NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Rob

Default 1890 Old Judge cards

Here is an 1890 n172 Tom E. Burns 59-3 NL along with a Bill Shindle 415-4 that I suppose could have been an 1890 PL card if the card was not cut short.

If y'all have any 1890 n172 cards with the NL or PL designation, post them here.......

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Proud to show this one off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ewing and Mascot PL (SGC 40).jpg (77.1 KB, 539 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 PM

Pair of Farrar's, hard to see PL by his left foot in each, but it's there. Latham is one of my favorite cards. Don't have scans of the other two I have, Denny NL and a Hallman pose that wasn't a known PL card until I found it last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latham.jpg (52.3 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg farrars.jpg (69.7 KB, 521 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Rob

Great cards, thanks for posting. What are y'alls thoughts about the written notations of PL and NL as opposed to the cards that have PL and NL printed on the card?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Great cards, thanks for posting. What are y'alls thoughts about the written notations of PL and NL as opposed to the cards that have PL and NL printed on the card?
I kinda like having it noted on the text, mainly because these 1890 cards have notoriously light images, so I think it shows up a little better as part of the text, rather than the photo. And at least for me, I'm interested in these because of the P.L./N.L. connection that was so brief in time. So I'm drawn to cards where this is prominent!

You have some nice cards there gents! Hopefully we get to see a bunch more in this thread!!!

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 08-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Fred

Probably one of the easier NL cards to find...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hutchison.jpg (17.6 KB, 486 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM
JeR@Me

Default NL Card...

Here is my 1890 NL Lefty Marr who played for Nashville before the turn of the century. How rare are NL & PL 1890 cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marr-Cincy.jpg (48.8 KB, 453 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBaseball View Post
Here is my 1890 NL Lefty Marr who played for Nashville before the turn of the century. How rare are NL & PL 1890 cards?
Hi Jeremy,

I only know what I've read - I have not studied the OJ set myself, but the authors of the OJ book state: "The cards of 1890, especially Players' League cards, are very scarce."

I also note that in their list of the 7 most desirable HOFers from OJ, the authors chose 4 cards from the 1890 series.

Perhaps one of those guys can add more to this discussion?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM

I would say that finding any 1890 card isn't too hard, but finding a particular one is very tough. As I mentioned, just last year I found a Hallman PL card that was a new discovery and it's likely one of a kind. Now, he has multiple poses, so an 1890 card of Hallman isn't a one of a kind item, just that pose.

You would be hard-pressed to get multiple examples of a card like I have with Farrar, that was just dumb luck on my part and prices so good there was no way I could pass them up.

I can't put a particular number on them, but Player's League cards are in the 100's and same goes for the NL cards. Maybe 500 total exist, just a guess
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Joe Gonsowski

While none of the 1890 cards are common, some do seem to surface more frequently than others. Among them, the Ewing & Mascot PL card and Harry Wright NL card.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
While none of the 1890 cards are common, some do seem to surface more frequently than others. Among them, the Ewing & Mascot PL card and Harry Wright NL card.
Hi Joe,

This is interesting to me. By "surface", do you mean cards offered for sale?

I'm only aware of 2 examples of the Ewing/Mascot PL being offered for public sale, those being 6 years apart at REA (2007 and 2013). The 2007 example was later cracked out of the SGC slab and offered raw on eBay in 2012. The 2013 example (mine above) was previously in an SGC 30 holder and was for sale on eBay before REA, but the card was regraded and bumped to a 40. Maybe all of this activity leads to a perception that there are more of these out there than there really are? Or maybe you know about transactions I am unaware of?

On the other hand, over that same timeframe I know of 4 different Wright NL cards sold at auction.

If by "surface" you refer to cards held in private collections, I have no idea and you would have more knowledge of that than I do.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Hi Joe,

This is interesting to me. By "surface", do you mean cards offered for sale?

I'm only aware of 2 examples of the Ewing/Mascot PL being offered for public sale, those being 6 years apart at REA (2007 and 2013). The 2007 example was later cracked out of the SGC slab and offered raw on eBay in 2012. The 2013 example (mine above) was previously in an SGC 30 holder and was for sale on eBay before REA, but the card was regraded and bumped to a 40. Maybe all of this activity leads to a perception that there are more of these out there than there really are? Or maybe you know about transactions I am unaware of?

On the other hand, over that same timeframe I know of 4 different Wright NL cards sold at auction.

If by "surface" you refer to cards held in private collections, I have no idea and you would have more knowledge of that than I do.

Cheers,
Blair
Hello Blair, I am aware of several examples in advanced collections. NL/PL cards are rare and are noticed by advanced collectors, particularly HOFers. Ewing w/ Mascot and Wright have been surfacing / circulating without garnering aggressive bidding from the handful of advanced collectors who have interest in such cards which makes them among the more common NL/PL cards. We are talking about a relative scale in which more common is still quite rare. Your example of Ewing is a gem, among the nicer examples I've seen.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
JeR@Me

Default NL PL OJ's

Yo Joe,

Thanks for the clarification on NL/PL cards. From none are common & some seem to surface more frequently in your first post to NL/PL cards are rare and are noticed by advanced collectors in your 2nd post, I think you cleared up my confusion and Thanks BoSox for pulling a little more info from Joe!

Love the OJ's!

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 08-27-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Probably one of the easier NL cards to find...
Great card Fred.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Hello Blair, I am aware of several examples in advanced collections. NL/PL cards are rare and are noticed by advanced collectors, particularly HOFers. Ewing w/ Mascot and Wright have been surfacing / circulating without garnering aggressive bidding from the handful of advanced collectors who have interest in such cards which makes them among the more common NL/PL cards. We are talking about a relative scale in which more common is still quite rare. Your example of Ewing is a gem, among the nicer examples I've seen.
Hi Joe,

Got it - thanks for taking the time to reply/share!

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 08-27-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Rob

Default 1890 OJs

Thanks for the additional pics and information. I picked up the 1890 Tom E. Burns to go with this Dog's Head Burns cabinet. I did not intend to start collecting Tom E. Burns cards, but now that I have 2 of the harder to find types, I guess I will look for more of his cards.

It would be fun to find an unknown example, like JD did. That type of stuff makes the hobby interesting.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:19 AM

Happy to have this lovely NL example recently obtained from a fellow Board member:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Decker NL (SGC 55).jpg (77.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Default 1890 n172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Proud to show this one off!
Nice Ewing Blair. This is one of my favorite cards (with mascot).

Z Wheat
Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

In general, PL cards are a lot scarcer than NL cards (not sure why). There are roughly 50 players with PL cards. Many are very rare--three copies or less. I would estimate that there are 100-150 PL cards and probably 2-3 times that amount of NL cards.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Nice Ewing Blair. This is one of my favorite cards (with mascot).

Z Wheat
Thanks! I'm a big fan of that pose too.

Cheers,
Blair