NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: The hobby in 1979

I was looking through some old issues of Baseball Hobby News, and I found this editorial in the December 1979 issue by editor Frank Barning. In it, Barning looks back at 1979, "the greatest year in the history of our hobby". In addition to BHN starting up that March (it would cease publication in 1993 after a good run), the Sport Americana Baseball Card Price Guide had been published that spring, the first price guide to give prices for each individual card, in three different conditions. I was 13 at the time and deep into the hobby, and I remember how revolutionary that was. That was also the year that superstar cards, led by the 1952 Topps Mantle, really began to explode in price, as Barning notes. Of course, they would continue to explode even more in the following decade, but 1979 was the year it really started. It's also interesting to read Barning's speculations about what 1980 might bring. People were seriously wondering whether Dave Kingman might beat Roger Maris's single-season home run record, after he hit 48 in 1979.

I've kept some of the ads surrounding the column, because they're fun to look at too.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 PM
David Kathman

Here's a slightly bigger version that may be a little easier to read (except in the middle where the crease of the paper is):

Old 06-27-2017, 01:05 AM
Rich Klein

I will also point out, in addition to the yearly Beckett guide, Mark Lewis and Warren Karp created Card Price Update that year.

That was the first monthly baseball card pricing magazine (although printed on newsprint) and the impact of monthly pricing was huge during the 1979-80 boom. Led by the 1952 Mantle as noted, there was an amazing price uptick to match the gold/silver explosion of that time.

Now there were issues with CPU, but the success did lead many years later to Dr. Beckett creating his own monthly magazine and you all know where Beckett went from there. (That's a book in itself done correctly)

Rich
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 AM
pete ullman

Cooooool! I was 10 years old....and I was a big collector back then!!!! Cool to see the ad for burger king yankees cards...I had hundreds of them but no pinella!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM
nels0n aud.et

Wow i love this read.
In 1979 i was -2 years old loll
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

I remember seeing that 52 Mantle they mention Halls buying. They were my local card shop, and I spent a good deal of time hanging out and learning about cards.

It was a pretty nice one. Not fantastic, but nice, probably a 6 or 7 today, but I'm thinking closer to 6.

Personally, I think 78 was better, at least for me.

Steve B
Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I will also point out, in addition to the yearly Beckett guide, Mark Lewis and Warren Karp created Card Price Update that year.

That was the first monthly baseball card pricing magazine (although printed on newsprint) and the impact of monthly pricing was huge during the 1979-80 boom. Led by the 1952 Mantle as noted, there was an amazing price uptick to match the gold/silver explosion of that time.

Now there were issues with CPU, but the success did lead many years later to Dr. Beckett creating his own monthly magazine and you all know where Beckett went from there. (That's a book in itself done correctly)

Rich
Below is the debut issue of Card Prices Update from September 1979, with the 52 Mantle on the cover. Following that is an article from the July 1984 Baseball Card News about Beckett's successful lawsuit against CPU, which led to CPU ceasing publication immediately and Beckett launching his monthly price guide magazine in November of that year. Another of the monthly price guides that had sprung up, Current Card Prices (launched in January 1983), doesn't seem to have been affected by this lawsuit, since it continued publishing until at least 1991. I'm not sure why it wasn't affected, but I'm not a lawyer.