NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 AM

Default November pickups

OK, so I'm a day early- sorry! Who has time tonight when I'm going to be busier than a one armed paper hanger passing out Halloween candy?

I don't yet have these in hand, but I just picked up 3 original snapshots of Jim Tobin's 2-0 no-hitter over the Brooklyn Dodgers at Braves Field on April 27, 1944.

Three things make this game rather intriguing:

1) There were only 1,934 patrons in attendance on this raw April day in WWII era Boston. This ranks as the second lowest attended no-hit game in the modern era. Fortunately, one of the fans, Bill Scott, took the time to capture photos of the starting pitcher, Jim Tobin and his battery mate Phil Masi warming up along the sideline prior to the contest. The best photo shows a panoramic shot of the Braves team celebrating at home plate at the conclusion of the game. Look at the scant few patrons in the stands! This photo really does a great job of showing you how dreary the day actually was...

2) Jim Tobin became only the 2nd pitcher to ever homer in his own no-hit game.

3) These snapshots make great complimentary pieces to the only known surviving ticket stub to Tobin's gem that I own in my no-hit ticket collection. I never thought I would find any game photos to this game, but you just never know!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-31-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Geez Scott. Those snapshots are awesome! You really are taking companion pieces to the next level.

Like you, I don't have these pieces in hand but they're on the way.

Program and Ticket for The Royal World Premiere of The Beatles' Film - A Hard Day's Night

The London Pavilion, Shaftesbury Avenue on Monday 6th July 1964 at 8.30pm. Attended by The Beatles, Princess Margaret and The Earl of Snowdon.

And... the companion piece that I found from a seller in ANKARA, Turkey! THE BEATLES & PRINCESS MARGARET 1964 ORIGINAL PRESS PHOTO AT THE WORLD PREMIERE OF THE BEATLES "A HARD DAYS NIGHT" FILM.

Beatles-Royal-World-Premiere-Programme&Ticket-1.jpgBeatles-Royal-World-Premiere-Programme&Ticket-3.jpgBeatles-Royal-World-Premiere-Programme&Ticket-2.jpg

1964-Beatles-A-Hard-Days-Night-Press-Photo-1.jpg1964-Beatles-A-Hard-Days-Night-Press-Photo-2.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 11-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Awesome Beatles early pieces, Jimmy!

A Beatles pickup from a seller in Turkey? That's just crazy!! That's what I call flipping some rocks...very cool!

Isn't eBay unbelievable? As an occasional seller, I've sold things to people from all over the world. It always boggles my mind where collectors live.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 AM
chris

Very cool Scott! The photos with the stub really tell the story well...
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Looks like every one of those fans poured onto the field! LOL
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Looks like every one of those fans poured onto the field! LOL
Thanks Chris!

Randall, I'd have to agree. The crowd at Tobin's no-hitter even looks smaller than the one that actually witnessed Randy Johnson's 300th win in Washington!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-04-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Greenberg collection
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
GaryPassamonte

This may not be baseball, but it's definitely a circa 1850s daguerreotype showing a ball. Though unknowable with certainty, the earliest images showing baseballs, or any baseball equipment for that matter, may be the handful of dags of children that show balls. Many early children's books refer to base ball being played by children. Though unable to prove, I'd like to romantically think this boy is showing us his prized baseball in this image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bballdag.jpg (70.1 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Very nice, Gary. For the price (I seem to remember that one on ebay recently), I don't think you can go wrong with such a piece.

I personally think it's Alexander Cartwright's child, playing with one of the balls that AJC saved from the first baseball game ever.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
GaryPassamonte

Scott-There is a straw hat in the picture. Knickerbockers? Maybe you're on to something.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 AM
GaryPassamonte

Not great, but circa 1865 CDV with equipment. Blank backed so I can't ID.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6465.jpg (45.9 KB, 497 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 11-18-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Phil Garry

Very nice, Joe, have never seen those before.