NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2024, 08:29 AM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default OT? 1st organized High School Baseball Team in US

I have a theater teacher at my high school that is working on a play. He wants to know when organized baseball teams were created in the United States. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, Jeff W
Old 01-24-2024, 12:56 PM

Default Protoball site

Try the Protoball site as a starting point, there is a section of first teams in various states and towns and usually has informative footnotes in support.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:27 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

There is no indisputable facts known for the origination of baseball, just many argued theories. The Doubleday myth was likely created to attempt to create an explanation for an answer no one has ever been able to prove (and to help dispel the belief that Baseball was birthed from an English game called Rounders, the idea that America's game was foreign was not a well liked one).

Many writings have been found dating the playing of the game or a close version to the mid to later 1700's.

I personally prefer to place the strongest organized play to the East Coast areas of New York and Philadelphia. Team information of organized games begins in the early 1800s.

Let's just say they can read 5 well researched books and likely find 5 strong arguments on this.

I would tell him good luck and a better play may be based not on the founding, but rather the arguments on the founding. Just the creation of the Doubleday myth is a very interesting one.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-24-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
There is no indisputable facts known for the origination of baseball, just many argued theories. The Doubleday myth was likely created to attempt to create an explanation for an answer no one has ever been able to prove (and to help dispel the belief that Baseball was birthed from an English game called Rounders, the idea that America's game was foreign was not a well liked one).

Many writings have been found dating the playing of the game or a close version to the mid to later 1700's.

I personally prefer to place the strongest organized play to the East Coast areas of New York and Philadelphia. Team information of organized games begins in the early 1800s.

Let's just say they can read 5 well researched books and likely find 5 strong arguments on this.

I would tell him good luck and a better play may be based not on the founding, but rather the arguments on the founding. Just the creation of the Doubleday myth is a very interesting one.

You mean we've been lied to all this time? Doubleday and Cooperstown are a sham?

Lot's of good reading on the topic to refute Doubleday and Cooperstown.

Be nice if Dreker would weigh in on this. Could you imagine if baseball was as popular today as it was 100 years ago? All kinds of teams with organized and unorganized leagues. Companies having teams. Baseball was the game 100 years ago.

Edited to add - when I was a kid I believed the Doubleday/Cooperstown story, but then we all begin to read and find out not everything we hear is true. Kind of like, "don't believe everything you hear on the internet".

Last edited by Fred; 01-24-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:10 PM
Frank Wakefield

I don't have a clue as to the answer of which high school had the first baseball team... But who would the play? Can't play a high school baseball game without that second high school baseball team.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:20 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I don't have a clue as to the answer of which high school had the first baseball team... But who would the play? Can't play a high school baseball game without that second high school baseball team.
Thats not really true. Back in the day, college teams played high schools, military bases, company teams, professional teams, MLB teams and on and on. Playing a team nearby or in town was for more of a determination than originating level.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1
Lots of pick up games in the old days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Thats not really true. Back in the day, college teams played high schools, military bases, company teams, professional teams, MLB teams and on and on. Playing a team nearby or in town was for more of a determination than originating level.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:16 AM
Frank Wakefield

I still think what I said in post 5 is true. The first HS team couldn't play another HS team until there's a second HS team.

And I agree that there were lots of pick up games and town ball games back in the day, along with teams at military camps, colleges, boarding schools, and the like.

"I don't have a clue..." that remains true.

Next is a question, "who would they play?", that's a question.

"Can't play a high school baseball game without that second high school baseball team" That's true. That first HS team could have played pick up games, town teams, college teams, military bases, company teams, professional teams, MLB teams and on and on. BUT, that first HS team can't play a high school baseball game unless the other team is from a high school.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:51 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

If you really want to get technical what we know as High Schools were called Academies until the 19th century in which the term Normal School was used. High School wasn’t used until the early 20 th Century.In addition, the first state to have compulsory education was Massachusetts in 1852 but this only applied to grammar school.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:08 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Intramural?
Old 01-26-2024, 09:32 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
You got it, look at all the random local gyms, athletic clubs, Surgical schools and anyone they could get, University of Michigan has for football victories in the 1800's.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Try the Protoball site as a starting point, there is a section of first teams in various states and towns and usually has informative footnotes in support.
Whoa! I just went to their site. Thanks! Awesome!!
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/