NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM

"Please sir, may I have another?"
Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

I buy most of my baseball tickets through 3rd parties, and they rarely mention 'obstructed view'. Because of this, I now go to the Mariners site and check to see if they are obstructed. I'm sure plenty of people get burned buying these tickets to Yankees games.

But the real point, regardless of how much fun the young drunks who for the most part aren't there for a game, have in the pick-up section, is that baseball fields were made to play and watch baseball. Stadiums are often judged by how well they are built to actually allow viewing of the game. In New York I guess they are judged by how good the restaurants are, and how successful the party section is.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I never understood why having an upscale place to eat at a ballpark mattered. I go to games to watch the game. If I want to go someplace upscale to eat, there are a multitude of fantastic restaurants available, especially in NY, where I can go out to dinner. It would be like going to a Broadway play and saying you had a great time at the show because they have great restaurants in the theater with closed circuit TVs so you could watch the play while you eat. Normally, I go to dinner before the show, but maybe that's just me.

Several years ago, I went to a couple of the newer, old style parks when they first opened, like PNC. I thought the ambiance and the views were great, but even then, I wondered what the deal with all the fancy/expensive food was. Half of it can't be eaten easily while in a stadium seat and if I am sitting at a table, I'm not watching/experiencing the game. Please don't tell me that while I eat, I can watch the monitors. Why would I go to a game to watch it on TV? If that's what I wanted, I could have watched on my 106in High Def projection TV at home without paying for a ticket, parking, gas, tolls, and the exorbitant prices of the food.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Mark, here's another example. Back in 1997 I saw Buddy Guy play at the Chicago Blues Festival. The crowd energy was incredible, as was Buddy Guy's. I have seen him several times, but never like that afternoon in Chicago. But one performance stands out for its mediocrity - I saw him at Chastain Park in Atlanta a few years later. The place is set up for people to drink wine and eat picnics, and you can buy passes for multiple, or all, shows. There is always a point in his show where he does a medley of partial songs made famous by great guitarists - Clapton, Hendrix, etc. When he got to that point, the guys in front of me all commented on how they didn't realize that Buddy Guy had written all of those songs. I would say 75 - 90% of the crowd was there to picnic, and you could have had me singing Karaoke and they wouldn't have known the difference. At one point, Buddy Guy stopped playing and told everyone to shut up so he could play music. I really felt sorry for him having to endure that, but I'm seeing now that he plays at the wineries near Seattle, so I guess he's dealing with it ($$$ speak).

The modern ballpark experience, especially the version that John (the big Yankees fan) described, is basically baseball's version of Chastain Park, and the Chastain Park model for concerts is now practiced all over the United States. If you to to a Mariners game, you have the same thing where people get in on a cheap ticket, and spend their time in the socializing section in the outfield, basically trying to get lucky.

Fortunately you can still have a good baseball experience at any stadium, and John has found his way to do that at Yankee stadium. I'm sorry he doesn't understand what he's missing at the new stadium, but as long as he's having fun, I guess all is well.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:38 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Scott,
i couldn't agree more. The events have become secondary at many venues. Seems like the events are just a reason for young people to party and drink.
Mark

Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Yeah, I hate to see it happening, but it fits in with everything else in today's society.

But it seems really odd to see Jonathan waxing poetic about such a poor semblance of the past, as if he's offended by David's opinion, when David was there for the real thing. Responding to him in such a fashion seems completely ludicrous.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I never understood why having an upscale place to eat at a ballpark mattered. I go to games to watch the game. If I want to go someplace upscale to eat, there are a multitude of fantastic restaurants available, especially in NY, where I can go out to dinner.
The Yankees don't want you to go to any of a multitude of fantastic restaurants, Mark, if those restaurants are outside the stadium They want you to spend every single cent on them, inside the stadium. That's what this stadium was designed to do. Its primary purpose was never for a fan to view a ballgame.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The Yankees don't want you to go to any of a multitude of fantastic restaurants, Mark, if those restaurants are outside the stadium They want you to spend every single cent on them, inside the stadium. That's what this stadium was designed to do. Its primary purpose was never for a fan to view a ballgame.
I know what you're saying. It is so true.
Soak them for as much as you can while they are your captive audience.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Jonathan Sterling

First not offended by anyone's opinion just pointing out facts about the bleacher section in the new stadium. I am 53 been to all three Yankee Stadiums, first game in 1967. Went to Shea when the Yankees played there during renovations. It seems odd that on a board for people that collect Baseball memorabilia so many do not like going to games.
And all this talk about young people who just go to games to Drink and socialize?? You admit that you do not go but think it's ok to judge and put down the fans who go out and support their team. My kids are in their late 20's and I am happy to say enjoy themselves at a game and as a Father sitting at a game talking Baseball with my kids is a gift I am fortunate to enjoy.
Sorry if I am one of the minority who seems to choose the four letter word Love when I describe my experience going to games.
If your only experience seeing Buddy Guy was the bad one think about all you would have missed if you just stayed home and complained on the internet instead of going to those other 6 shows. Get up off your couch and get out to a game it will improve your life.

Jonathan
Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
You admit that you do not go but think it's ok to judge and put down the fans who go out and support their team. My kids are in their late 20's and I am happy to say enjoy themselves at a game and as a Father sitting at a game talking Baseball with my kids is a gift I am fortunate to enjoy.
Sorry if I am one of the minority who seems to choose the four letter word Love when I describe my experience going to games.
If your only experience seeing Buddy Guy was the bad one think about all you would have missed if you just stayed home and complained on the internet instead of going to those other 6 shows. Get up off your couch and get out to a game it will improve your life.

Jonathan
Really? I admitted that I do not go to games ?!? I wasn't pulling these observations out of my butt.

I think I'll leave you and your straw man to argue with yourselves. I have tickets to two of the final three games this year, but if I were a Yankees fan I probably would be home sitting on my couch that weekend - watching anything but baseball.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-14-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

There are going to be far more fans at the Yankees final game than at Seattle's. In fact Far more fans watching that game than have ever watched a Seattle regular season game. Big baseball fan that you are guess you missed that it is Derek Jeter's Final home game.
I have visited your ballpark and it was the nicest Starbuck's I was ever at. And two major league teams played a game which is why we were there and we enjoyed ourselves.
When I was 8 and Mickey was past his prime I sat silently in awe when he came up to the plate. He did not have a great game went one for four (My Dad taught me how to keep score) and some fans complained he was done. What I took away were some very happy memories and I continue to collect those happy memories at Yankee Stadium. Not the perfect Stadium but that is where my favorite team plays so I can complain or make the best of it. Find it much easier to make the best of it.
Jonathan
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
When I was 8 and Mickey was past his prime I sat silently in awe when he came up to the plate.
Good for you, Jonathan.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 PM

N/T.

Last edited by packs; 09-15-2014 at 12:13 PM.