NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Default Pre-War Historic Games. Choose your own game...

If you could have been at one Historic game in Baseball History, which one would you chose?

If you want to choose from my top ten list see my Historic Games POLL thread...

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-23-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Scott

A couple for me..

Lou Gehrig's Luckiest Man speech in 1939
And Id say the Last game of the 1903 world series, for the atmosphere.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Joe Jesselli

I'd like to see any of the classic pitching duels between Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson, any of the 1-0 games would do, I ain't picky
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM

I would love to have been in Chicago during the 1906 World Series (White Sox vs. Cubs).

Would have been great to be in that town for the week and catch the games.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Sean Brennan

merkle game no doubt
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Rick P

For drama and pure pitching excellence, I go with the September 6, 1912 game when Smoky Joe Wood brought a 14-game winning streak to Fenway Park to face Walter Johnson, who had recently had his own 14-game streak snapped. Wood won the game 1-0 but both pitchers were masterful before an overflow crowd of 29,000.

For offense, I'd be in Cleveland on July 10, 1932 when the Philadelphia Athletics edged the Indians in 18 innings by a score of 18-17. To save train fare for the single-date appearance‚ Connie Mack brought only 2 pitchers. Lew Krausse‚ Sr. the A's starting pitcher‚ gave up 4 hits in the 1st inning and was pulled. Replacement Eddie Rommel then pitched 17 innings in relief‚ giving up a record 29 hits but earning the victory. Cleveland had the game apparently won in the 9th inning but with two outs and leading 14-13‚ first sacker Ed Morgan allowed a ground ball by Dykes to roll through his legs. A walk to Simmons and a single by Jimmie Foxx‚ one of his 6 hits in the game‚ tied the score. Cleveland's Johnny Burnett set a ML record by collecting 9 hits in 11 at bats‚ while Foxx banged out three home runs, posted 16 total bases (3rd AL player to do it) and drove in 8 runs‚ including the winner. Wes Ferrell (16-6) was the hard luck loser‚ pitching 11+ innings of relief two days after pitching a complete-game win over Washington. Cleveland set an AL record for stranded runners with 24.