NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: brock

Hi
I love collecting vintage items, bats, cards anything. I'm only 17 and will have some money to spend in the next couple months. I want to collect something that will grow in value when im in my 30's-40's. I love the yankee's alot and would love to save up the money and buy a 30's team signed ball with Babe Ruth Gehrig all of them. But i would also love to try to collect a set again. What do you guys think would be best. Also if a set would be a good set. I tryed the T205 but stopped after i got 35 cards. Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Brock- sets are always great to put together but one like T205 could be quite costly. You might consider cards of Hall of Fame players in the best condition you can find. Excellent or better is a good goal, while even a clean VG card from a vintage set is worth putting away. Try to collect what you enjoy too. That will make the process a lot easier.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: Mark T

Depends how much money you are talking about. You can get very nice rare cards if you have $50,000 to $100,000. If you are just looking for an investment with a few thousand $ then its up in the air because no one knows just what cards or signed balls will be worth in 20 years. Watch out for the signed balls, make sure they are legit.

I would say go for a set you like, the way it looks or the rare cards. If you like portrait cards then M116 Sporting Life cards are all portrait. If you like action then the Caramels show a lot of action shots. Don't look at it as an investment, try and get cards YOU like and hold them.

Goodluck..

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: peter chao

Brock,

Also, as much as possible get into the history of baseball, read baseball books and hobby magazines. Once you have a baseball era that you are interested in, it will be easier for you to decide on a set during that era. Enjoy the hobby.

Peter

Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: leon

Buy what you enjoy collecting. Personally, I have found type card collecting enjoyable and it has held my interest very well. The uncatalogued cards are almost limitless. It seems I am able to pick up cool stuff quite often, not catalogued with ACC numbers, but cool nonetheless. If you want to go for sets you might do as mentioned and go for M116 or M101-4/5. Either one has HOF'ers you can find for under $200 (maybe even $100 or less) and many commons for $20 or less. These also represent an opportunity to go up a little more than the ones that have skyrocketed in the last few years. T201 and T202 can still be found reasonably also. If you like cool minor league stuff you can go for the Zeenuts (without coupons) or T210's. Either can be found for relative bargains compared to other cards. Lastly, I might suggest looking at T205. Until you get down to the last 10-20 cards you can find them fairly cheaply in decent condition. I have always felt they are some of the prettiest (if a guy can say that?) cards of any set. And lastly as said, and most importantly, collect what you enjoy. Good luck in the hunt....

Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: jay behrens

Stick with cards. Signed anything is a scary field to get into, especially as an investment. It's just way to easy to forge signatures. Even the experts can't guarantee that a sig is real, only that it's highly probable that it is real. The only way to know a signature is real is to get it yourself.

If you like the 30s Yankees, then chasing Yankees players from all the 30s set isn't a bad way to spend your money. It's a whole lot better than spending it on a signed ball that may have fake or clubhouse boy signatures instead of the actual players.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: brock

I Think i may go with the 1934 Goudey's. They look nice and their the Lou Gehrig say's one's which are great because Lou Gehrig is my favorite player. And these really only two cards that are really high in price.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: Jimmy

start slow and key on one topic for a year or so, then get into something else, cards are always the best choice first. With cards you get familiar with the players, sets, type cards, exhibits - the list goes on and on. Read about the hobby on the internet, and read lots of books on history and other hobby resources. Money does not have to come right away, it really is just learning what you want to collect and making right decisions. I have some great resources if you ever want to email me, and go to some shows so you can meet dealers and collectors. I started with pre-war items at 20, I am now 31 and have a website, go to shows and help collectors and dealers - this hobby paid for a lot when I got married and bought my first house

Take Care

Jimmy
J&B Sports

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: anthony

nevermind.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Default investment

Posted By: peter chao