NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Default Not that anyone asked, but here are some of my thoughts on collecting...

A thread on the memorabilia side got me to thinking about all the talk on how many of us get let down when an auction house catalog comes up short of our expectations, myself included which is hysterical as my spending spree has been put on the back burner for the time being... until my consignments sell and I get some dough back in my pocket. Anyway, the emotional roller coaster is in full bloom as opening day is upon us and here is my take on why we are so passionate about memorabilia...

A Memorabilia collector's frame of mind compared with that of a card collector are much further apart than most of us would suspect. When you collect things that are not found in a monthly price guide or traded as a commodity, value can be very difficult to ascertain and many factors may go into trying to put a fair market price to a particular piece.

Also, the attachment factor is far stronger for memorabilia than it is with cards. As kids we all had a card collection at some point in our youth, but just how many of us had a 24"x48" advertising display or original news service photographs, or maybe seats from an old stadium cluttering up our rooms. They just weren't accessible nor did we have the means to buy them even if they were.

Not all memorabilia was created equal. Some we certainly had displayed, be it a poster of your Hero or a premium from a cereal or sports magazine. But as far as attachment goes, those fall into the same category as cards.

Pennants, programs, pins, and other various ballpark souvenirs were the things we brought home from an actual game our father may have taken us to. Maybe a Sunday afternoon game with the whole family or an organized event with your little league team, or scout troop, maybe your local church or social club. Going to ballgames in any of those scenarios were very special for me and I would think the same is true for almost all of us.

Souvenirs from those special times in your life were so much more than just something we'd hang on the wall of our room. Little did we know then, that those souvenirs were what we would eventually hang our fondest childhood memories upon.

The emotional attachment there will never be forgotten. Maybe the years went by and it just wasn't something that you thought about, until... the Barry Halper Auction made the mainstream news all over the country. I think that was the wake up call for tens of thousands of Baby Boomer men like myself, who had collected cards on and of since we were kids, but never were actually seeking out memorabilia.

At that time Ebay was shifting into third gear and the "how and where" we bought cards and memorabilia was changed forever.

Speaking of shifting gears...

Just think about this...REA had a whole year to acquire the goods that are offered in their current auction, which is big part of the reason we all "Oow and Aaw" over their catalogs.

The other leading houses run two, three, or four catalog auctions in a calendar year, some maybe even more. Point being is, if Heritage or Hunt only produced just ONE auction catalog a year, you really don't think it would rival REA? Now I just want to add that I think REA does an incredible job year in and year out, I'm just commenting on the way I see things.

It all comes down to what business plan best fits each companies needs.

There are several strong auction houses in the hobby that all do a good job, whether we personally like them or not, and of course we all have our favorites, and trust some more than others. But the bottom line is, if they produce the items we desire, we will stand in line to give them our money.

I'm a firm believer of the saying that "people vote with their feet" and in the end, after all the crying and complaining is done, collectors get right back in line. Kind of like the kid at Disneyland that objects about going on Space Mountain, he hates roller coasters. it's dumb, the line's too long, but the second the coaster comes to a halt, he's the first one back in line.

That's just human nature, and eventually, we all end up in waiting in that long line once again.

In closing (finally) I know that most of us don't want to read something this damn long, and I'm one of you, but this has been on my mind for a long time and I thought that maybe with the season starting, everyone would be more forgiving.

Sincerely, Jimmy

P.S. In order to irritate as many board members as possible, I'm posting this on both boards.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 PM

I read this post three times and still don't understand your point. In 25 words or less, what are you trying to say? Is it, "Collectors like what they like to collect"? I hope it is more profound than that. I'm asking.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM

Where did you get the impression that I was trying to make a point?

I thought that the title of the thread was pretty clear.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Mike H.

Good read Jimmy. Thanks for posting it. I appreciate hearing others thoughts on collecting and anything to do with our hobby.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default good read

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Good read Jimmy. Thanks for posting it. I appreciate hearing others thoughts on collecting and anything to do with our hobby.
Agreed, I read it 3 times just because I am that bored

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Anthony

Jimmy,

I like some of your thoughts about why we collect memorabilia. Collecting cards is what got me hooked as a kid. I had a paper route and all my money would go into cards ($14 a week). When Beckett’s price guide came every month I looked, as my favorite cards would have a small triangle pointing up or down and/or no triangle at all signify no change in price.

At the card shows, pretty much the dealers demanded a certain price b/c they would refer to the price guide and prices were relatively the same from table to table. However, the memorabilia pieces seemed to demand prices from the “wild wild west” and dealers didn’t exactly have a book to refer to. I found this niche of the industry to be much more fun and exciting.

I feel memorabilia brings me closer to the game, the ballpark, the player, the team, etc. more so than a card. When the catalogs come out, basically, the cards I have seen, cool they are, but, it is always the memorabilia that gets me saying, “Wow, what an incredible piece, I have to add that to my collection.” Someday, I hope to have a collection that is impressive as a lot of the board members. I’m just a small time collector but you got to start somewhere.

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited by 3and2; 04-04-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Al

Default anyone asked

Jimmy,
Collect This! "Ooh Aaw" Nice read my friend. I enjoyed that. Happy Easter To All. Al

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.