NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Bad, fake, and/or misidentified photos for sale-beware

I thought I would start this thread so people can:

A) BE EDUCATED
B) NOT GET SCREWED

Below are a couple photos that are NOT TYPE 1 PHOTOS. They actually, are very far from it. Not only are they misidentified, but I also believe them to be fakes.

I cannot stand people passing on bad items which is certainly the case here. I have seen both of these pop up before.

DO NOT buy a photo that is listed as a TYPE 1 photo unless the seller guarantees it to pass PSA, It is PSA authenticated already OR YOU ARE EDUCATED ENOUGH TO MAKE YOUR OWN JUDGMENT[OR JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CLASSIFICATION]

I am so sick of POOP being passed of as GOLD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-192...item3cd720d71f

THIS IS A BAIN IMAGE. NO WAY THIS IS A TYPE 1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-Babe-Ru...item19d182b593

ALSO NOT A TYPE 1. I WOULDN'T PAY 5 DOLLARS FOR THIS...FAKE.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Jeff

But Ben they're third party authenticated?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
But Ben they're third party authenticated?
Some 3rd party educated opinions are better than others.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Default ??

Ben, why do you say the Bain Ruth is not a Type 1?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Ben is completely right on this one. I have had similar photos in my possession in the past. They look good in scans but you'll be very disappointed once you get these in hand, trust me.

Last edited by Augy44; 10-15-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: As per rules...Sorry Leon
Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy44 View Post
Be on the lookout for Beckett encapsulated photos. Early on before I was a member here on Net54, I acquired a supposed Babe Ruth Type 1 photo slabbed in the BGS Authentic case. Beckett's authentication process is a JOKE and they do not have employees with proper credentials to be giving their opinions on original photos. The photo I used to have also claimed it was "From the Estate of Dick Hoblitzell" which is just ridiculous when the photo is a 100% fake. Someone is definitely submitting a great story to the people over at Beckett to for one, write that kind of provenance on the label, and two Authenticating these piece of sh*t fake photos. Yes, it was my fault to have acquired the photo in the first place but I was new to the game and unfortunately learned the hard way. I even brought it to the attention of the people in charge over at Beckett and they obviously haven't done much about it because their bad photos still seam to be floating around out there. I'll never buy a Beckett slabbed photo again unless I'm 100% sure it's authentic and Ben is completely right on these two photos.
It's ok to speak your mind but. per the rules, you will need to have your full name in your post. You can put periods or hyphens in it to make it unsearchable, if you want to...or edit out your comments (and I will edit this quote out if you do). At the top of every page, next to the Net54baseball, blue logo, is a main forum rule, it says if you give an opinion blah, blah, blah your name has to be in your post..thanks

Last edited by Leon; 10-15-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Ethan

Default Type 1 photos...

This is good advice. Especially as photos become more and more appealing to those that have traditionally only been card collectors.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy44 View Post
Be on the lookout for Beckett encapsulated photos. Early on before I was a member here on Net54, I acquired a supposed Babe Ruth Type 1 photo slabbed in the BGS Authentic case. Beckett's authentication process is a JOKE and they do not have employees with proper credentials to be giving their opinions on original photos. The photo I used to have also claimed it was "From the Estate of Dick Hoblitzell" which is just ridiculous when the photo is a 100% fake. Someone is definitely submitting a great story to the people over at Beckett to for one, write that kind of provenance on the label, and two Authenticating these piece of sh*t fake photos. Yes, it was my fault to have acquired the photo in the first place but I was new to the game and unfortunately learned the hard way. I even brought it to the attention of the people in charge over at Beckett and they obviously haven't done much about it because their bad photos still seam to be floating around out there. I'll never buy a Beckett slabbed photo again unless I'm 100% sure it's authentic and Ben is completely right on these two photos..
Bryan Augenstein, you're killing me ...

Last edited by glchen; 10-29-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Dave

I've seen Beckett put "Type 1" on Wire photos, so this is no shock to me.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I was an outside advisor for Becket photos early on, before the even started up I think, and would advise them from afar (literally email) on a few photos. I never handled or labelled any of the holdered photos and stopped working with them (and visa versa) a few years ago. Though I gave email opinions on one or two photos. The first time I see these photos is when they're posted about on Net54.

I don't follow the photos auction market and PSA/Beckett photos like you guys, as I'm not an active buyer and seller, but did notice on eBay a more modern UPI '1920s' boxing photo holdered by Beckett as Type I. I said i noticed this error to a board member and he said "Some guys on Net54 have notice other errors as well."

I have no insight what went on with these and other errors. Perhaps they had a regular card graded handle them as a bulk order at a show. The one I mentioned was obviously a questionable item as UPI was, of course, founded in the 1950s. I would hope it's a bad batch and they learned or corrected the error/method. But I have no insight.

Perhaps interestingly, when they first contacted me about them grading photos, I said the best thing they could do would be to mail photos for me to authenticated, but the head guy at Beckett said they couldn't do that due to economic reasons-- which I understand. I'm 1,000+ miles away from them. For cards, I think they do a lot of grading and submissions at card shows.

Perhaps even more interestingly, when a big non-sport auction house asked me to authenticate and catalog a LARGE collection of photos, I was originally supposed to fly out to them but there was a travel/schedule mix up, so they mailed all the photos (BOXES AND BOXES) to me by mail on the other coast. For an idea, one box of photos weighed 75 pounds and I needed help dragging it up the stairs! . . . To their credit, the auction house up front admitted they weren't photo experts, and so were reaching out to an outside expert in photos to handle the whole collection-- and handle it in person. They readily admitted the limits of their knowledge and didn't try and i.d./date/describe the collection on their own.

The honorable Scott F. and I talked about sharing a table at the next national, where he sells T206s and I give opinions on photos. My pricing will be $3 for an opinion, $7 for an opinion about the photograph. Though I wonder about scheduling a vacation to the Cleveland airport. Better up the pricing to $4 and $9. I'll bring plastic sandwich bags and an iron, in case anyone wants the photos holdered.

Last edited by drcy; 10-18-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

The honorable Scott F. and I talked about sharing a table at the next national, where he sells T206s and I give opinions on photos. My pricing will be $3 for an opinion, $7 for an opinion about the photograph. Though I wonder about scheduling a vacation to the Cleveland airport. Better up the pricing to $4 and $9. I'll bring plastic sandwich bags and an iron, in case anyone wants the photos holdered.
So it's $4 for any opinion, like if my shirt matches my pants or what I should have for dinner, and $9 to find out if the picture I have is pretty?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

About the topic in general, I agree with Ben. I have seen quite a few Beckett holdered photos that I have very strong suspicions about being incorrectly identified as originals. I haven't actually held any of these in my hand, so I can't say for sure they are bad, but they certainly look questionable.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 10-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I was a philosophy major and am a fashionable dresser. From photos and videos of past national conventions, baseball collectors need my insight fast.

"Sorry, but that Slayer tank top does not go with those sandals."

"Your theories on time are dubious at best. $4."

I'm figuring I can profit from the national without even having to look at a photo.

Last edited by drcy; 10-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Ok.... so I would rather this be a thread about bad photos rather than a plug to authenticate. No offense David(as you are a good dude from what I hear) but come on. I will give people opinions for free after all

On a serious note, Beckett photo authentication is just not up to speed. I have handled some and own one that is just ridiculous(authenticated as a type 1 but not even off the original negative and DECADES off).

That said, I do not think Beckett does it with bad intentions.. they just do not have the skills required. I think their company is a good one(over the years in cards) and I think they should of stuck to that rather than copy a PSA system and execute it incorrectly.

If the TYPE 1 or any other Type classification is important to you, I would not buy ANYTHING unless it is guaranteed to be what you want/is sold as(by the seller). That is, if you do not have the skill set to decipher yourself.

Mistakes can be quite costly. If you pay psa type 1 money for an original 1915 babe ruth, it better frickin pass authentication as such r you could be out thousands(example).

I will continue to post examples on this thread of photos that are fake or misrepresented.

Bob.. the Babe bain is not legit because it is not an original bain babe ruth photo. It came from the same sh*t source as many other fakes.
The only thing is shares with the original is that the image is the same.

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-18-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

When I wrote it, I assumed board members would read my comments on the pricing scale for my opinions and holdering photos in plastic sandwich bags as tongue in cheek.

I agree with your other comments. Clearly, Beckett has made some mistakes and mislabeling reprints as Type I can be expensive for collectors, dealers and Beckett.

Last edited by drcy; 10-18-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
When I wrote it, I assumed board members would read my comments on the pricing scale for my opinions and holdering photos in plastic sandwich bags as tongue in cheek.
You added that part....was added much later. Anyways.......

Quote:

I agree with your other comments. Clearly, Beckett has made some mistakes and mislabeling reprints as Type I can be expensive for collectors, dealers and Beckett.
Spot on DRCY.. spot on.

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Bill Boyd

As a photo collecting rookie, threads like this are much appreciated. Thank you Ben.

billyb
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Just to be clear, I had already signed the contract David wrote up for our partnership, before I noticed that any question I ask him will cost me $3.

Me: "David, where do you want to eat dinner?"
David: "Burger King. $3 please."

Ben - I have had discussions with David regarding the effectiveness of his humor, but he feels that as long as he laughs, our groans don't matter.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Cut the guy some slack. He's got to pay for those hospital bills somehow!

Good to know he's cutting you some slack on the fees though, Scott. He upped it to $4 for everyone else
Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Bad bad bad

JUST SAY NO-NOT GOOD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-AN...item234124275f