NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 PM
J0hn H@rper

Default Grading head scratchers

Regardless of how subjective things could possibly get between different graders at any of the big 3, you'd like to have at least some sense of consistency that you can loosely rely on (scandal aside).

At times I want to think that's sometimes the case. Then you see something like this....

I have a '55 T Jackie Robinson that looks like a 6 on the front. A light crease halfway down the back. PSA gave it a 2. I'm thinking, ok, it has a crease somewhere, it got a 2.

Then I see this today:

How on earth....a 3.5 by comparison? The crease along the upper right part of the card is even more pronounced zooming in. Then whatever is going on in the bottom right. Corners mediocre. 70/30 L/R. Can't even see the back so it might even get worse.

I don't get it.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-02-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

I feel your pain. Not sure why this Bench graded a 2.5 as the back is clean and cannot see any creases. Some grades just don't add up. Post a pict of your 55 Robinson I would love to see it.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:47 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
I feel your pain. Not sure why this Bench graded a 2.5 as the back is clean and cannot see any creases. Some grades just don't add up. Post a pict of your 55 Robinson I would love to see it.

That Bench card seems to make no sense.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Anson

Whenever i see something like that Bench, i immediately inspect the white areas for a hint of paper loss. The 2.5 grade is what you would wxpect from such a situation from an otherwise nice looking card.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:11 PM
Bob B.

Default Robinson

Just to the right of B on the hat. A spot?
Old 01-02-2020, 08:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
Just to the right of B on the hat. A spot?
That spot isn't on the card (glare from the pic).

The grade for the Musial is even more confusing to me though. They must have their reasons for the Robinson or even the Bench, but that 3.5 seems really odd for Stan
Old 01-03-2020, 04:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

The Musial could be a reholder of an old grade. I will agree with you this type of thing is very frustrating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 04:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
The Musial could be a reholder of an old grade. I will agree with you this type of thing is very frustrating though.
Nope; graded recently based on Cert number.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Based on the scans - I would put the Robinson at a 5 - all day - every day

Go Figure - and yet the PSA opinion is still worth 20 bucks a pop?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:05 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I would think that they deducted for the erasure mark to the right of Robinson's head, paper loss on left boarder in two spots, and creased in the upper right corner from the edge being dinged up. The back is toned and has some boarder issues.

I do think the grade on the Musial is a bit to high considering the condition.

Member since 2009
Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
I would think that they deducted for the erasure mark to the right of Robinson's head, paper loss on left boarder in two spots, and creased in the upper right corner from the edge being dinged up. The back is toned and has some boarder issues.

I do think the grade on the Musial is a bit to high considering the condition.
The white spot to the right of his head is glare from the pic. After another look, I uncovered a bigger upper right corner peeling issue that I never noticed at first (or second) look. Upper right per the photo/looking horizontally, that is. I don't think it's really visible in the pics, nor is the light crease down part of the back.

Uncovering all of these visible only at the right light/tilt/angle imperfections (while squinting my bifocal eyes through the slab) is aging me even more. I miss simply looking at raw cards 25-30 years ago in high school and just being in the ballpark with something's condition. Anyway...

As mentioned above, you knew they had their reasons for not giving it the mid-level grade that it appeared at first glance. And being as rough on it as possible could get you down to a 2 by the time you're done breaking it down. But if you did the same to the Musial, 3.5 seems like a dream, so I still don't agree at all with it being 1.5 higher

Last edited by cardsagain74; 01-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Derek Granger

Default head scratcher

Despite that this card looks like it should grade higher, how does a card with such a huge pinhole get a "4"??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Williams - 1939 Pinhole.jpg (10.0 KB, 405 views)

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Jay Cee

Maybe the Slab came from Mexico or the grader just looked at the centering and the corners which would have made it NM. Plus, who did the submission as Im sure that had no bearing.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Glyn Parson

Not a pin hole the reverse image shows no hole I think it’s some sort of dot on the card. Look up the image PSA has one on the site. But I know it’s more fun to boil up all these internet conspiracy theories. And some wonder why more don’t take the true crimes seriously because fools hurl rocks at things that aren’t even deserved. Plenty of legit stuff to complain about to go around fabricating or exaggerating things.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Ron Rice

Default Grading mysteries

PSA is really tough on any sort of glue residue. I've seen Ex-Mt card get graded as a PSA 2. They are also tough on minor wrinkles that are hard to see in scans.

You might try cracking them out of the holders and re-submitting. I've had some luck with that on cards that seemed badly under graded. It could just be a mistake.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Not a pin hole the reverse image shows no hole I think it’s some sort of dot on the card. Look up the image PSA has one on the site. But I know it’s more fun to boil up all these internet conspiracy theories. And some wonder why more don’t take the true crimes seriously because fools hurl rocks at things that aren’t even deserved. Plenty of legit stuff to complain about to go around fabricating or exaggerating things.
Wow! That is an excellent resource. I've never used the PSA certification verification page. Wish the auction site that is selling this card had shared a back scan (or at least pointed out that the big black hole looking spot in the exact spot that a pinhole would exist is not actually a pinhole). I have never EVER seen a black spot in that location that is not a pinhole. Thanks for quelling my fears that this had somehow slipped past a PSA grader! Okay, that "4" is rock solid then!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Print defect(s)???

1961banksmvp485front.jpg1961banksmvp485back.jpg

A couple of tiny white specks in the blue? A tiny bit of black 'overrun' ink to the left of "Valuable"?? There is no way this card should be a PD.

I've contacted PSA repeatedly about having the PD designation examined and (hopefully) removed (steps to take, etc.) and they NEVER respond with any info. The person I contacted readily helped me resolve other issues (a fraudulent use of photoshop by someone in the registry to make a mislabeled card appear to actually be the card the label indicated, and correctly changing the label of a card I submitted through Bobby's bulk submission to what it should have been in the first place), so their silence is pretty irritating.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
PSA is really tough on any sort of glue residue. I've seen Ex-Mt card get graded as a PSA 2. They are also tough on minor wrinkles that are hard to see in scans.

You might try cracking them out of the holders and re-submitting. I've had some luck with that on cards that seemed badly under graded. It could just be a mistake.
That's what I hate about TPG, it cost money to grade and I am not made of money and don't have the money to play the game and submit things multiple times
Old 01-04-2020, 08:01 AM
Sam Lemoine

I have never understood the whole numeric system at all. A card can be gem mint in appearance but have an invisible microcrease on the back only visible by 10x loupe and it's a 5. In the old days that card would sell at top condition all day long. Yet, I have seen (the variety of 52 Topps Mantles is a good example) all 1's lumped into the same giant cesspool. There are 1's that actually present decently and others that went through a washing machine. There are many 4's that present beautifully. Why is their grade only 3 away from the washing machine card?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:29 AM
J0hn Collin$

All of this is just further proof of what many have contested for quite some time: Grading, beyond certain obvious agreed-upon standards at some point reaches a level of subjectivity that cannot be further defined. ALL of the big 3 are routinely inconsistent at least when it comes to details; I have some cards graded 6.5 that look worse than other 5’s. This has always happened, and will continue to happen with the way the current grading platforms work. While I can tolerate subtle inconsistency, my problem with a major grader such as PSA is how their consistency changes over the decades. Look at a vintage PSA 5 of say, an early 1960’s Topps card that was graded 25 years ago, and tell me if you think many of those would receive the same grade today?

While I still believe that overall, grading has helped the hobby and is a useful tool at a higher level, at some point the subtleties that exist in the system today are simply fallacies due to the inherent subjectivity in the process that is eventually reached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I have never understood the whole numeric system at all. A card can be gem mint in appearance but have an invisible microcrease on the back only visible by 10x loupe and it's a 5. In the old days that card would sell at top condition all day long. Yet, I have seen (the variety of 52 Topps Mantles is a good example) all 1's lumped into the same giant cesspool. There are 1's that actually present decently and others that went through a washing machine. There are many 4's that present beautifully. Why is their grade only 3 away from the washing machine card?
Agree completely. There is far too much variance granted at the lower levels, and only microscopic differences separating grades of 7-8-9-10. How and why did this become the standard? The whole system needs to be re-examined... not only for detecting altered cards, but for a more equitable grading scale.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree completely. There is far too much variance granted at the lower levels, and only microscopic differences separating grades of 7-8-9-10. How and why did this become the standard? The whole system needs to be re-examined... not only for detecting altered cards, but for a more equitable grading scale.
I respectfully disagree when it comes to the grading scale. It is designed to take the actual condition of the card into account. The problem I see is many people want to change that to "eye appeal". Eye appeal should make a big difference on price but should have absolutely nothing to do with the grade that uses the actual condition of the card.

Wasn't the whole idea of half grades to take the eye appeal into account?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I respectfully disagree when it comes to the grading scale. It is designed to take the actual condition of the card into account. The problem I see is many people want to change that to "eye appeal". Eye appeal should make a big difference on price but should have absolutely nothing to do with the grade that uses the actual condition of the card.

Wasn't the whole idea of half grades to take the eye appeal into account?
Maybe?

But much more prevalent in their creation of half-grades was to generate millions of additional unnecessary submissions, and subsequent profits for their shareholders.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Part of it was the need for the TPG's to peg traditional grades (yes, they existed before the TPG's...) to a 10 point scale. Back in the 1980's and earlier, there were named grades from Mint to Poor, starting likely with the advent of hobby magazines in the late 70's and early 80's. Interestingly enough, I will always remember how careful the guides were then to point out that grading was only an opinion, and that collectors frequently disagreed on the "grades". (Funny how that plays today, huh? That's right, it's the same damn argument...) Anyway, the point was that eventually these named grades developed into ranges like VG-EX, EX-MT, etc. to provide a means to give collectors and dealers greater descriptive ability when there was a disagreement. If a card was maybe an EX but a weak EX, had too much corner wear or something, well then call it VG-EX. A card that was obviously not "Mint" for some reason, but better than EX was called EX-MT. All of this worked fine until the TPG's came along and decided that EX-MT was a precise grade / thing, and called it a 6. It was never really meant to be used that way by those in the hobby at the time, but suddenly now we have a pegged grade. This just got worse and worse of course as time went on, with the advent of half-grades, etc. Yes, please resubmit those cards for more money to get the half grade bump! If you think cards are bad, try the coin hobby - where the top grade, "MS" (Mint State") has like 5 different ranges if I'm not mistaken, from 65-70. The coin hobby by the way, is who you can blame all this on with our modern professional card graders. What company did CU and David Hall start before PSA? PCGS and coins in 1986. I digress...

The point of this is that the lower end of the scale being less important then as it is now, got less attention in the ever more ridiculous attempts to further refine grading scales. So by comparison to the upper grades, the Poor to about Good range with many TPG's still has even more subjectivity and room for variation. It's not necessarily fair, no, but grading scales have generally been written to evaluate "technical condition", not eye-appeal alone. If we are going on eye-appeal alone (again, still subjective - one man's beater Mantle card may still be the Mona Lisa in his eyes...) that might be a different story as to how to evaluate cards in the lower end of the technical spectrum.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Maybe?

But much more prevalent in their creation of half-grades was to generate millions of additional unnecessary submissions, and subsequent profits for their shareholders.
I agree 100% with that, like the new slab, the new lighthouse shiny thingy, and the new security chip that is on the way.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Maybe?

Yes, technically a "x.5" is whatever grade that did not meet the criteria for the next full grade, but with greater eye appeal. Eh, sometimes. I've seen it written in many places that centering is the most important criteria to get a .5 bump, and then in reality seen plenty of less than perfectly or sometimes even decently centered cards graded 4.5, 6.5, what have you. It’s subjectivity at best, a gimmick at the worst.

I would agree that revenue generation, and the idea of many more unnecessary submissions in the eyes of TPG executives was more responsible for them doing that than the need to improve the grading scale. That said...have I mentioned I love graded cards with the .5 bump!?! I know. But it's human nature. This card is that much more slightly better because it's a whatever, POINT FIVE. lol.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:55 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
have I mentioned I love graded cards with the .5 bump!?! I know. But it's human nature. This card is that much more slightly better because it's a whatever, POINT FIVE. lol.
So damned funny.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:44 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

A few "consistencies" - Industry standards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psa_keefe.jpg (79.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg psa-glasscock.jpg (80.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg psa-cj.jpg (55.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg dahlen-clarke.jpg (77.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg duffy.jpg (37.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg mulldoon.jpg (54.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Lot324a_lg.jpg (76.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg t206cobb3-5.jpg (76.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:41 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

R A N D O M...

The fact that the N162 Keefe is the same grade as the Cracker Jack Mullen tells you all you need to know. What's the point of them even assigning a number grade anymore?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Key takeaway - There is a lot of subjectivity in TPG holders....