NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default research needs on T206 players

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

For the past several years I've worked on a book (work a week, set aside for a month...), I might even try to publish it one day. It is about the players in T206. When I started collecting T206s, Sunny Jim Dygert was my second card, and I had not heard of him. Where could I find out about him??? Well, the encyclopedia's give you some stats. But who was he? And that gave me a title, borrowed loosely from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... "Who are these guys?" An example of what I'm doing is to preserve and pass on that "Wabash" George Mullin tended bar at the Elks Lodge in Wabash, Indiana after his playing days were over.

So here's what I'm after. Little tidbits about the lives and antics of players in T206. I have quite a bit. Specifically, what I'd like is to get you guys with Spalding Guides to look in the years from the mid 20s into the 40s, in the section called "Death Toll" I have guides for 1934 and 1938. In that section in each guide there are small paragraphs about passing players. If you could either scan and email, or photocopy and mail, great. I'll reimburse postage and photocopying, and I'm extremely patient. Ideally, email me with what you could send one day, and I'll email back and let you know whether I need that or if someone else has already sent it.

If/when the publication occurs, I'll acknowledge your help in print, for the readers to see.

Thanks, guys and gals! Frank. fwakefield1@comcast.net

Old 08-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Frank

I recommend that you check out the SABR biography project at http://bioproj.sabr.org/?m=5&s=192

It's an attempt by SABR (http://www.sabr.org) to have a short biography written about every major league player, as well as other people in the game.

Not all bios are done (by any means), but many that aren't done list authors who have been assigned. You can contact them for information they have already gathered, and I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear from you as to your information.

Max

Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

But when my much beloved by everyone SABR Trivia Partner Eddie Gold passed on, his son sent me much of his non-essential "papers". In those papers, are biographies of what happenned to many early Chicago Cubs after their playing career. Many of those players got hurt by the depression and I remember one of them was killed while crossing the street to go to his job pumping gas. Anyway, those boxes are deep in storage and as I start moving stuff out as we start figuring out what I can bring over for my new "office" in my new home -- I might be able to dig up some of that stuff for you

Rich

Old 08-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Frank

While this won't help with T206 players in the years of issue or post-career, SABR has on line Sporting Life pdf's from 1899 to 1900. Interesting reading.

http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=cms,c,1018,5,177

Max

Old 08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Jimmy Sheckard would be the player you are likely referring to who was struck by an auto and killed on his way to his job at a gas station.

He has become one of my favorite players of his era and I have a nice little type collection of his cards going.

Scott