NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Default 50's Press Photo - looking for some guidance / opinions

Hey guys,

Mostly a BST and reader member here. I recently took a bit of a chance on a minor league photo of Roy Campanella. I thought I had overpaid until I held it to a light source and noticed that paint/marker had been used to blot out his uniform and cap.

Plain as day the Nashua team logo on the jersey and cap show through. This had me very excited and at the surface it would appear I may be able to remove the paint/marker from the photo. I do not know a lot about photos but have always wanted an early and unique Campanella.

The photo paper is glossy and is definitely of the period. Would I be able to use a solvent or is there something anyone would recommend in my attempt to remove the paint/marker from the photo?

Lastly and more selfishly, how does one determine if this is a type 1 photo? I've attached scans and would value any opinion.

Thanks,
-jake

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by bigjaco; 12-15-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Chris Wassmuth

My offer still stands. Such a cool photo.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Based on your scans, it does appear to be a Type 1 original photo from the period, and if you were inclined to submit it to PSA for certification, I believe they would reach the same conclusion.

As for how best to remove the editor's paint-over job, it seems the jury's still out on that one. Some solvent-based methods have been discussed in other threads, but my understanding is that those have now been said to possibly have negative long-term effects on the photo. Apparently in some cases, just using warm distilled water applied in controlled amounts with a q-tip can be effective in removing the white touch-up paint (assuming it is water-soluble).

Others may chime in with more ideas, but by all means, keep us up to date and show off that beauty when you're finished cleaning it up!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

I think the ink is relatively minor and you could leave if you wish. Sometimes the markings are major and ugly, then I can understand someone wishing to remove it.

But you can't do what you wish.

Last edited by drc; 12-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I think the ink is relatively minor and you could leave if you wish. Sometimes the markings are major and ugly, then I can understand someone wishing to remove it.

I think the reason he wants to remove it is because of the rarity of what's underneath. Campy only played at Nashua for one season and I don't know of a single picture in which he appears in that uniform. It would be a significant find for us Campy collectors if it can be cleaned up. Yes, it could be left as is. But it would so much cooler if it was removed.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Cwazzy is correct. The Nashua written across the jersey is what would really make this an appealing piece. Under a light it's clear as day.

Doing some research (including that mighty search button here) it looks like distilled water then PEC-12 is in my future. I was curious if other have any cautions or best tips in using either of these methods. Even if repeated from other threads I appreciate the perspective.

Thanks,
-jake
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Hi Jake,
Most editor's ink on photos is quite easy to remove because it is water soluble. It is as simple as dampening a paper towel with regular tap water. Rub the ink lightly and the ink becomes fluid and adheres to the paper towel. Just remember to keep using a clean spot on the paper towel otherwise the ink smears. Often the area where the ink was is a bit off color compared to the surrounding area. This is because the water in the ink penetrated the photo surface and changed its composition a bit.

Few tips:

Don't oversaturate the paper towel or drip water on a spot on the photo were there isn't ink. The water may raise the surface of the photo in the shape of the drip. It'll look like a bump.

If the surface of the photo starts coming off as you rub, then stop; you may be rubbing too hard or maybe the photo's surface is of poor quality. Usually you don't see this problem with glossy photos.

When you removed the ink, dry the photo flat. A wet photo left to dry on its own will curl up at the edges. I put wet photos between two sheets of regular computer paper and then put between the pages of a larger book. The paper soaks up most of the remaining water and also keeps the ink of the book's pages from seeping onto the photo.

When you photo is restored back to its original state before the ink, take a step back and enjoy it...take pleasure in your job well done.

Don't be nervous, I do it all the time.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:49 PM

For the record I said "Do as you wish." I ain't bossing nobody.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
For the record I said "Do as you wish." I ain't bossing nobody.
No one said you were.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Hi Jake,
Most editor's ink on photos is quite easy to remove because it is water soluble. It is as simple as dampening a paper towel with regular tap water. Rub the ink lightly and the ink becomes fluid and adheres to the paper towel. Just remember to keep using a clean spot on the paper towel otherwise the ink smears. Often the area where the ink was is a bit off color compared to the surrounding area. This is because the water in the ink penetrated the photo surface and changed its composition a bit.

Few tips:

Don't oversaturate the paper towel or drip water on a spot on the photo were there isn't ink. The water may raise the surface of the photo in the shape of the drip. It'll look like a bump.

If the surface of the photo starts coming off as you rub, then stop; you may be rubbing too hard or maybe the photo's surface is of poor quality. Usually you don't see this problem with glossy photos.

When you removed the ink, dry the photo flat. A wet photo left to dry on its own will curl up at the edges. I put wet photos between two sheets of regular computer paper and then put between the pages of a larger book. The paper soaks up most of the remaining water and also keeps the ink of the book's pages from seeping onto the photo.

When you photo is restored back to its original state before the ink, take a step back and enjoy it...take pleasure in your job well done.

Don't be nervous, I do it all the time.
holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. That worked. I have it drying with the computer paper now. I'm assuming it will dry ok as the rest of your directions was spot on. It looks magnificent now. I will post scans!!!

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaco View Post
holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. That worked. I have it drying with the computer paper now. I'm assuming it will dry ok as the rest of your directions was spot on. It looks magnificent now. I will post scans!!!

Glad to see it worked and I am looking forward to seeing the restored image.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Glad to see it worked and I am looking forward to seeing the restored image.
Me too.. Awesome info to share!!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Default all fixed!

A little bit of spidering on his cap. Likely the result of age, but otherwise couldn't be happier!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Looking a bit closer, I do have some smudges. I will try to touch those up but I got seriously excited once I started to see the original below!

Talk about a treasure. I had originally opened it up thinking I was disappointed. Absolutely thrilled now.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
A little bit of spidering on his cap. Likely the result of age, but otherwise couldn't be happier!

Sweet! Congrats, great photo of Campy!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Mike

Quote:
Looking a bit closer, I do have some smudges. I will try to touch those up but I got seriously excited once I started to see the original below!

Talk about a treasure. I had originally opened it up thinking I was disappointed. Absolutely thrilled now.
Campy's left shoulder is discolored compared to the spot you cleaned. 60 years of airborne grime has left its mark. Let's also not forget that workplaces were certainly not "smoke-free" back in that day. I would assume there to be tar and nicotine over the exposed portion of the photo as well. I wonder if there is any way to clean a part of it and be happy. My guess would be that once you start you will wind up cleaning the entire photo. There is no "patina premium" to concern yourself with, is there?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Chris Wassmuth

Awesome! It turned out GREAT! My offer still stands. LOL
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:

WOW.. what a beautiful photo. You did very well. Let me know if you ever get tired of it...

Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Nice job, and an even nicer photo. Good snag, and kudos on the clean-up!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
WOW.. what a beautiful photo. You did very well. Let me know if you ever get tired of it...
Sorry, Ben. I've already claimed it when the time comes. LOL
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazzy View Post
Sorry, Ben. I've already claimed it when the time comes. LOL
Whatever Chris said plus 20 points Sad thing is I saw this on ebay for the longest time.. caught my eye but just didn't look close enough. What a pickup and what a price! Wonderful photo..truly.

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Whatever Chris said plus 20 points Sad thing is I saw this on ebay for the longest time.. caught my eye but just didn't look close enough. What a pickup and what a price! Wonderful photo..truly.
I have been watching this for months and decided to throw an offer. Thanks for the support and help on clean-up tips. I believe this will be a center piece for me for some time to come.