NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Just realized I have a hobby record!

With all this talk of the National, I got to thinking about being a collector who hasn't been to one. Figured someone had to have simply not gone for longer, then realized the first one was after I started collecting.

Anyone want to admit sharing the record for most years in a row not attending the national with me?

Steve B
And yes, every year I'm a bit jealous.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

We're tied so far.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Al Richter

"When I was young I wanted to eventually build the world's longest extension bridge, but then I found out that it had already been done "... Jack Handey
Old 07-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Ben North

I would like to attend some time but I am with Steve for now.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I have attended in two millennia. Can anyone top that?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Sean Costello

I think your record is safe Frank. And the rest of you have made me feel better about not being able to attend this year.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:12 PM

The admission charge alone would drain our annual collectibles budget.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 07-28-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I have attended in two millennia. Can anyone top that?
I have attended in 4 different decades.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default went

OK, how about 1 timers ?

me - once
Old 07-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Robert Williams

Never been to one here.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I have only attended 2 Nationals and both were in Atlanta in the 1990s. While it would be great to see faces of people I communicate with and collect with I always figured the money spent on all the things involving going to The National I could spend on adding things to my collection.
After the bad experiences people had with the last National in Atlanta ( Atlanta hosted 2 within a 3or 4 year period ) I wonder if a southern city , whether Atlanta or not , will ever host another National.

Last edited by Klrdds; 07-28-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

The only National I have attended was in Chicago 2015. It was a fun experience, and perhaps someday I will go to another one. However, as others have said, the costs of getting there are a negative and could be used to buy more cards. Also my card collecting interests have gravitated to the early days of the Pacific Coast League. If I were going to make a big collecting trip, it would be to The Seattle (Shoreline) show promoted by the Washington State Sports Collectors Association.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 07-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:58 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Zero. for me...
Old 07-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Mike

Default Uno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
OK, how about 1 timers ?

me - once
Same - 1990, Arlington
Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 AM
Joshua Van Pelt

Quote:
OK, how about 1 timers ?

me - once

Once- 1988 Atlantic City, NJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I have only attended 2 Nationals and both were in Atlanta in the 1990s. While it would be great to see faces of people I communicate with and collect with I always figured the money spent on all the things involving going to The National I could spend on adding things to my collection.
After the bad experiences people had with the last National in Atlanta ( Atlanta hosted 2 within a 3or 4 year period ) I wonder if a southern city , whether Atlanta or not , will ever host another National.
Never been to one..but good to know there has been some down here, despite what seems to be bad show.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have attended in 4 different decades.
Me too
Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
OK, how about 1 timers ?

me - once
Once. Chicago several years back. Would love to go again, but it's also hard to justify the trip from CO. I could plow that money into cards instead.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM

I think it's a premier event. You see all kinds of GREAT stuff, amidst all kinds of kitsch and common. If you're a frequent message board participant, you're bound to run in to fellow collectors you've enjoyed reading through the years. You would get a chance to match a face with their moniker, and have a real live conversation. When collectors have shared their memories of the National, meeting and enjoying their fellow collectors was often a highlight.

For the languid loner, or the anti-social type, you'd be very uncomfortable.

As some of us age, a good idea would be some sort of a bus tour trip, starting from a decent-sized city, for a one-day deal. On further thought, that's probably very impractical.

One time I went, and the PSA booth had the $2.8 million dollar T-206 Honus Wagner on display. Wow, I will always remember that occasion.

Another time, I took my most cherished card to get it graded at the Chicago National. Sadly, PSA was not grading over-sized cards at the Nat, so I could submit it, and it would have to go bye-bye to Newport Beach. As tough as that was, it HAD to be done. Boy, was I ever glad I didn't change my mind. It came back more than just fine, and I am not ashamed to say I cried like a kid when I opened the package and unwrapped their verdict. There's something about "MINT 9" that can do that to a man.

So you refuse to go to the hobby's main event? What then have you really accomplished by not going? I do not infer you've failed as a collector. No way. However, to deprive yourself of all that potential joy seems deflating. You might be extremely advanced, and pride yourself for that, and believe you won't find anyone on your planet to converse with. I believe you'd be surprised at whom you might meet. Though, if you truly are anti-social, then you've made the right life choices on this one.

----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-29-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:34 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I attended Atlantic City, Houston and Baltimore. I am sure I'll get to another one, but it's a pretty clique-y event in many ways. I have trouble getting dealer's attention and it just goes on and on. I can sometimes get good buys, but it seems harder than just cruising eBay and BST.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I attended Atlantic City, Houston and Baltimore. I am sure I'll get to another one, but it's a pretty clique-y event in many ways. I have trouble getting dealer's attention and it just goes on and on. I can sometimes get good buys, but it seems harder than just cruising eBay and BST.
I hear what you're saying LOUD and CLEAR, bro. A very right-on observation. At the end of the day, today, eBay is the way to go for many of us. Keep cruisin', mate! I hope you're able to bag a good one this weekend, as it is indeed genuine consolation. Take care. ---Brian Powell
Old 07-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
So you refuse to go to the hobby's main event? What then have you really accomplished by not going? I do not infer you've failed as a collector. No way. However, to deprive yourself of all that potential joy seems deflating. You might be extremely advanced, and pride yourself for that, and believe you won't find anyone on your planet to converse with. I believe you'd be surprised at whom you might meet. Though, if you truly are anti-social, then you've made the right life choices on this one.

----Brian Powell
It's not that I refuse to go, I would actually like to go!

I just haven't. Either I haven't had the ability to take the time off, or couldn't afford to go AND buy stuff. And really, what's the point of going to that sort of show and not buying anything.

I haven't been to many big shows for my other hobbies either, although I did go to a big bicycle collecting event (and big for them will fit in a high school gym) And the international stamp show in DC back in 2006. I only got to that by having family in the area so I wouldn't have the cost of a hotel. Other than that, stuff on the level of the Wilmington show is about as big a thing as I've gone to.

Steve B
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's not that I refuse to go, I would actually like to go!

I just haven't. Either I haven't had the ability to take the time off, or couldn't afford to go AND buy stuff. And really, what's the point of going to that sort of show and not buying anything.

I haven't been to many big shows for my other hobbies either, although I did go to a big bicycle collecting event (and big for them will fit in a high school gym) And the international stamp show in DC back in 2006. I only got to that by having family in the area so I wouldn't have the cost of a hotel. Other than that, stuff on the level of the Wilmington show is about as big a thing as I've gone to.

Steve B
Steve, I'm sorry. We have a lot in common. My work precludes me from taking much time off. When I went to the big Willow Grove show in the fall of 1988, I was only able to go because my family and I were visiting friends in Indiana. I never could have done that, living as we were in South Dakota. Within one night, I spent all the money I had brought. I went the following day, looking around, seeing all kinds of cards and items I would want to buy. Speaking to a dealer about an item I wanted from him, when he ascertained I was broke, aside from the funds I needed to get back to Indiana, he quietly asked me, "WHAT are you doing here?" He wasn't trying to humiliate me, or shame me, but I soon walked out of the show.

Going to the National today, I would not have had enough to do any serious buying, and why go if the stuff you really enjoy is way out of your range? I guess at my age, I am accepting this fact of life. Perhaps I would enjoy browsing and admiring.

Perhaps.

Anyway, I sincerely apologize to you for my chiding, though I hope you know my tone was "Ah, come on, buddy, you can do this...." There really can be long periods when, "No buddy, I cannot do this."

At least we both have a collection we can still enjoy and admire.

Have a peaceful day, mate. ----Brian Powell
Old 08-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Steve, I'm sorry. We have a lot in common. My work precludes me from taking much time off. When I went to the big Willow Grove show in the fall of 1988, I was only able to go because my family and I were visiting friends in Indiana. I never could have done that, living as we were in South Dakota. Within one night, I spent all the money I had brought. I went the following day, looking around, seeing all kinds of cards and items I would want to buy. Speaking to a dealer about an item I wanted from him, when he ascertained I was broke, aside from the funds I needed to get back to Indiana, he quietly asked me, "WHAT are you doing here?" He wasn't trying to humiliate me, or shame me, but I soon walked out of the show.

Going to the National today, I would not have had enough to do any serious buying, and why go if the stuff you really enjoy is way out of your range? I guess at my age, I am accepting this fact of life. Perhaps I would enjoy browsing and admiring.

Perhaps.

Anyway, I sincerely apologize to you for my chiding, though I hope you know my tone was "Ah, come on, buddy, you can do this...." There really can be long periods when, "No buddy, I cannot do this."

No worries Brian!

I didn't want you or anyone else thinking that I had anything against the National, or any big show in any hobby. And it usually takes a lot to really bother me. (Usually, I've had my moments....)

One thing I've long thought that card/memorabilia shows are missing is displays. While the demographic certainly skews older, the huge stamp shows and many small ones all have displays that show a particular aspect of collecting. At most shows they're competitive, with prizes to be had for having a display that meets certain goals and explains something really well.

The ones at the international stamp show were amazing, and would have been worth going just to see them even if I didn't buy anything.
I did get a few things though, and a bit of an education on why the really big dealers are really big. I found one stamp I needed at the booth of one of the very big dealers. Like he had a booth he'd paid I think somewhere into the 6 figures for. Around 20x 30 ft, all locking cabinets surrounded by display cases, with usually 3-4 stamps in a 4 foot long case. The "cheap" ones were 5-6000 And some of them were over 100,000. The very attentive employee asked if he could help me, and I told him I didn't think he had anything I needed that I could also afford but I was enjoying the booth. He simply said "well, you should try us, we have stamps for all budgets" So I said I needed an O58s, and he went into a cabinet and brought out a small box saying "we have a few in here" ....Yes, about 10 copies of something I'd looked for a nice one at a nice price for maybe a year and a half. All priced very reasonably. Totally pleasant experience, and the guy dealing with regular sales over 10K made my $50 buy seem just as important. The other guy he helped while I picked out which one I wanted had selected about 15K of stuff while I was standing next to him. and was still looking after I'd finished!

The GBSCC show had a few displays one year, but it didn't go any farther than that.

Steve B
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecafewha View Post
Once- 1988 Atlantic City, NJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exact same thing for me.

Mike
Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
I think it's a premier event. You see all kinds of GREAT stuff, amidst all kinds of kitsch and common. If you're a frequent message board participant, you're bound to run in to fellow collectors you've enjoyed reading through the years. You would get a chance to match a face with their moniker, and have a real live conversation. When collectors have shared their memories of the National, meeting and enjoying their fellow collectors was often a highlight.

As some of us age, a good idea would be some sort of a bus tour trip, starting from a decent-sized city, for a one-day deal. On further thought, that's probably very impractical.

One time I went, and the PSA booth had the $2.8 million dollar T-206 Honus Wagner on display. Wow, I will always remember that occasion.

Another time, I took my most cherished card to get it graded at the Chicago National. Sadly, PSA was not grading over-sized cards at the Nat, so I could submit it, and it would have to go bye-bye to Newport Beach. As tough as that was, it HAD to be done. Boy, was I ever glad I didn't change my mind. It came back more than just fine, and I am not ashamed to say I cried like a kid when I opened the package and unwrapped their verdict. There's something about "MINT 9" that can do that to a man.

----Brian Powell
Hi Brian, Was this at the 2003 National in AC? I remember it was on display
there.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Larry

Quote:

----Brian Powell
I agree with all the pluses you've pointed out, Brian. I've attended about two-thirds of them since my first in Atlanta in '92 (which I thought was absolutely terrific) and have enjoyed every one. More so with the Net54 dinner the last two years--kudos to Leon!

Regards,

Larry
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Larry

Quote:

Perhaps.

I've been in such circumstances at past Nationals, Brian, and what I've done is ask for a business card from a dealer who has something I want but don't have the funds for with me at that time. More than once, I have called that dealer, he still had the item and I arranged to purchase it.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry
Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Curt

Never gone to one, probably never will.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Ron

Never been to one. So far the negatives have outweighed the positives for me. I imagine that the difficult dealers/overpriced cards are getting more attention than the reasonable ones. All those T206 Cobbs in the one case looked fairly priced. Hard to put a positive light on the entrance/parking fees. The Net54 event sounded very interesting (especially the FBI guy). I have enjoyed reading all the posts regarding the show.

I might make Cleveland my first next year. Still on the fence...
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

I haven't been to one yet but it is definitely on the bucket list, even if I can't afford to purchase anything.

My thinking is, and it's likely already been discussed in this thread, is where else can you see, and possibly hold, some of the most desirable cards and memorabilia in the hobby.

I know I'd likely be salivating at almost every table I attend, and to me, that would be more than worth the price of admission.

Last edited by irv; 08-02-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Hi Brian, Was this at the 2003 National in AC? I remember it was on display
there.
No Pat. The time I saw THE Wagner was at the 2002 National in Chicago. It was on display beside the PSA booth, in its own case. Thanks for asking.

Take care. ---Brian Powell
Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
No worries Brian!

I didn't want you or anyone else thinking that I had anything against the National, or any big show in any hobby. And it usually takes a lot to really bother me. (Usually, I've had my moments....)

One thing I've long thought that card/memorabilia shows are missing is displays. While the demographic certainly skews older, the huge stamp shows and many small ones all have displays that show a particular aspect of collecting. At most shows they're competitive, with prizes to be had for having a display that meets certain goals and explains something really well.

The ones at the international stamp show were amazing, and would have been worth going just to see them even if I didn't buy anything.
I did get a few things though, and a bit of an education on why the really big dealers are really big. I found one stamp I needed at the booth of one of the very big dealers. Like he had a booth he'd paid I think somewhere into the 6 figures for. Around 20x 30 ft, all locking cabinets surrounded by display cases, with usually 3-4 stamps in a 4 foot long case. The "cheap" ones were 5-6000 And some of them were over 100,000. The very attentive employee asked if he could help me, and I told him I didn't think he had anything I needed that I could also afford but I was enjoying the booth. He simply said "well, you should try us, we have stamps for all budgets" So I said I needed an O58s, and he went into a cabinet and brought out a small box saying "we have a few in here" ....Yes, about 10 copies of something I'd looked for a nice one at a nice price for maybe a year and a half. All priced very reasonably. Totally pleasant experience, and the guy dealing with regular sales over 10K made my $50 buy seem just as important. The other guy he helped while I picked out which one I wanted had selected about 15K of stuff while I was standing next to him. and was still looking after I'd finished!

The GBSCC show had a few displays one year, but it didn't go any farther than that.

Steve B
Thanks, Steve. You are a terrific storyteller. I am glad that stamp dealer treated you with dignity and respect, as he should. Good for business. Everyone gets their turn in order, just as the post office.

Besides, you never know who you're dealing with. Treating someone well for a minor purchase may some day lead to a major purchase, or, working with them to sell your collection. All too many dealers, from all sorts of hobbies, disrespect the small guy.

My other hobby is model car collecting. I pretty much only deal with Replicarz out of Vermont. They have humbled me time after time with their kindness and professional courtesy. Their customer service rating is AAA, with none higher.

Have a swell day, Steve. ---Brian Powell