NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default OT: Will the NL adopt the DH soon?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The Braves might be in favor of the DH:

Pitchers were 23-for-283 - that's a .081 clip, folks.

Foltynewicz, Newcome and Anabel Sanchez:

3/58; 2/45 & 1/42 = 6-for-145 - .041 with 98 Ks

Giving up a ton of ABs!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Ken McMillan

I hope not. Takes away some of the strategy of the game
Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 PM
Fred

What about talk to require a minimum of three batters for a relief pitcher. I get it, they want to cut down the game time but that just seems a bit extreme.

There are a limited number of pitchers on the roster so it's not like the manager doesn't have to take that into consideration.

What happens if the pitcher is hurt and cannot pitch to the minimum 3 batters? Do they force the club to put the pitcher on the DL just to show the injury was sufficient?

If they want to speed up the game then wouldn't adding a DH to the NL squad do the opposite?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:28 AM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I hope not. Takes away some of the strategy of the game
This. However, it would workout nicely for the Cubs and Kyle Schwarber.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 AM
Mike Mattsey

And who wants to live in a world where this would no longer be possible...

https://youtu.be/OVFsq9FQBlc
Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

If they want to improve the game for the fans, the most important is to fire any broadcaster or writer for mlb who uses stats that we don’t understand or care about like : launch angle, fip, exit velocity, wRc, etc. It’s the #1 thing driving fans away. Just stick to hits, rbi, batting average, era, strikeouts.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Barry Sloate

DH takes away strategy but adds offense, and I think fans enjoy high scoring games. Also, it's time for both leagues to play with the same rules. Although controversial, maybe not a bad idea to employ it.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
DH takes away strategy but adds offense, and I think fans enjoy high scoring games. Also, it's time for both leagues to play with the same rules. Although controversial, maybe not a bad idea to employ it.
Imagine if you will an NFL where in the NFC only a single extra point was permitted, while in the AFC the two point conversion was allowed.

In games between teams from each conferencre, the rule applicable for the home team would be used for that game.

In the Super Bowl the rules for the team that won the coin flip would be used in the first and fourth quarters and the other rules would be used in the second and third quarter.

Think about it. Is there anyone in their right mind, if such a scheme was adopted, who would not think it was created and approved by an idiot, or a rules committee populated by a majority of idiots.

The whole DH thing hasn’t made sense for forty odd years since it was instituted. If you raise your son to become an AL pitcher, you don’t allow him to touch a bat. He can then skip tee ball and get his first Tommy John operation before Little League. Fine.

NL pitchers will be culled from Little League shortstops who are clearly the best all around players on their team, whose talent in the batter’s box is gradually lost in college and the minor leagues where DHing is king.

Personally I would eliminate the DH from the AL, but adopting the DH in the NL is far better than the current system, I will concede.

Half the NBA shouldn’t have to play on an ice rink.

Marathon runners shouldn’t have to compete against smart cars at Indy.

How about a cross between golf and whack a mole where the hole is continually moving on the green, or where half the holes are suspended .10 feet off the ground and Tiger Woods Jr. could literally be a chip of the old block.

Disclaimer: This post was written while sober and not in a bowling alley, where the consumption of adult beverages can impact the results of the game. Cheers!

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-11-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I'm not in favor of the DH in the the NL but I believe its inevitable. If they want more offense, then ban the damn shifts.

When I saw the new proposals, the only one that made no sense was giving a draft advantage to winning teams over losing teams, how does that help competitive balance?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe baseball can become football -- one team for batting and another for defense. I don't like the DH, and baseball was and is just fine without it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
This. However, it would workout nicely for the Cubs and Kyle Schwarber.
I am a huge cub fan and love Schwarber’s bat but no DH is my preference. Takes some of the strategy away
Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

While I have deep appreciation and or the history of the game, the DH has to be universal.

Pitchers hit about .115 last season. If I am an owner, the LAST thing I need is my pitcher trying to beat out a throw and pull a hammy, or slide into a base and get injured. For nothing else, I have too much money invested to run that risk.

I don't want my pitcher at the plate swinging away that could tweak something, or have an errant pitch get away and my guy get hit on the elbow, forearm , or hand and bruise or break a bone.

This is just common sense now.

I want my guy to concentrate about mound stuff, and let my hitters hit.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Pitchers could never hit a lick, back then or today

PERIOD

Walter Johnson
Warren Spahn
Don Drysdale
Bob Gibson
Don Larsen
Madison Bumgarner
Shohei Ohtani

Oh I almost forgot

Babe Ruth

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Maybe baseball can become football -- one team for batting and another for defense. I don't like the DH, and baseball was and is just fine without it.
Great idea Peter

Works in basketball too

You have two seven footers on your team.

Put one under your defensive basket - the shot blocker

And the other under your offensive basket - the dunker

Why should those big boys have to run?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Brandon Bailey

This is long over due, I have seen pitcher only start as early as 12u baseball and the next time they bat Would be if they made it to the National League. Dh starts in high school but can be used for any position if your pitcher is such a good hitter just dont use the Dh there is no penalty.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Well, if we standardize the DH, then why not make all the parks universal?

Seem silly center field is 436 at Minute Maid and only 390 at Fenway.

Why does Oakland Coliseum have all the foul ground and Coors field doesn't.

NFL fields are all the same. Why not MLB then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Imagine if you will an NFL where in the NFC only a single extra point was permitted, while in the AFC the two point conversion was allowed.

In games between teams from each conferencre, the rule applicable for the home team would be used for that game.

In the Super Bowl the rules for the team that won the coin flip would be used in the first and fourth quarters and the other rules would be used in the second and third quarter.

Think about it. Is there anyone in their right mind, if such a scheme was adopted, who would not think it was created and approved by an idiot, or a rules committee populated by a majority of idiots.

The whole DH thing hasn’t made sense for forty odd years since it was instituted. If you raise your son to become an AL pitcher, you don’t allow him to touch a bat. He can skip then skip tee ball and get his first Tommy John operation before Little League. Fine.

NL pitchers will be culled from Little League shortstops who are clearly the best all around players on their team, whose talent in the batter’s box is gradually lost in college and the minor leagues where DHing is king.

Personally I would eliminate the DH from the AL, but adopting the DH in the NL is far better than the current system, I will concede.

How about a cross between golf and whack a mole where the hole is continually moving on the green, or where half the holes are suspended .10 feet off the ground and Tiger Woods Jr. could literally be a chip of the old block.

Disclaimer: This post was written while sober and not in a bowling alley, where the consumption of adult beverages can impact the results of the game. Cheers!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Richard Simon

The only proposed rule change that made sense to me was roster size.
26 man roster makes sense now.
In the past, you had 25 man rosters with 10 pitchers. Managers could pinch hit without fear. A strategy was utilized more so than now. With teams now carrying 12/13 pitchers, the benches are very thin.
And limit the Sept. roster to 28, that would make the absurd rule of 3 batter minimum not necessary. With rosters at 28, they could not load up on relief pitchers.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I'm not in favor of the DH in the the NL but I believe its inevitable. If they want more offense, then ban the damn shifts.

When I saw the new proposals, the only one that made no sense was giving a draft advantage to winning teams over losing teams, how does that help competitive balance?
Maybe they should learn to hit to the opposite field instead of bellyaching about it.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Why not keep the DH separate in the regular season but universal in all ballparks in the postseason? As for strategy....what is more difficult. Facing a lineup of 9 professional hitters or facing 8 players, an automatic out all because of pinch hitting and double switches?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Steve White

When I was a kid playing baseball the best athlete was always the pitcher. Then when he didn't pitch he played shortstop. Oh and by the he was almost always the best hitter. Its just like the specialization of all sports. If pitchers hit all the time wouldn't they continue to be good hitters. It doesn't seem to hurt Micheal Lorenzen for the Reds.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:

The whole DH thing hasn’t made sense for forty odd years since it was instituted. If you raise your son to become an AL pitcher, you don’t allow him to touch a bat. He can skip then skip tee ball and get his first Tommy John operation before Little League. Fine.

Frank- I'd pay to see Lebron slam in the crease & Usane Bolt blowing past that 43rd car, but the convergence of Golf and Whack-a-Mole may be your greatest invention to date. Tiger's caddy would have to be...wait for it...Bill Murray.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWhite View Post
When I was a kid playing baseball the best athlete was always the pitcher. Then when he didn't pitch he played shortstop. Oh and by the he was almost always the best hitter. Its just like the specialization of all sports. If pitchers hit all the time wouldn't they continue to be good hitters. It doesn't seem to hurt Micheal Lorenzen for the Reds.
This was alluded to in my post. The best player on a little league team, who is also a future major leaguer, plays both shortstop and pitcher usually because he is the best pitcher, the best hitter and the best fielder on the team. With the DH for 10 years before he hits the bigs, his hitting skills are truncated if he is groomed to pitch.

Conclusion, you would see better hitting pitchers in the majors if the DH was eliminated from the ground up.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Maybe they should learn to hit to the opposite field instead of bellyaching about it.
+1 billion!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Josh Adams

I hope this happens. At least we can all stop pretending to care about the double switch.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Barry Sloate

When the DH first appeared in 1973, the leagues were separate, so while it was odd for each league to have different rules, it at least didn't cause any problems. Now that we have interleague play, the rules are determined by who is the home team. That's ridiculous.

Either have the DH in both leagues, or get rid of it entirely. Doesn't matter to me which one they utimately choose, but having separate rules makes no sense.

And I agree completely about neutralizing the defensive shifts. If a batter keeps hitting into the shift, he is going to see it for the rest of his career. And his production will be greatly diminished. But if he learns to slap the ball the other way and puts together a few 4 for 5 games, watch how quickly they will end. It seems to me that batters who have seen a shift in the past should be taking a little extra batting practice in spring training to learn how to hit to the opposite field.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-10-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
And I agree completely about neutralizing the defensive shifts. If a batter keeps hitting into the shift, he is going to see it for the rest of his career. And his production will be greatly diminished. But if he learns to slap the ball the other way and puts together a few 4 for 5 games, watch how quickly they will end. It seems to me that batters who have seen a shift in the past should be taking a little extra batting practice in spring training to learn how to hit to the opposite field.
It is embarrassing that almost no one tries to beat the shift. My biggest complaint isn't about delays per se, but the lack of any action. Strikeouts are at an all-time high, and stolen bases are nearly forgotten. Get back to basics, and the game would be fine.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
It is embarrassing that almost no one tries to beat the shift. My biggest complaint isn't about delays per se, but the lack of any action. Strikeouts are at an all-time high, and stolen bases are nearly forgotten. Get back to basics, and the game would be fine.
Absolutely. How many times have you seen a lefthanded hitter line a ball into right field, which is normally a single, only to see the second basemen who is playing in short rightfield throw him out as if it were an infield groundout. Yet if the batter took a simple check swing and tapped the ball toward leftfield, he could trot to first base with a single. If I can figure that out, why can't the team figure it out?

Every team in every sport spends countless hours trying to come up with counters to their opponents offensive and defensive switches, yet baseball hasn't figured how to counter the defensive shift. And it isn't even complicated. I find the whole thing baffling.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Both of those have some real potential. Basketball on ice especially.
Or maybe Maxi-golf where you drive through an actual windmill.

Quote:

The senior class picnic/outing in college we had a softball tournament. I was on a team with a bunch of other people nobody cool wanted on their team. 3 inning games. First game I had a perfect game! Second game they put in a rule that the pitcher had to have a beer on the mound at all times, and had to drink after each batter. We won the second game! Third game the pitching control was just gone along with any ability to win. Still had a great time

I like both the DH, and seeing pitchers hit. Especially when the get a hit and seem totally lost on the basepaths.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Well, if we standardize the DH, then why not make all the parks universal?

Seem silly center field is 436 at Minute Maid and only 390 at Fenway.

Why does Oakland Coliseum have all the foul ground and Coors field doesn't.

NFL fields are all the same. Why not MLB then?

Just a bit off center is the deep part of Fenway at 420

They sort of tried building "standard" stadiums in the 70's, and it was dull dull dull.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Just a bit off center is the deep part of Fenway at 420

They sort of tried building "standard" stadiums in the 70's, and it was dull dull dull.
Agreed. Just when people talk about standardizing the rules, shouldn't the dimensions be the same? What if one NFL field was 105 yards and another was 85? The quirkiness of the dimensions, DH rule etc is one of the great things about baseball.

FWIW, I like most of the other rule changes.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The only proposed rule change that made sense to me was roster size.
26 man roster makes sense now.
In the past, you had 25 man rosters with 10 pitchers. Managers could pinch hit without fear. A strategy was utilized more so than now. With teams now carrying 12/13 pitchers, the benches are very thin.
And limit the Sept. roster to 28, that would make the absurd rule of 3 batter minimum not necessary. With rosters at 28, they could not load up on relief pitchers.

25 to 26 seems inconsequential to me. Let’s make it 25 to 46. With an additional 20 arms in the bullpen, more specialization based on analytics would be possible, as well as more commercial breaks for pitching changes.

Warren Whiffle could pitch only in the eighth inning with one out and two runners on base to a right handed 32 year old pitch hitter with a batting average between .276 and .282 with a tendency to swing at sliders off the plate 3 inches above his patella. In fact Warren has never pitched successfully to any batter who did not have this profile, believe or not.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Bill Avery

Quote:
When the DH first appeared in 1973, the leagues were separate, so while it was odd for each league to have different rules, it at least didn't cause any problems. Now that we have interleague play, the rules are determined by who is the home team. That's ridiculous.

Either have the DH in both leagues, or get rid of it entirely. Doesn't matter to me which one they utimately choose, but having separate rules makes no sense.
I say keep the DH the way it is and reduce interleague play back down to the All-Star game and the World Series.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Mike

If both leagues continue to play each other throughout the season then one rule needs to be in place. My vote is for the "Home Team" to have the option to decide before each game if the game will be played with or without the DH that day. This would increase and not decrease strategy in the game. The manager would have to review both rosters( strenghts vs rh and lh pitchers) and decide that day based on his pitcher (Rh vs LH) and the opposing pitcher if he wanted to use the DH that day or not. Many factors involved( bench, your injuries vs the oppsing team injuries etc). If playing a team with a great DH and you know he may not play if you decide not to use the DH that day then that would be a great strategy ( maybe making the opposing manager put (Pujols or Cruz ) on the bench etc. Pujols has an injury, then no DH that day and that would eliminate the opposing teams DH that day. Endless factors and possibilies . More strategy not less. Would be a lot of discussion and second guessing. Sounds fun to me.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 02-11-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default No DH!! Ever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
The Braves might be in favor of the DH:

Pitchers were 23-for-283 - that's a .081 clip, folks.

Foltynewicz, Newcome and Anabel Sanchez:

3/58; 2/45 & 1/42 = 6-for-145 - .041 with 98 Ks

Giving up a ton of ABs!

Your stats above show just how overblown the DH discussion is. Using the Braves stats as your example pitchers hit fewer than 2 times per game. Do we really need to eliminate the primary source of strategy in the game for 2 better at bats?

I’d prefer to eliminate the DH altogether but the Players Union would never allow it.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM

I can't believe the union would be in favor of the DH in the NL. That means one player on every NL team will lose their job. Hard to believe the union would support that. Someone's getting cut to make room and a lot of those players serve no other purpose than to pinch hit or be a defensive replacement.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
One word, three letters: E-G-O. Can you see Bryce Harper giving in to the shift and laying a bunt down the third base line instead of trying to punch one through the right side?? I agree with KCR.

And as far as the union goes, I would imagine that the average salary for a DH is higher than that of the last man off the bench who is used to pinch hit. A lot of the DHs are higher paid veterans who can't field a lick, but can still hit the big fly.

Like it or not (and generally I'm against the DH), the NL is the last holdout in the universe that has not embraced the DH. Any change going forward will be the NL letting go and joining all the other baseball leagues in existence. Not the other way around.

ps. One good thing about the DH at younger levels is that it gets one more kid off the bench and on the field in a game. Yes, their PT is limited, but their name is in the lineup.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
One word, three letters: E-G-O. Can you see Bryce Harper giving in to the shift and laying a bunt down the third base line instead of trying to punch one through the right side?? I agree with KCR.

And as far as the union goes, I would imagine that the average salary for a DH is higher than that of the last man off the bench who is used to pinch hit. A lot of the DHs are higher paid veterans who can't field a lick, but can still hit the big fly.

Like it or not (and generally I'm against the DH), the NL is the last holdout in the universe that has not embraced the DH. Any change going forward will be the NL letting go and joining all the other baseball leagues in existence. Not the other way around.

ps. One good thing about the DH at younger levels is that it gets one more kid off the bench and on the field in a game. Yes, their PT is limited, but their name is in the lineup.

That's assuming a lot. What if the last guy cut is in the bullpen? I don't see the union being in favor of prospective salary over salary that exists. Just seems like they're advocating for someone losing their job. I'm not saying the times don't change, just that it's an unusual thing for the union to support.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Marty H.

The strategy argument is complete BS. 99% of the time, the pinch hitter is a better batter than the pitcher. So if it seems the pitcher is weakening, you pinch hit, and if the pitcher is dominating, he stays in. NO strategy there. And the double-switch, really.

I look at it this way: If a position player is out a few games, clubs send him to the minors to get in a few AB's. If this is the case, all NL starting pitchers should be sent to their minor league clubs to see live pitching on their days off.

The game is too specialized, and watching a pitcher's at bat is one of the worst, and most embarrassing parts of baseball. The only players who truly like this archaic rule are the NL starters themselves. (for easy outs)

LONG LIVE THE DH!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I'm in favor of most of these rules. Pitch clocks? Yes, please. Reducing pitching changes by having a minimum number of batters faced? Yes, please. One rule for DH, even if it's not the one I want? Yes, please. Draft penalties for teams that intentionally tank and don't spend money? Yes, please.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM

I find the minimum batters faced rule counter intuitive to the union's cause too. There are lefty's who make their living pitching to one guy. If you force that guy to pitch to 3 batters, it should be assumed effectiveness will drop and that guy will probably be out of a job.

It also seems silly to me that baseball, a sport without a game clock, would be so concerned with a fictional game clock.

Last edited by packs; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

How about 5 or 6 foul balls and you're out? To a point it makes for good drama with a batter battling a pitcher, but past that point it's just trying to increase pitch counts and the delay is annoying.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM

When I go to a ballgame or watch one on TV, I do not want anything to do with watching a pitch clock -- or even just knowing in my mind that one is ticking. It's just so contrary to the essence of the game, in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
When I go to a ballgame or watch one on TV, I do not want anything to do with watching a pitch clock -- or even just knowing in my mind that one is ticking. It's just so contrary to the essence of the game, in my opinion.
If you watch films of old ballgames, pitchers got the ball back from the catcher, looked in for the sign, and threw the next one. In that context, no clock was needed. But now with seemingly every pitch turned into a mini drama of waiting and waiting and waiting, I believe change is necessary.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Mike

Baseball rules are interesting. It's the pitchers advantage for the first 2 foul balls ( called strikes) and then it's the batters advantage the rest of the way ( 10+) foul balls. Unless you foul a bunt, and then it is a strike 3. Strange.

Speed of game ( time) would be solved if the batter had to stay in the batter's box and not adjust his batting gloves after every pitch. They foul a ball and walk 5-10 feet from the plate. 300 pitches a game ( save 3 sec ea) that's 900 sec. or 15 minutes and I think most would be happy with a 2hr-45min game.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Baseball rules are interesting. It's the pitchers advantage for the first 2 foul balls ( called strikes) and then it's the batters advantage the rest of the way ( 10+) foul balls. Unless you foul a bunt, and then it is a strike 3. Strange.

Speed of game ( time) would be solved if the batter had to stay in the batter's box and not adjust his batting gloves after every pitch. They foul a ball and walk 5-10 feet from the plate. 300 pitches a game ( save 3 sec ea) that's 900 sec. or 15 minutes and I think most would be happy with a 2hr-45min game.
Pitchers are just as guilty. In between pitches they walk around, meditate, and check their email,

Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Ok, my two cents. Only mine.

I have not watched a game in two years. I do check the scores and the standings.
The game is losing me.
No breakup play a second base. No crashing into to home as the ball gets there.
It is changing and not for me.
The DH is cheap. Since Ron Bloomberg, no pitcher in the AL had to bat (regular season) after plunking a batter or pitching him tight. That is gone in the AL and apparently, in the NL soon. It also removes the sac bunt from the pitcher and a variety of things.
Changed the DL list to a Inactive List is just PC move. Ridiculous, whatever.

I guess next is pinch runner where they stand by home plate until the ball is hit, then run. Check instant replay to see if he left the circle before the ball was hit by the batter.

MLB is losing me. But that is just me.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

There is little more fundamental in baseball than the expectation that a player both bats and fields. This is not football. The AL has had the DH for nearly 4 decades. I see no evidence that AL games are better than NL games. Bag it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-11-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Pitch clocks could speed up the game.

A reduction of pitching changes could speed up the game.

Everybody would like to reduce the time it takes to play a game.

But what about the poor advertisers.

Simple, the players can imitate their NFL counterparts and feign injuries to create the requisite number of commercial breaks.

Whoops, I guess game times will not be shorter after all.

I would also like to second my own vote to eliminate the DH at all levels.

Pitchers will be better hitters if they are allowed to hit at all levels.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

If I were a GM, I do not want my pitcher swinging a bat and running the bases. I am paying him handsomely to pitch, not bat.

I don't want him risking an errant slide, or twisting an ankle hitting the base wrong, getting hit on the elbow or forearm or hand by a pitch that got away.

The risk is too great for injury. I want to protect my guy.

And Mad Bum ( regard as a good hitting pitcher ) does not help his team at the plate, nor is he a good batter. He hits less than .200 career. I don't want him to be a good batter or need for him to be a good batter. I want him working on pitching. I need for him to be an ace on the mound. Which he is. As a reminder, his arm won the 2014 WS, not his bat prowess.