NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default Your most beloved card?

Posted By: Greg Kazandis

Hi Folks,

I am a first time poster - thank you for such a wonderful site!

I would like to ask everyone what their favorite card in their collection is and why. (And a scan would be great as well.) I am not particularly interested in your most
expensive card, just the one that means the most to you.

For me, my 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese is the most cherished in my collection because it shows a stunning picture of the greats from the 40s and 50s. It shows how much quality was put into this set.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you!!

Greg

Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Welcome to joining in the fray. This certainly isn't my most expensive card but probably has the best story behind it. About 4 yrs ago, on ebay, it was in the regular section for cards...with a very blurry scan, a -1 feedback seller, and about 2 lines of totally misspelled words for the description. The only red flag it didn't have was the grandpa's attic story (which ironically is where it came from...though it was grandma's closet).....At any rate it went the whole 7 days and nary a bid....it had a starting price of $1500...no one bit. SO, it started the 2nd 7 day cycle on ebay (listed again) and this time I emailed the seller as I had been looking for one. He emailed back some jibberish...We eventually spoke on the phone...and I bought it for $1000.00.....This was the first card of over 760 cards, many exotic and rare ones, I bought from the seller, Bob Smith....and which I now refer to as "The Trucker Boy Find". (He hauled cars on an 18 wheeler for a living)...

Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

This was my first 19th century card. Reputedly found behind the wall in an old building that was being renovated. Even if that's not true, I still dig the player and the image.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

There was a card that caught my eye while I was growing up. I think I saw it in a price guide or a "who's who in baseball". It was an image of Joe Jackson with a purple background, and I admired the card ever since that day. I never ever thought I would own one. Thanks to a board member, I have this one. It is not my most expensive card, just my favorite.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Did anyone else notice that Greg's and Ted's last names are ALMOST anagrams?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

The most beloved card in my collection is my T200 Boston Americans:

The reason why this card is my most beloved, is the fact that it includes many Red Sox greats. Smokey Joe Wood, Tris Speaker, Duffy Lewis, Harry Hooper, Charley Hall, Dutch Leonard, Larry Gardner, and others are pictured together.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

This was my 'best' card when I was a kid. The card was already about 12 years old when I got it some 40 years ago. It is one of the few from my childhood that have survived. Just last year I decided to get it encapsulated.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

This is my favorite... and I just bought it this week (thanks steve!). Like some of the others that posted here, this is in no way my most valuable card, but just my favorite.

For a card 120 years old, this still holds a great photo and gorgeous sharp corners!

This will remain my favorite until I acquire a PSA 8 N172 Old Judge card (any common would do), then that will be my favorite!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott S

This was the first T-206 star I got - not sure what I paid, but as a 15 year old 20 years ago, I'm sure it cost a good amount of my newspaper route money! Again, not my most valuable, but got me started down the vintage path!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Again, not the most expensive, but probably
my favorite from the set.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/>TAG this image

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

"Beloved"?

I guess it would have to be this 59 Topps Killebrew as it was the final card I acquired to complete my set some 25 odd years ago.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

This 19th Century Album is 1st....as it illustrates all my favorite N162 cards.

But, if I have to single out one card....it has to be this Mantle....as it motivated me to recover my original
BB card collection from my youth.....in 1977. Also, it happens to be the last BB card I acquired as a kid in
the Fall of '52.

TED Z

Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

At the moment it is this Joss because of the historical significance. But once I get a '34 Goudey Gehrig #37 that will be it (it's my favorite already even though I don't own it yet).

Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I distinctly remember pulling a '60 Topps Mantle from a pack as a kid -- my favorite player -- so in that sense it is quite beloved, even if it hardly my favorite card. However, later in that same decade I got my first pre-war, the Cobb T206 bat on -- I'd already read alot of early baseball history by that point. I put in on our fireplace mantle (no pun). I couldn't believe I would ever be "allowed" to own such a thing. The feeling was incredible. A real connection there. This is that same one.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

Just sent this off to SGC yesterday.

This was my first Red Cross I picked up, and this will be a card that will always stay with me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/>

Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Hard to pick my most beloved, but here's a Top 5.

In 1978, I saw Yaz hit a HR on NBC's Saturday's Game of the Week. He became my favorite player and the Red Sox my favorite team (the Celtics too.) I suppose I'm a bit of a contrarian as I didn't like the local teams - Dodgers and Lakers especially - even though I grew up in Orange County.

I used to own ~1600 different Yaz items, the '60 Ven Rookie was something I heard about, but never seen. The '67 Stand-Up I couldn't afford and had only seen it offered once, by Mr. Mint. I now have both thanks to the Internet.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong