NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Bustin Babe's Barnstorming Poster

Ok I've got a few questions/comments about this poster. The description says it's from 1927. All the research I can uncover says on Oct. 26 1927 Ruth and Gehrig were in San Jose CA barnstorming, NOT Flint Michigan. I can't find that they were EVER in Flint. Anyone know anything different??

IF and only IF(did I mention IF) this piece is authentic how could it be from 1927??? I know there are a ton of repos out there. Was this a fantasy piece?

This is being sold as "rare and from this 1927 tour". So I emailed the seller and asked how they knew it was authentic. They replied, "the paper dates to the time period and something like this wouldn't have been illegally reproduced at the time." So I responded with, "so the paper's been tested?" and haven't heard a word back.

Thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK:MESINDXX:IT

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 02-15-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
FredYoung

Looks artifically aged & a poor fake to me. This Seller has a world of stuff but some rough FBack also---Don't believe I'd be buyin'!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

So even given the age, would you expect it to not have the yellowish tint??
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
FredYoung

I'm not a poster collector, just going on my gut impression at 1st look. Seems to me alot of fakes have that god-awful orangish aged look.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Jim Murphy

The photo on the poster is a well documented photo. Look it up and see what the date of the photo is and it may well tell you the posters date is not what it says
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Fake

Repro all the way.....
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

So is it just one thing or a combination of things that scream fake? What exactly is it? I'm trying to educate myself as much as possibe so I really appreciate any input.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

I am not an expert by any means but I ask myself a simple question; statistically how likely is it that a cardbpoard or paper item has survived intact for 80 or so years?

What I mean by this is the following. A sign or poster this size was most likely meant to be nailed to a telephone or electric pole, pasted on the side of a building or wall or taped to a store window. This means MOST of them would have been destroyed by the weather or damaged in some other way. Then there is the paper drives of WW II. A baseball card would be easy to store but something large like this poster would take up more space thus a Mother would be mroe tempted to donate it to a paper drive.

Finally, the subject matter. Why is it always big or well known names that survive? Why is it that these things show up on eBay instead of a major auction?

Go look at ACOFIND, fourducks, style_quest and myjunk66. These sellers on eBay ALWAYS have some type of big name poster or sign for sale (Winchester, Remington, Harley Davidson, Indian, Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc). It is funny how they have a constant stream of large paper or cardboard items of various subjects, that are at least 50 years old and in similiar condition. Then, when you do an internet search on that particular item, you see they have been reproduced or they are a fantasy piece.

David
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Rick P

"Fast and cheap" was the general rule for production of outdoor signs. That usually mean using stock design signs, where the images and hype were done by the tour organizer. The local printer would add the location, date and ticket information in a blank space specifically left for that information. In this case, the entire design is customized to Flint...that would be a red flag.

The tour dates couldn't be finalized until the World Series ended. The tour started on the 10th. In Flint, the goal would have been to get the signs up as fast as possible to alert the locals. The photo of the pair in their special uniforms was obviously not taken in a studio ahead of the tour; it was taken after it began. That raises two issues: (1) why wait for photos and (2) why select a photo with a third person pictured? Doesn't make sense.

Finally, if a sign is weatherbeaten, it isn't likely to have neat pinholes in the corners. Signs were usually nailed up to survive the elements, and when removed the holes would be far more ragged than pinholes. Rips and tears would be more typical in exposed posters like this.

Another of those "too good to be true" situations.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Poor Flint. First it's home to the Joe Doyle counterfeiter, then the Frankenpennant forger, and now this.

At least everything else is going well there.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacgreg View Post
Poor Flint. First it's home to the Joe Doyle counterfeiter, then the Frankenpennant forger, and now this.

At least everything else is going well there.
I almost spit out my gum I laughed so hard......Thanks for it LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
I almost spit out my gum I laughed so hard......Thanks for it LOL
bottom line it is fake. I emailed the guy stating that and to my amazement i got no response. shocking.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Barnstorming game in Flint, Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Ok I've got a few questions/comments about this poster. The description says it's from 1927. All the research I can uncover says on Oct. 26 1927 Ruth and Gehrig were in San Jose CA barnstorming, NOT Flint Michigan. I can't find that they were EVER in Flint. Anyone know anything different??

IF and only IF(did I mention IF) this piece is authentic how could it be from 1927??? I know there are a ton of repos out there. Was this a fantasy piece?

This is being sold as "rare and from this 1927 tour". So I emailed the seller and asked how they knew it was authentic. They replied, "the paper dates to the time period and something like this wouldn't have been illegally reproduced at the time." So I responded with, "so the paper's been tested?" and haven't heard a word back.

Thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK:MESINDXX:IT

Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig Barnstorming game in Flint, Michigan.

The game was played October 26, 1928 at the old Athletic Park in Flint, Michigan.

There is a promotional poster that was on display at the old Yankee Stadium that is now on display at the New Yankee Stadium.

The link below is for that poster from my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

It promotes the game that WAS IN FLINT!

Tom Skinner
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a neat poster. Thanks for posting about it Tom and welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Max Weder

Tom: great photos of Flint sports in your Facebook album

Last edited by baseballart; 09-12-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's a neat poster............!!
Agreed
Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I need to blacklight mine! Ive always assumed it was a repo and bought it as such but never checked it. Im having trouble posting larger pics from my phone right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-09-13-10-27-22-1.jpg (10.7 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 09-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Facebook pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Tom: great photos of Flint sports in your Facebook album
Thank you Max. I will be searching for more to add.

Skins
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Agreed

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Babe Ruth - Lou Gehrig Barnstorming stop in Flint, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's a neat poster. Thanks for posting about it Tom and welcome to the forum!!
Thank you Leon. I will be searching for more to add.

Skins
Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Maybe Im missing something here but mine doesnt appear to shine bright white like the modern white foam backing. This is behind the glass frame because some areas of the poster are stuck to the glass. The area overhanging the bright foam board is shown however, and doesnt glow like the foam. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140914_153945.jpg (74.6 KB, 60 views)