I imagine they have a menu of random adjectives they can slap them together to create a description. Like:

"This impressive specimen from an ultra rare issue is the highest condition exemplar extant in the PSA database, with radiant color on the obverse and virtually unimprovable color on the back."

You can attach that verbiage to nearly any card. Or anything else.

Part of the problem is that the writers try to sound as erudite as possible on what I imagine is a second-rate education, which leads to some really funny sentences like this gem from Goodwin's recent auction:

"If you are contemplating adding one museum quality card to your collection, this jewel certainly qualifies as a grandeur selection."

WTF is a "grandeur selection"? Grandeur is a noun, as is selection. They might as well write that it qualifies as a card card.
Totally Agree.