NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Please help with 52 Mantle, is it authentic?

I am thinking of bidding on the following item. I have contacted the seller, who is very reputable, and have done a lot of homework. Looking for some other opinions on the authenticity of this card, any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Matt Hall

I have bought cards from that seller. I have had no problems. Good luck, if you decide to bid.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Doug C.

He bought one of my 1952 Topps Mantles from me a few years back. He's a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by Doug; 10-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Rob Miller

Have done numerous deals with that seller in the past, although on a smaller scale, always top notch.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no worries

I think the seller is good to go. That is a really nicely centered Mantle too. Good luck if you go for it.

Also, please know that we have a post-war side of our chatboard, which is where this thread should really have gone. Please keep that in mind for future reference. best regards
Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM

I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times, and was very nice. Only concerned because of the high dollar amount. Any more opinions on the card pics?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM

ok i will, thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm8825 View Post
I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times, and was very nice. Only concerned because of the high dollar amount. Any more opinions on the card pics?
Besides the "print flecks" mentioned in the upper right there seem to be some more white spots to the left of Mickey's hat and what look like two small scratches right above his hands, but it could be from the scanner or the holder.

Last edited by Doug; 10-05-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Alan Zimmerman

I really haven't seen better centering on a Mantle. Also, the seller is top notch, so I wouldn't worry about problems with any potential transaction.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM
qu@n nguy3n

asking for opinions and doing your homework is good...but when you're thinking of dropping mid 5-figure for a card, the first question shouldn't be is it authentic...you should already know. (not trying to sound harsh or mean)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
asking for opinions and doing your homework is good...but when you're thinking of dropping mid 5-figure for a card, the first question shouldn't be is it authentic...you should already know. (not trying to sound harsh or mean)
I agree to the extent that I also found the post a little bizarre under the circumstances. Are the opinions of an internet chat board really going to drive a $30,000+ bidding decision?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
This is true, but if you are considering spending that much money it never hurts to be too sure. I don't have to worry about being in that situation unless I win the lottery, but if I was I would rather err on the side of caution just in case.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

I am sure, have done my homework, what does it hurt to throw it out on a forum & see if anyone can spot anything I haven't seen yet? (I doubt it) With a card valued this high, why not post this? Thanks for the input
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default I call baloney!

The poster BM8825 is working with the seller, trying to drive up the bidding, promote awareness, or something. Something's fishy with the post. Member just joined Oct 10. Asking somewhat idiotic questions for 30K purchase. Nice try!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
The poster BM8825 is working with the seller, trying to drive up the bidding, promote awareness, or something. Something's fishy with the post. Member just joined Oct 10. Asking somewhat idiotic questions for 30K purchase. Nice try!

Oct 10th would be in the future. Unfortunately it is always a possibility about what you are saying...The questions are rather perplexing given the value of the sale....If I am buying a 30k+ card I am not coming on a chatboard where I know 0 people and asking if it's authentic...from a good seller in a PSA holder..I have to admit it doesn't all add up very well....who knows??
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default correction...

Sorry, meant to say Oct '10 (Oct 2010).

"Salami, Salami, Baloney!"
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Oct 10th would be in the future.
Joined yesterday 10/4/2010

I always get confused on that, because in Canada we list day/month/year. So I'm either born June 12 or December 6, I'm just not sure
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Matt Hall

I joined this board originally to ask if a card was authentic. I never did ask.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

gotta give the guy the benefit of the doubt. if i was making a large purchase like that, i would look for opinions here too. if he is working with the seller, so what???
Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
gotta give the guy the benefit of the doubt. if i was making a large purchase like that, i would look for opinions here too. if he is working with the seller, so what???
Actually, no, we don't have to really give the benefit of the doubt. I would say it's open for debate at this point. And depending on how he would be working with the seller, advertising on the main forum is not allowed. There is a BST pages for that and there are banners that can be bought. We are "advertising friendly" on this board but not in the main forum. So, he could be breaking the rules and that could get him banned. You asked so..... That is what. regards

Added to say that if the original poster is truly looking for an honest opinion, then of course, that is one of the main purposes of this forum and is permitted and applauded........I just want to keep everything in context.

Last edited by Leon; 10-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Jim D

Looks good to me.....Holder looks good , card looks good I wouldn't be surprised if this in one of the Mantles from the large find of 71 a few years back!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM

Wow, you guys are really making me feel dumb for posting on this website. I found a thread about a week ago on this website, when I was searching google about fake 1952 PSA Mantle's. This seemed like a forum full of knowledgeable people, so I figured that I would join and throw the question out there to see if I would get any feedback. My mind is set on bidding, but I guess from the outside looking in, I can understand why my post seems pretty stupid to some people. I have never purchased something of this high in value, so I guess it makes you do dumb things. Thanks to everyone who left some positive feedback or information about past dealings with this seller.

My response to the people who think I'm working with the seller: If & when I win the auction, I will post a picture of the card so u can see. Other than that I don't know what else to say.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Jim D

BM

stand next to me, that will make you look smart! I felt dumb here for the first while too, then i realize, i pretty much am when it comes to baseball cards. But i got game when it comes to hockey cards and I am probably the foremost expert on here for Shiny MMA cards.

A fool and their money are soon parted and you did the smart thing by asking. I would ask too if i was plunking down 50k for a card!

So please my friend, don't feel dumb, cause the smartest thing you did was ask... some guys are condescending by accident, as things may seem obvious to them, while not so much to the rest of us!

Welcome to the site, dunce caps are over here, grab a beer, sit down and enjoy the ride!

Jim

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Bilko Glasier

This auction will sell itself. Honestly this auction doesn't need to be hyped on a Net54 thread. If someone is in the market to buy a high grade 52 Mantle, they will find the ebay auction. Its not like someone is going to see this thread and then decide to go bid $50, 000 to get this Mantle
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM

Default mantle

Yeah, if soemone is looking for a 52 Mantle they will find it.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 AM

I guess a better question would have been: Out of both '52 Mantle cards for sale on ebay right now which one would you rather have? The PSA 7 with 55/45 centering, or the PSA 8 that is Off-centered?

PSA 7
http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-Micke...item2eb03afc41

PSA 8 (oc)
http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-311-M...item5634f07305
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default centering....

Quote:
I guess a better question would have been: Out of both '52 Mantle cards for sale on ebay right now which one would you rather have? The PSA 7 with 55/45 centering, or the PSA 8 that is Off-centered?

PSA 7

PSA 8 (oc)
I received a message from the consignor of that card. I do think the original poster (here) is just asking the question. So be it and my apologies...though I wasn't rushing to judgement I was only saying that nothing is off limits to at least be questioned. This board has a history of questioning everything and I don't think that is all bad, though sometimes I understand the bit of pain it can cause. The "Sh** to Equity" ratio is still good though and I will take on some angst over just turning a blind eye. Hopefully the original poster will see that we have equal skepticism on everything and not just this one thread.

Personally, I like centered cards a lot and think it really adds to the visual appeal. I would almost always take a better centered card (even a bit lower grade) over a higher graded but less well centered one. regards
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Doug C.

Quote:

PSA 7

PSA 8 (oc)
If it was me, I'd rather have the PSA 8 OC since it's a nicer card and the centering isn't that bad IMO. I'm one of the few people that really don't care about centering so I'd take the higher grade card every time.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Jeff

the "7"

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Chris Buckler

The card is usually found off center. I would take the centered "7" in a heart beat.

Last edited by chris; 10-06-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Rob Miller

I am not big on qualifiers, so in my mind I quantify the "8OC" as being a "6" at best.

Even though I am not too much of a stickler for centering, I would rather have the "7".
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

yeah don't give him the benefit of the doubt. like a 52 mantle needs to be promoted here lol. guilty until proven innocent
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Alan Zimmerman

I would definitely put in a best offer on that 8oc. I am pretty sure the seller will take at least $100 off the purchase price.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default just wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
yeah don't give him the benefit of the doubt. like a 52 mantle needs to be promoted here lol. guilty until proven innocent
Ignorance is bliss.....good luck
Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Ignorance is bliss.....good luck
You said earlier "I received a message from the consignor of that card. I do think the original poster (here) is just asking the question. So be it and my apologies...though I wasn't rushing to judgement I was only saying that nothing is off limits to at least be questioned." has there been a new development since then? I'm usually as cynical as anybody, but if someone was just trying to hype the card, the main board of the prewar side seems kind of an odd place to do it. I would think you would have a better chance of reaching interested parties on the postwar B/S/T section.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You said earlier "I received a message from the consignor of that card. I do think the original poster (here) is just asking the question. So be it and my apologies...though I wasn't rushing to judgement I was only saying that nothing is off limits to at least be questioned." has there been a new development since then? I'm usually as cynical as anybody, but if someone was just trying to hype the card, the main board of the prewar side seems kind of an odd place to do it. I would think you would have a better chance of reaching interested parties on the postwar B/S/T section.
I would say that if someone is trying to hype a card, and I doubt the original poster was, then they would do it at the place that gets the most views. I doubt too many post war board members don't look at the main board but many pre-war collectors probably don't scroll over to the post war side of Net54. I could be wrong though.....(well, statistically I am not wrong)

Last edited by Leon; 10-06-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Doug C.

Good point. I probably spend as much time on the postwar side as anyone and every time I click over there a tumbleweed blows across my screen.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Andy Sargent

Default PSA 7 Mantle

I would take the 7 in a heartbeat over the 8oc, although both cards are way out of my price range.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I am very familiar with brent huigens. Have bought alot of high dollar vintage cards from him in the past 10 years. Absolutely no worries there, believe me.

Tags
1952 mantle psa 7