NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default Opinions on cracked slab from auction....

Posted By: Mark T

I received my winnings from an auction last week. I don't want to say which auction. I am happy with the card but the crack was NOT in the description of the card. Its very noticeable when i got the card but not in the picture the auction house took. I can't expand their pic too much or it will distort scan. The crack is about 1/2 inch long.

Should i just be happy and send it to SGC for a new slab at my cost or should i email/call the auction house.

Auction house pic
------------------

My pic i took
-------------
?t=1210865828

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That is a pretty minor crack. I think plenty of slabs exhibit hairline scratches or cracks.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Barry...its very noticeable when you have the card in hand. I figure i just shell out the $20-$25 to have a new slab. Just wish it was in the description but oh well....

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Mark,

I think you raise a great point. I know we're told to "buy the card, not the slab (ad infinitum)," and that's obviously true, but the bottom line is that if you leave the card in its slab, that slam impacts the presentation of the card. It's annoying to receive a card and see that the slab has a crack, mark or other significant flaw that's not removable but wasn't disclosed by the seller.

Not only is there cost involved in paying for it to be reholdered, there's also the shipping charges and the time that the card is in transit (and susceptible to being stolen or lost). It's a pain.

I'm not passing judgement on your situation, but I do think a seller needs to disclose when there's damage to a holder.

(Posting of jokes about having the slabs themselves graded can now begin.)

Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Mark- I realize you want a clean slab and that's fine. But that crack could have occurred in transit, so I don't know if it's the auction house's fault.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

it was already there, if you seen how they packed it there was NO way this thing could have gotten cracked during shipping. It was very, very secure.

The top scan is the card in the auction and you can just barely see the crack is there.

Rob- i agree it should have been noted in description. You have to be legally blind not to see it when the card is in your hand.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I agree with Rob. How many times have you gotten a card from an ebay win and there was a chunk taken out of the slab?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

this was a major auction house win, not from Ebay...not that it makes a difference.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I agree and sympathies...I guess it is good to see that the flaw in the slab is not of the variety that would suggest card switching, etc.

Also, this is why I buy the empty slabs first, and then slide cards into them as appropriate!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

mark i wouldn't go out of my way to get the thing reholdered (i'm cheap/poor)...if you're sending stuff to sgc i'd include it along, provided it's not some huge amount to reholder it. i don't mind the crack but for you i guess it's a small cost for contentment, so well worth it.

if the card is accurately graded i wouldn't hassle the auction house. i'd trade a smashed slab for an undergraded card any day.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I could not imagine having those two words (cheap/poor) in a sentence by you. (<:

Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

ReHolder $5 1-2 Business Days If a holder is chipped, scratched, cracked or needs a new label, it can be resubmitted for placement in a new holder.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

thanks, i just did an online submission and the whole thing will cost me $20.45 + whatever USPS charges me to ship.

No big deal, its a card worth a few thousand dollars so that small price is worth it to me.

Its off to SGC....thanks all

Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

I can't speak for SGC, of course, but as someone mentioned, I'm positive all of us (BGS, SGC, PSA, GAI) offer a low cost re-slab option for cracked holders. Then, as far as the shipping costs... are you close to any onsite shows SGC will be doing (Sportsfest, National, etc.)? You may contact them and see if you can bring it to an onsite slabbing show to be taken care of while you wait?

Mark

Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

not even close to an event SGC will be at. For the $20.45 to re-slab its worth it since the card will be in a brand new slab at look wonderful.

Right now, when i hold the card up, my eyes draw me right to the crack.