NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default RIP Frank Robinson

Passed not too long ago most underrated player.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 02-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Derek Granger

sad news...RIP Mr. Robinson!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Kyle May

RIP.

Being an Indians fan, I know they will do well and have a season-long memorial for him.

I'd imagine the Reds, Angels, Dodgers, and Orioles will all do the same - especially the former & latter.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Al Richter

Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
David M.

Here's a Nabisco card of Frank. RIP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1994 Nabisco Frank Robinson.jpg (78.0 KB, 433 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
RIP.

Being an Indians fan, I know they will do well and have a season-long memorial for him.

I'd imagine the Reds, Angels, Dodgers, and Orioles will all do the same - especially the former & latter.
Expos would too if they had a team. He was well loved in Montreal.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

He was overshadowed by Mays, Mantle, and then Aaron, but what a great baseball player. Imagine, traded for Milt Pappas.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM
Doug Goodman

In late 1981 or 1982, I was standing (hunched over my treasure, really) in the rain outside the players parking lot at Candlestick after a rained out Giants game when he drove past me, then stopped and backed up.

He rolled down his window and asked "What are you doing standing there?"

"I was hoping I could get you to sign this baseball" I told him, as I reached it into his car to avoid the wet, and pointed out that it already had Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and a few other HR hitters of note.

"This is a nice ball", he said "what if I just drive away with it?" he chuckled.

"Please don't" I said, as the rain came down a bit harder.

He smiled as he found a good spot on the ball, signed a beautiful signature, carefully handed it back to me avoiding the rain, and said "thank you, now get out of the rain".

"Thank you!", I said and headed to my car to make the 93 mile drive home.

Thank you again, Mr. Robinson.

Doug
Old 02-07-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
In late 1981 or 1982, I was standing (hunched over my treasure, really) in the rain outside the players parking lot at Candlestick after a rained out Giants game when he drove past me, then stopped and backed up.

"I was hoping I could get you to sign this baseball" I told him, as I reached it into his car to avoid the wet, and pointed out that it already had Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and a few other HR hitters of note.

"This is a nice ball", he said "what if I just drive away with it?" he chuckled.

He smiled as he found a good spot on the ball, signed a beautiful signature, carefully handed it back to me avoiding the rain, and said "thank you, now get out of the rain".

Doug
That is a great story!! RIP Mr. Robinson

Troy
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Alan Strout

Default RIP Frank Robinson

It seems regularly now, we lose one of my boyhood heroes. RIP Frank. Thanks for all the memories. Greatest trade in O's history. At the time, my mom asked me if Frank and Brooks were brothers. I guess in a way they were, the heart of the Orioles family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1994 Frank Robinson (Sports Icon Bronze Bust).jpg (31.7 KB, 339 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Barry Sloate

His 1966 season was one of the most memorable of all time. Has a player ever had a better season in the first year after being traded?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Bob Andrews

frankbanner.jpg

frankauto.jpg

In 1969 or 70 I went with a buddy, also an Oriole fan, to see the O's play at Yankee Stadium on a mid-week afternoon. We'd decided that we'd make a couple of banners to support our club. We set to work dividing an old bed sheet and, with orange paint and a marker, we each created a work of art. His was the number '5' for Brooks Robinson. Mine was a '20' in orange with 'RF' added on.
We missed the Orioles' batting practice session but we hung out near the third base dugout in hopes the players would see our signs when they warmed up. Then a batboy approached me and asked if I would like him to take my banner to Frank in the clubhouse and show it to him. I said 'Sure' and handed it to him not knowing if I'd see it again. Moments later here comes my banner up the dugout steps being carried by Frank Robinson himself. He asked whose it was and brought it over to me and thanked me for bringing it. He asked for my pen and signed it right in the middle on the '0'. 42 years later I still have it. It's discolored and been stained a bit along the way, the orange color had darkened to a pinkish red and the autograph has faded some. But that banner still means more to me than any piece of memorabilia I own.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
... Moments later here comes my banner up the dugout steps being carried by Frank Robinson himself. He asked whose it was and brought it over to me and thanked me for bringing it. He asked for my pen and signed it right in the middle on the '0'. 42 years later I still have it. It's discolored and been stained a bit along the way, the orange color had darkened to a pinkish red and the autograph has faded some. But that banner still means more to me than any piece of memorabilia I own.
That is fantastic!

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-07-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Chris Counts

That is a truly epic story Bob.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Doug
Great story Doug!

RIP F Robby
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Robert

RIP Mr Frank Robinson!!! Great ball player (very underrated) and a United States Marine!!! God bless you brother and may your family have peace. Till Valhalla brother!!!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 02-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Just yesterday, I was thinking how overlooked Frank was...even now...

I picked up a nice looking modern card - in a Topps subset titled 'Greatest Seasons'.

The front of the card shows something I'm always attracted to: A picture of Yaz at bat in '67.

I was so very disappointed when I read the back (another inept editor!).

Only off by 44 YEARS!!!

Still, the ONLY player to win MVP in BOTH Leagues!!!

Thanks Frank

67 YAZ A.jpg67 YAZ B.jpg

2001 Topps Team Legends- FRANK ROBINSON Auto.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
His 1966 season was one of the most memorable of all time. Has a player ever had a better season in the first year after being traded?
ARod? Actually no it was his second NY season that was great.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-07-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Chris Counts

The Field of Dreams team in Heaven made a big acquisition today. Frank was always one of my heroes growing up, even though he was long gone from my beloved Redlegs by the time I discovered the game. I collect color images from old Sport and Sports Illustrated magazines, and here are a few of my favorites of Frank. The newspaper collage comes from the Cincinnati Enquirer. RIP Frank — you will be remembered as long as the game is played.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spmag56reds.jpg (74.8 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 56redlegsmag.jpg (51.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg spmagfrobinson.jpg (38.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg si58redlegs.jpg (34.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Just yesterday, I was thinking how overlooked Frank was...even now...

I picked up a nice looking modern card - in a Topps subset titled 'Greatest Seasons'.

The front of the card shows something I'm always attracted to: A picture of Yaz at bat in '67.

I was so very disappointed when I read the back (another inept editor!).

Only off by 44 YEARS!!!

Still, the ONLY player to win MVP in BOTH Leagues!!!

Thanks Frank

Attachment 343651Attachment 343652

Attachment 343653

Actually, that statement is technically correct, as it was 45 years later that Miguel Cabrera won the triple crown in 2012.

If you consider the 45-year span from 1967-2011 (inclusive), Yaz was the only triple crown winner.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Bob Andrews

Beautiful pics, Chris. Thanks for sharing them.

I have a few Sport pics of Frank from his Orioles days. I need to scan them for this thread.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
ARod? Actually no it was his second NY season that was great.
Robinson won the Triple Crown, MVP, and a World Series ring. That's a unique achievement.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
It seems regularly now, we lose one of my boyhood heroes. RIP Frank. Thanks for all the memories. Greatest trade in O's history. At the time, my mom asked me if Frank and Brooks were brothers. I guess in a way they were, the heart of the Orioles family.
http://dougwilsonbaseball.blogspot.c...and-frank.html

Outstanding piece on how Frank and Brooks, two very contrasting men not just racially, forged a friendship. America in 1966 was not exactly past its racial problems, and by all accounts the very cohesive Oriole clubhouse was probably an important factor in their success.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Frank Robinson

Very sad day... Frank was one of my favorite players growing up.

I was nervous the first time I met Frank since I heard the stories that he could be difficult at times. I brought a 16X20 B&W picture of him in mid swing. When I took the picture out of the box to give him to sign he said, “Wow! Where did you get that picture? I’ve never seen that shot of me before.” I told him and asked if he’d like to keep it and he said, “No, just display that picture in a predomenent location; that’s just a great picture.” He said, “I hope I don’t ruin it with my autograph.“. He just kept on talking and Boog was kidding him about taking so long. He said something like, who do you think you are, Brooks! Good times!

Bob - love hearing about your positive experience. That would be a great memory to cherish.

R.I.P Frank; you were a great one...
Old 02-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Truly a great one who will be sorely missed.

Barry, I think Mantle also won the Triple Crown, MVP and WS ring in a single year (1956).
Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Very underappreciated playing career, as others have said. And tremendous contributions to the game post playing career. RIP
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Actually, that statement is technically correct, as it was 45 years later that Miguel Cabrera won the triple crown in 2012.

If you consider the 45-year span from 1967-2011 (inclusive), Yaz was the only triple crown winner.

Steve

You're right, of course...and I complain about the editors....

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Val Kehl

Franks Robinson managed the Nationals for their first 2 seasons in Washington, DC, and even had them in first place at mid season. I know you will enjoy this read by a Wash. Post columnist who says in this read: "The first time I met Robinson was in December 2004 at baseball’s winter meetings, held that year in Anaheim, Calif. We stood in a hallway, and I was nervous, the new beat writer with no baseball experience somehow tasked with covering Washington’s new major league team — a team that had a Hall of Famer at the helm."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c3091c54064e
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Mikeknapp

Below are my favorite quote and story written about Frank Robinson today. I love the Boswell quote as it sums him up perfectly. Somehow I was unaware that Frank Robinson and Bill Russell were high school teammates in basketball. That must have been one hell of an intense intimidating team.

Frank Robinson didn’t just crowd the plate; he crowded life. (Tom Boswell)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.16ff60a59c77
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1956_Frank_Robinson_Rookie.jpg (73.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Frank Robinson.jpg (64.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Type_I_1958 Frank Robinson.jpg (61.5 KB, 126 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott6649 View Post

I was JUST looking at his stats and wondering why he did not
have a 76 and 77 card. These are great!

Question to All:

Why is he constantly being referred to as an underrated player?
I did not get to see him play but I always saw him as a top dog
among the greats. Growing up, if I said Frank Robinson, my father
would ALWAYS mention "Triple Crown" and "MVP in both leagues".
I think that says it all, no?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:07 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Truly a great one who will be sorely missed.

Barry, I think Mantle also won the Triple Crown, MVP and WS ring in a single year (1956).
He did Paul, but my point was that Robinson did it in his first year after being traded, making it one of the most lopsided trades in baseball history. Poor Milt Pappas, a fine pitcher but unfortunately on the wrong side of that trade.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Fred

very sad news RIP. he'll be missed great for the game

Let's go O's
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
I was JUST looking at his stats and wondering why he did not
have a 76 and 77 card. These are great!

Question to All:

Why is he constantly being referred to as an underrated player?
I did not get to see him play but I always saw him as a top dog
among the greats. Growing up, if I said Frank Robinson, my father
would ALWAYS mention "Triple Crown" and "MVP in both leagues".
I think that says it all, no?
Look at the prices of his cards (other than RC and low pop 62) compared to Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Clemente and you'll see the evidence for underrated.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Franks Robinson managed the Nationals for their first 2 seasons in Washington, DC, and even had them in first place at mid season. I know you will enjoy this read by a Wash. Post columnist who says in this read: "The first time I met Robinson was in December 2004 at baseball’s winter meetings, held that year in Anaheim, Calif. We stood in a hallway, and I was nervous, the new beat writer with no baseball experience somehow tasked with covering Washington’s new major league team — a team that had a Hall of Famer at the helm."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c3091c54064e
Good piece. He uses a great phrase at the end -- "the history of the game can't be told without him."

Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Frank had an amazing career and a great series in 66.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
http://dougwilsonbaseball.blogspot.c...and-frank.html

Outstanding piece on how Frank and Brooks, two very contrasting men not just racially, forged a friendship. America in 1966 was not exactly past its racial problems, and by all accounts the very cohesive Oriole clubhouse was probably an important factor in their success.
The two are forever linked when I think about either. What great players but Frank was truly special.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-09-2019, 02:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
The two are forever linked when I think about either. What great players but Frank was truly special.

Great pictures and autographed to boot. Thanks for sharing these two shots. Sad days for us O’s fans.