NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Default Where to find vintage photos

Greetings,

I am interested in purchasing some photos of vintage players. I particularly love the photos of Charles Conlon - anything from 1900-1950 is ideal.

I am not looking at the photo as a collectible. So I don't want to pay for an original Conlon. I am happy with something printed recently as long as the subject appeals and it is a quality photo.

I would love to find an archive of hi res public images that would allow printing of an 8x10. Anyone know of such a thing from Library of Congress e.g. Any public domain images available? Or anyone know of a good source for purchasing photos from this era?

I can't seem to find theconloncollection any longer - the website seems down. Anyone know anything about it?

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Eric
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Bill Boyd

Eric,
What part of the country do you live?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Eric,
What part of the country do you live?
I am in NJ, 20 miles west of NYC. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:56 AM
Bill Boyd

NY area, I cannot help to much more then the Library of Congress. The Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland has the Louis VanOeyen collection. You may want to call some of the historical societies in NY, they may be able to help, I am sure there are locations there with collections from noted sports photographers.
Getty has a huge collection, and you can go thru them online and order some prints.
Is this for some sort of a project?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Associated Press sells reprints.

But, honestly, for the price to get someone to print a quality photo or to get one from AP, you could get a nice original vintage photo. A lot of them are quite affordable. Follow RMY Auctions.

But, beyond that, LOC has huge digital images that you can print yourself or get printed, and I've seen folks on eBay who sell LOC reprints for cheap-- don't now the quality though.

I assume you just want some appealing images for display. I understand that.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Richard Simon

Bb hof
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Is this for some sort of a project?
Thanks for the info! The project is to decorate my office! I was lucky enough to get onto Suite level at Yankee Stadium and they have a marvelous collection of photos. I thought it would be nice to get some prints and hang them up. I am most drawn to the vintage images.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Eric
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks everyone. I checked out RMY and Getty and they are more than I was hoping - things like images start at a few hundred and go up. I'll look further though through those sources. I'll check the LOC as well. Thanks!

All suggestions are most welcome.

Eric
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Wayne State University in Detroit has lots of hi-res photos that were donated by the Detroit News. Just search for New York (assuming you're a Yankee fan) and a bunch of Yankees stuff comes up. You could probably have good prints made from them; they're large photos. There's a lot of old baseball.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...vmc;page=index

Stuff like this:

Old 11-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericc22 View Post
Thanks everyone. I checked out RMY and Getty and they are more than I was hoping - things like images start at a few hundred and go up. I'll look further though through those sources. I'll check the LOC as well. Thanks!

All suggestions are most welcome.

Eric
I have not inquired recently but the Hall of Fame was much more reasonable for photos.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

If you order prints from the Associated Press, you can have them printed at your local Staples. I would talk with the Staples printing guy first, though - my Staples was unaware of the arrangement, but assured me that they would create higher-quality prints for me (I had some done by AP, and they were not-so-great).

Any time I've needed a hi-res print, I've just googled the subject with advanced settings set to larger images only, and I've always found what I needed.

Speaking of the Conlon Collection demise - I did order several silver gel prints from them, but never tried the platinum. The silver gels were certainly nicer than anything you could print yourself, but there was nothing vintage-looking about them. But it is a shame that the image collection is no longer available online - that was a fantastic source, and also great for reference. I was able to use it to positively identify many images as Conlons. Surprised that the major AH's didn't appear to use the site for the same purpose.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=SAllen2556;1345531]Wayne State University in Detroit has lots of hi-res photos that were donated by the Detroit News. Just search for New York (assuming you're a Yankee fan) and a bunch of Yankees stuff comes up. You could probably have good prints made from them; they're large photos. There's a lot of old baseball.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...vmc;page=index

Wow, this is terrific - just what I was hoping to find - thank you!!

One question for you - some images such as http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...-46616%5D46616 appear to be very low res - not enough to print. Do you know if there is a way to get a higher res for printing? I'll keep looking but figured I'd check. Thanks so much!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If you order prints from the Associated Press, you can have them printed at your local Staples. I would talk with the Staples printing guy first, though - my Staples was unaware of the arrangement, but assured me that they would create higher-quality prints for me (I had some done by AP, and they were not-so-great).

Any time I've needed a hi-res print, I've just googled the subject with advanced settings set to larger images only, and I've always found what I needed.

Speaking of the Conlon Collection demise - I did order several silver gel prints from them, but never tried the platinum. The silver gels were certainly nicer than anything you could print yourself, but there was nothing vintage-looking about them. But it is a shame that the image collection is no longer available online - that was a fantastic source, and also great for reference. I was able to use it to positively identify many images as Conlons. Surprised that the major AH's didn't appear to use the site for the same purpose.
Great info - thank you! I will check with Staples and what a great suggestion on finding a high res image. Didn't know you could do that. Thanks!

Eric
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah, that 'size' feature in advanced settings has been super-helpful. Also, if you are a Mac user, do such googling with Firefox - Safari has different options that aren't so great.

Here's an example: I just googled 'Babe Ruth' Conlon with size set to larger than 1024 x 768, and found this beauty. Who could possibly need anything higher-res than that? http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...52892a_lg.jpeg

Last edited by Runscott; 11-18-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Yeah, that 'size' feature in advanced settings has been super-helpful. Also, if you are a Mac user, do such googling with Firefox - Safari has different options that aren't so great.

Here's an example: I just googled 'Babe Ruth' Conlon with size set to larger than 1024 x 768, and found this beauty. Who could possibly need anything higher-res than that? http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...52892a_lg.jpeg
Wow, you are right about that - this is an awesome tip!! I never knew this and it is an amazing tip. That's a great pic. I also found one of my favorite Conlon images: http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...52710a_lg.jpeg

Can't thank everyone enough - great suggestions.

Eric
Old 11-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Actually, thank you. I found that Ruth pic because I was trying to find a good example for you - now I'm using it for my desktop picture. If you set it 'as is', you'll get his famous glare.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Boston Public Library

The Boston Public Library has a terrific collection on Flickr.com. There are also lots of other vintage photos in addition. You are allowed to "copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format" as long as not for commercial purposes.

Boston Public Library on Flickr
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

For just browsing through great photos, this is easily my favorite site:

http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/baseball
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Ryan

I think the Conlon Collection may have unofficially moved here :

http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/ch.../framed+prints
Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
I think the Conlon Collection may have unofficially moved here :

http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/ch.../framed+prints
Very interesting. Took a quick look and a number of my favorite images are there. They are a fraction of the price as the previous site. I assume these are mass printed vs. hand printed. Given that images that were only available in platinum for $1,000+ can be had for under $100 on this site, seems that there is quite a difference in approach. This site is quite affordable while the other seemed to be for collectors.

Thanks for sharing this!