NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Dave

Default Going to my 1st National this year

I plan on attending the National this year in Chicago. As it will be my first, I'm wondering...
  • How many days should I attend? I am not really interested in the box/case breaks or autographs, just want to take a good look at the items for sale.
  • Should I consider the VIP tickets? Are they worth it?
  • Should I stay near the convention and visit Downtown, or vice-versa?
  • Any other recommendations? Or is it really just a giant version of my local card show?
I'm not a dealer/seller, just a collector who's been away for 30+ years and getting back into the hobby. Today I would say I collect 1934 Goudey, 1954 Topps hockey and mid-grade (PSA 4-6ish) pre-1970 baseball and hockey HoFers.

Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated! Dave
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Kev1n @1les

Dave,
I attended my first last year in Cleveland with my boys. It was great. I felt like a 7 year old at Disneyland - totally overstimulated for the fir few hours.

We spent two days. A near full first day until close and then open till near close the second. We saw every table, had plenty of time to visit, did all of the special attractions (held the Ruth bat, made a baseball card) and even doubled back the next day.

We stayed about 10 minutes from the show and that was more than fine.

A couple of things that I learned:

Wear comfortable shoes. Floors are hard and days are long.

Unless you have something that you are sure that you want to sell or trade, leave the majority of your stuff in the car. I leaned this the hard way. I had a heavy backpack the first day and it wore me out. I had intended to visit the PSA booth but it was always super busy. After about 6 hours I finally took it back to the car and felt like I waa 30 pounds lighter.

If you see something that you like and the price is right, get it then. I tried to take notes and go back to buy the second day and most of what I wanted was gone.

A lot of booths start looking alike after a while. Be sure to keep good notes of where you have been and what they have.

It was a greT trip for us. People were especially nice to my kids. I didn't get as much as I would have liked but I did grab a few deals.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We are confirmed to have our Net54baseball Dinner at the National on the Friday of the national. It is across the street from the Convention center and is free for all members. There will be 4-5 speakers (already set), appetizers and an open bar with beer, liquor and soda the whole time. It will start at 730 this year, with more info to come, but if you can make it Friday after the show you will meet a lot of Net54baseball guys and probably have a good time. I will be double fisting Corona's and be the emcee as usual.

As for the national, comfortable shoes, something to write with.....and cash. And for attire, as usual for me it will be T shirts and shorts the whole time. It's baseball cards, have fun!!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
Dave,
A couple of things that I learned:

Wear comfortable shoes. Floors are hard and days are long.

Unless you have something that you are sure that you want to sell or trade, leave the majority of your stuff in the car. I leaned this the hard way. I had a heavy backpack the first day and it wore me out. I had intended to visit the PSA booth but it was always super busy. After about 6 hours I finally took it back to the car and felt like I waa 30 pounds lighter.

If you see something that you like and the price is right, get it then. I tried to take notes and go back to buy the second day and most of what I wanted was gone.

A lot of booths start looking alike after a while. Be sure to keep good notes of where you have been and what they have.

It was a greT trip for us. People were especially nice to my kids. I didn't get as much as I would have liked but I did grab a few deals.
Perfect! Thanks for the advice! Dave
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We are confirmed to have our Net54baseball Dinner at the National on the Friday of the national. It is across the street from the Convention center and is free for all members. There will be 4-5 speakers (already set), appetizers and an open bar with beer, liquor and soda the whole time. It will start at 730 this year, with more info to come, but if you can make it Friday after the show you will meet a lot of Net54baseball guys and probably have a good time. I will be double fisting Corona's and be the emcee as usual.

As for the national, comfortable shoes, something to write with.....and cash. And for attire, as usual for me it will be T shirts and shorts the whole time. It's baseball cards, have fun!!
Net54baseball dinner sounds like fun, especially the part about double fisting Corona's! Sounds like a classy event so I'll leave my beer helmet at home. Count me and my daughter in!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Steven H.

Last year was my first National. Had a blast and can't wait to be in Chicago this year. Will be starting Thursday and heading back to Columbus, Ohio some time Sunday. Also looking forward to the Net54 dinner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Mark

I'll give you my advice as a regular Chicago show attendee and frequent Chicago National show attendee.

Two days is more than enough. depending on what goals you have you could possibly do it in one day.

The National (unlike the regular shows) has more corporate stuff to look at. That's always nice to take time to do. There's also a lot more things going on at individual tables. oftentimes there will be autograph guests at the tables.

As for where to stay, If you're driving I highly recommend finding a hotel room outside the immediate area. There's no need to pay the jacked up rates right there in Rosemont. Drive a couple miles and find a Days Inn. You'll save enough money to spend the next day at the show.

Plan your eating breaks. I've often find I spend the entire day wandering and never stop to eat or drink. That's a challenge.

As for the VIP, never got them, never will. They're a big waste of money to me. Most of the big dealers have already worked over deals with each other so the panic of having to get that extra hour in is pretty false.

If you don't plan frequent trips out to your car I highly suggest parking at the Metro Lot just East of the interstate. It's only $5 to park all day ( I think the ramps charge something like $20) plus they are easy to get in and out of.It's an easy walk to the convention center from there.

Visiting downtowm Chicago is amazing. There's tons to do (I highly recommend Eataly. If you go there you'll see what I mean.) Getting downtown is easy. Just hop on the train at the lot I told you to park at and your in Downtown in just a couple of minutes.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Bring lot's of money.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I'll give you my advice as a regular Chicago show attendee and frequent Chicago National show attendee.

Two days is more than enough. depending on what goals you have you could possibly do it in one day.

The National (unlike the regular shows) has more corporate stuff to look at. That's always nice to take time to do. There's also a lot more things going on at individual tables. oftentimes there will be autograph guests at the tables.

As for where to stay, If you're driving I highly recommend finding a hotel room outside the immediate area. There's no need to pay the jacked up rates right there in Rosemont. Drive a couple miles and find a Days Inn. You'll save enough money to spend the next day at the show.

Plan your eating breaks. I've often find I spend the entire day wandering and never stop to eat or drink. That's a challenge.

As for the VIP, never got them, never will. They're a big waste of money to me. Most of the big dealers have already worked over deals with each other so the panic of having to get that extra hour in is pretty false.

If you don't plan frequent trips out to your car I highly suggest parking at the Metro Lot just East of the interstate. It's only $5 to park all day ( I think the ramps charge something like $20) plus they are easy to get in and out of.It's an easy walk to the convention center from there.

Visiting downtowm Chicago is amazing. There's tons to do (I highly recommend Eataly. If you go there you'll see what I mean.) Getting downtown is easy. Just hop on the train at the lot I told you to park at and your in Downtown in just a couple of minutes.
Great stuff Mark! Are you referring to the Rosemont L-train station?

Thanks for the info! Dave
Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Default National in Chicago...

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy that much. The variety and quality of the cards is amazing.

Looking forward to meeting you at the National !!!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Dave,
I'll echo a lot of what was said about wearing comfortable shoes, staying 15-20 ride from the convention center,and parking in the metro lot.
All of the National's that I've been to have been at the Chicago locations (McCormick Place/Stephens Convention Center). I have always went 2 days and I think that is about right time-wise. You should have no issues finding buys with the items you collect. I try and stay as close to my buying plan as possible (one year it was mostly T201 and 1955 Topps Doubleheaders with a few misc items thrown in) and I needed about 1 1/2 days to really get through the whole place. That was even skipping over the tables that had just shiny new stuff. It is neat just seeing some of the items that the auction houses have also.
Pack a few items like granola bars or similar with you that you can eat throughout the day. I hate buying $6 pieces of not-so-great pizza that could have been spent on cards.
It's one thing I look forward to each time I'm able to attend.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

All of the above, but wanted to emphasize something that goes with the granola bars mentioned. Hydrate!

You'd be surprised how easy it is to "forget" to drink fluids while you wander around the floor. I usually bring two or three 16/20 oz bottles of water and make sure I pound one by noon and polish off the rest in the afternoon. You might be lugging around the weight of the water initially, but as that backpack gets heavier during the day, it will definitely give you the incentive to drink the water rather than carry it around.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 AM
Dave

Thanks for the great advice fellas! Can't wait!

Dave
Old 03-06-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
Dave,
I attended my first last year in Cleveland with my boys. It was great. I felt like a 7 year old at Disneyland - totally overstimulated for the fir few hours.

We spent two days. A near full first day until close and then open till near close the second. We saw every table, had plenty of time to visit, did all of the special attractions (held the Ruth bat, made a baseball card) and even doubled back the next day.
KeviN...

I am HopiN that iN 2016 I can Post Similar!
I have 4 Boys that I would Love ta do this wit(& They Would LoVe ta Go!!!)

Thanks fir the TiPs & InspiratioN...

Last edited by irishdenny; 03-06-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Mike Dugan

At the National in St. Louis back in the 90's I had flown in that morning and was flying back out that night.

We were finished shopping by 5:00 or so and had a couple of hours until our flight. We decided to hydrate at the Budweiser booth and as I remember, it would have been a bad idea to continue shopping after that point.

I am guessing having a beer booth may have just been a St. Louis thing?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default Going to my 1st National this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
We decided to hydrate at the Budweiser booth

Oxymoron?

Man...if only Budweiser could hydrate!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 03-06-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Sometimes you just gotta do it....

Old 03-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
At the National in St. Louis back in the 90's I had flown in that morning and was flying back out that night.

We were finished shopping by 5:00 or so and had a couple of hours until our flight. We decided to hydrate at the Budweiser booth and as I remember, it would have been a bad idea to continue shopping after that point.

I am guessing having a beer booth may have just been a St. Louis thing?
Nope, Chicago has a farily large bar on the convention floor
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Todd Schultz

One thing I have found over the years is that I now go for the fellowship more than the material, although it is a great eye-candy experience. When I first attended, I took x dollars and was hell-bent on spending all of it or it wasn't considered a worthwhile show. I found myself buying stuff I had no intention of buying, sometimes stuff I didn't even know much about, after my list of must haves either were unavailable or were too grossly overpriced. Then about the first Baltimore National I decided to just take in the area and the hobby friends I'd met online and had a great time-- Orioles game, great food, cool pier nearby, etc. Since then it's more about the experience for me than the cards. And don't be shy. I wouldn't know 95% of these guys if they came up and spit on me in the street (I get that a lot) but after an introduction or two it becomes pretty easy to mingle, even if you don't chase the same stuff as the next guy. Throw in the bar get togethers after show hours and voila.

You almost certainly will be disappointed by the pricing--many things you see on ebay regularly will be marked up from what you thought was a ghastly BIN price. Dickering is expected--each side can always say no. I have found that Sunday, the last day of the show, will garner some better deals, although many dealers have packed up by then so you run that risk (I've asked some on Saturday if/when they're leaving early if I think I might want to make a final run at them). I've even found a card at a dealer' table that wasn't there earlier because he just bought it from a walk-in (actually a board member here)-- he flipped it to me for a good price for both of us. My advice--be patient.

Finally and most important- Comfortable shoes are an absolute requirement.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-06-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Dave

More great advice - thanks!

I'll hold off drinking until the Net54 get together. It'll lessen (not eliminate) the probability of me spending stupid at the show, and get me to maybe glad hand a few members. I'm more of a introvert, so we'll see how that goes!

So what everyone is saying, is don't wear these -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0982.JPG (24.9 KB, 615 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Jeff H

Default National

Dave those bright yellow shoes will be perfect. Other than the color they look just like the shoes my great uncle wore while gardening.
My son and I have talked about going to the National before, but have never made it. Maybe this will be the year. Thanks for the advice from everyone.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Bry@n

Another National question: Are all the dealers generally set up from the opening bell on Wednesday? I am thinking about driving down for Wednesday but also really want to attend the dinner on Friday night and am wondering whether I ought to make two trips or just plan on Friday.

Thanks all.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

They will be set up from the start. There's an official/scheduled moving in your stuff period for dealers the morning before the show opens to the public. Dealers literally drive and unload their cars full of stuff into the showroom, and that can only be done before the convention opens and the public is milling around. So the dealers will be there and set up from the get go.

Last edited by drcy; 03-18-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Dave

As we inch towards the National, another question came to mind...

I see now that PSA and SGC will be at the show for on site grading/encapsulation. Are there significant disadvantages to doing this? Seems like I could save on shipping - at lease the shipping TO the companies.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks, Dave
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM

As a seller setting up a booth at the National, my comments are as follow:

-- if it is rare and you want to buy it at this show, consider either paying the price or open negotiations. I have seen it over and over again. Someone comes back in 15 to 20 minutes, and it's gone.

-- if it is not rare, shop around. Even if you don't buy it, you are likely to find another one. It may be at a higher price, but it can be found again.

If I find something at another booth, I always negotiate, especially if I want it and I know I'll never see another one in my lifetime.

Wear comfortable shoes. I bought ones that have that memory foam. They make your feet feel better all day.

Also, carry a small notebook to jot down booth numbers, what you saw there, and the price. That way, you can keep track of what you really want to buy.

Stop by and say hello. In most cases, I will give you a substantial savings on most items I have for sale. Where I will be more stubborn is with items I just picked up specifically for this National. I need to break even on those items before I start discounting them.

I am at booth 1110P six booths in the door.

Just enjoy yourself and have fun.

Steve Sabow
Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I would suggest staying on site. The cost of a hotel room connected to the convention center is $153. After walking around all day it helps to be able to get back quickly to the room when you want -- it's a small luxury.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Richard D

Default National

This will be my 5th or 6th National, 3rd in Chicago. I plan for each some time in advance.
Unlike other people, it takes me the whole week to see everything I want to see, and that includes avoiding all modern cards, all memorabilia booths, and all football/basketball/hockey booths.
Generally I start with a pre-made map of the room with all booths marked with dealers I know will have some stuff I like. I do a quick sweep of the room visiting just them first. I mark down other booths I see in passing that look promising, and visit those next. Finally I do a thorough sweep of the room visiting every booth with possible hits, even if I've been there already, as things can change.
I like talking with dealers but some are too pushy or reluctant to put prices on items - that puts me off.
This takes the whole week for me. I also have friends at the show and we call each other on our cells when we find a booth that is helpful for one of us. Very useful as it multiplies the eyes you have looking for your deals.
Comfortable shoes - excellent point - I would add, comfortable everything. I wear long pants and carry a light long sleeve shirt in case I get planted at a booth that happens to be right under the AC blower (it happens).
I carry a drink, and some snack like fruit because I don't want to take time for a meal and don't want to buy overpriced unhealthy food just because I am empty.
Magnifier, my glasses, a couple pens, lots of small bills, a few hard plastic sleeves and a small cardboard box to hold cards, my detailed up-to-date, easy-to-read wantlist, small flashlight (could be cell phone), belt bag, small light day pack, and sometimes I carry a very lightweight folding tripod golf seat for when I am planted at a booth for a couple hours and no chairs available (hurts my back to stand so long on cement).
I feel like I am prepping for a military campaign, but it is fun and works for me. I have a blast with my friends finding stuff, meet lots of people, see stuff I never imagined before, have high energy days and sleep well at night. By the end of the week I'm tired and feeling like I saw it all. Evening dinners (esp net54), maybe a ballgame and a swap session with friends, ends a memorable week.
Then I can't wait for next year, but I need a few weeks to rest up!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:01 PM

So, in the evenings after the show ends (besides the Net54 dinner), "Lollapalooza" is at Grant Park that week
Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightair View Post
This will be my 5th or 6th National, 3rd in Chicago. I plan for each some time in advance.
Unlike other people, it takes me the whole week to see everything I want to see, and that includes avoiding all modern cards, all memorabilia booths, and all football/basketball/hockey booths.
Generally I start with a pre-made map of the room with all booths marked with dealers I know will have some stuff I like. I do a quick sweep of the room visiting just them first. I mark down other booths I see in passing that look promising, and visit those next. Finally I do a thorough sweep of the room visiting every booth with possible hits, even if I've been there already, as things can change.
I like talking with dealers but some are too pushy or reluctant to put prices on items - that puts me off.
This takes the whole week for me. I also have friends at the show and we call each other on our cells when we find a booth that is helpful for one of us. Very useful as it multiplies the eyes you have looking for your deals.
Comfortable shoes - excellent point - I would add, comfortable everything. I wear long pants and carry a light long sleeve shirt in case I get planted at a booth that happens to be right under the AC blower (it happens).
I carry a drink, and some snack like fruit because I don't want to take time for a meal and don't want to buy overpriced unhealthy food just because I am empty.
Magnifier, my glasses, a couple pens, lots of small bills, a few hard plastic sleeves and a small cardboard box to hold cards, my detailed up-to-date, easy-to-read wantlist, small flashlight (could be cell phone), belt bag, small light day pack, and sometimes I carry a very lightweight folding tripod golf seat for when I am planted at a booth for a couple hours and no chairs available (hurts my back to stand so long on cement).
I feel like I am prepping for a military campaign, but it is fun and works for me. I have a blast with my friends finding stuff, meet lots of people, see stuff I never imagined before, have high energy days and sleep well at night. By the end of the week I'm tired and feeling like I saw it all. Evening dinners (esp net54), maybe a ballgame and a swap session with friends, ends a memorable week.
Then I can't wait for next year, but I need a few weeks to rest up!
What, no emergency first aid kit?

Do you have a pre-event training regimen?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-27-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Steve

The advice everybody else has given is awesome, and I'd like to add a few things:

1) The White Sox are in town for Friday through Sunday. Consider taking in a ballgame! (Maybe Saturday night or on Sunday afternoon.) Which leads me to number...

2) While Sunday can be good for making deals, it can also be a disappointment. Many dealers are packing up early in the morning, some don't even show up, and everybody is generally tired.

3) If you don't mind the commute, consider staying in downtown Chicago. The city has amazing restaurants, and they shouldn't be missed!

4) In addition to writing down the booths that you want to return to, mark of the floor map as you walk around. By crossing of booths you've been to, you won't accidentally miss an aisle, which is easy to do!

Have a great time!
Steve

Last edited by brass_rat; 06-27-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Thanks, Daryl. I apparently can't use a calendar properly. Haha
Old 06-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
The advice everybody else has given is awesome, and I'd like to add a few things:

1) Both the Cubs and White Sox are in town for Friday through Sunday. Consider taking in a ballgame! (Maybe Saturday night Cubs or either team on Sunday afternoon.) Which leads me to number...

2) While Sunday can be good for making deals, it can also be a disappointment. Many dealers are packing up early in the morning, some don't even show up, and everybody is generally tired.

3) If you don't mind the commute, consider staying in downtown Chicago. The city has amazing restaurants, and they shouldn't be missed!

4) In addition to writing down the booths that you want to return to, mark of the floor map as you walk around. By crossing of booths you've been to, you won't accidentally miss an aisle, which is easy to do!

Have a great time!

Steve

While the WS are in town, the Cubs unfortunately won't be.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Steve

Thank you for the correction.

Not sure why I decided to look at the first weekend in July instead of August. And now I remember why it was so easy for me to choose the White Sox on Sunday.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
As a seller setting up a booth at the National, my comments are as follow:

-- if it is rare and you want to buy it at this show, consider either paying the price or open negotiations. I have seen it over and over again. Someone comes back in 15 to 20 minutes, and it's gone.

-- if it is not rare, shop around. Even if you don't buy it, you are likely to find another one. It may be at a higher price, but it can be found again.

If I find something at another booth, I always negotiate, especially if I want it and I know I'll never see another one in my lifetime.

Wear comfortable shoes. I bought ones that have that memory foam. They make your feet feel better all day.

Also, carry a small notebook to jot down booth numbers, what you saw there, and the price. That way, you can keep track of what you really want to buy.

Stop by and say hello. In most cases, I will give you a substantial savings on most items I have for sale. Where I will be more stubborn is with items I just picked up specifically for this National. I need to break even on those items before I start discounting them.

I am at booth 1110P six booths in the door.

Just enjoy yourself and have fun.

Steve Sabow

Me and Zack will be sure to stop in and say hello.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
While the WS are in town, the Cubs unfortunately won't be.
The Cubs do have a day game on Wednesday, for anyone who arrives early.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Chris

Default Cubs/National

Sean is correct, Cubs have afternoon game on Wed. I got tickets 3 days ago and there were some still left at that time. There are also the seats on rooftops outside the park.

I'm taking my teenage grandson for his first National. In the past I've stayed a short taxi drive away from Rosemont and gotten good rates and easy access.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Wes

Brightair is a machine. He knows his stuff. This will be my 4th consecutive National attendance, and basically would repeat everything he posted.

Seeing and meeting all the folks in our hobby, business, or obsession is wonderful. I am still chasing the goal of not buying one single card at all on my first day, doing recon only. Haven't been able to do it yet.

Travel safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Dave

Thanks for all the wonderful advice, I honestly haven't been so excited for a short trip since I was a teenager and the family was heading to Cedar Point (Amusement Park in Ohio)! I feel as prepared as I'll ever be thanks to the folks that have taken the time to post here.

Besides Steve, are there any other Net54 members setting up tables? I'll make sure not to miss you at the show. Also provides me a familiar face for the Net54 dinner on Friday.

Lastly, I'm looking for 1 or 2 people to exchange short want lists with. We could exchange phone numbers and text each other when we see something the other is looking for. Can't hurt to have extra eyes out there. Just a thought.

Dave
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEnglishD View Post
Thanks for all the wonderful advice, I honestly haven't been so excited for a short trip since I was a teenager and the family was heading to Cedar Point (Amusement Park in Ohio)! I feel as prepared as I'll ever be thanks to the folks that have taken the time to post here.

Besides Steve, are there any other Net54 members setting up tables? I'll make sure not to miss you at the show. Also provides me a familiar face for the Net54 dinner on Friday.

Lastly, I'm looking for 1 or 2 people to exchange short want lists with. We could exchange phone numbers and text each other when we see something the other is looking for. Can't hurt to have extra eyes out there. Just a thought.

Dave
Yes.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Al Richter

Default Chicago

Will they have another brief case full of money for Bartman if he makes the
show ?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Defintiely bring snacks, the convention center offerings are abysmal.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Defintiely bring snacks, the convention center offerings are abysmal.
good idea..ill bring some nice snacks that I can trade for the 1933 ruth I trying to get..
Old 07-07-2015, 04:34 PM
K Farrell

I always bring a couple cans of Guinness to drink during the inevitable afternoon doldrums - Guinness is food!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Greg Mitchell

Just a note for those in the northeast who can't or won't go to chicago---got first meal yesterday for the so-called "East Coast National" in white plains, it's mid-August and lot of great autograph stars there, if that's your thing....it's NOT the national but an option....
Old 07-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Rich Klein

"got first meal yesterday for the so-called "East Coast National"

Man, I'm living in the wrong part of the country; got to go to the ECN if the promoter feeds us as well
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 PM

I think I just might go the East Coast National show in White Plains this year
Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
I always bring a couple cans of Guinness to drink during the inevitable afternoon doldrums - Guinness is food!
Never really picked up a guinness. is it good warm after spending the morning in your backpack?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 PM
K Farrell

Guinness is drinkable warm, but I'll have it in a small cooler under my table.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
As we inch towards the National, another question came to mind...

I see now that PSA and SGC will be at the show for on site grading/encapsulation. Are there significant disadvantages to doing this? Seems like I could save on shipping - at lease the shipping TO the companies.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks, Dave
I just found out I'll be able to attend. Wondering the same thing as Dave....

Is it a good idea to get cards graded on site, how does it work, etc?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I just found out I'll be able to attend. Wondering the same thing as Dave....

Is it a good idea to get cards graded on site, how does it work, etc?
Hey Tony, so I did the math comparing the PSA July monthly special of $5.75 (25 card min. and valued under $100) and the $7.00 drop off at the National (10 card min. and valued under $150).

I had 28 to submit, so the monthly special worked out to be better for me as long as it cost me less than $32 to ship them to California, which it did.

But if you have between 10-25 cards (or cards worth more than $100), the National is probably the way to go.

I also wasn't sure about the lines at the PSA booth either. Don't want to spend too much time standing in line to submit cards!

Lastly, my understanding is that the submittal process at the National works the same way as by mail - just fill out the form (with payment) and drop them off at the PSA booth instead of shipping.

From the PSA site:

National Take-Home Collectors Club Special:
$7.00 Card Special– 10 Card Minimum Quantity Required

For All Years, cards valued under $150 each
Sport and non-sport cards
Regular size, thick/patch, Coins/Pins, and Tallboy cards are accepted
Excluding Supersized, T3's, and Autographed Cards
For Collectors Club members only
Turnaround time approximately 50 business days/varies with demand

Hope this helps! Dave
Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Hey Tony, so I did the math comparing the PSA July monthly special of $5.75 (25 card min. and valued under $100) and the $7.00 drop off at the National (10 card min. and valued under $150).

I had 28 to submit, so the monthly special worked out to be better for me as long as it cost me less than $32 to ship them to California, which it did.

But if you have between 10-25 cards (or cards worth more than $100), the National is probably the way to go.

I also wasn't sure about the lines at the PSA booth either. Don't want to spend too much time standing in line to submit cards!

Lastly, my understanding is that the submittal process at the National works the same way as by mail - just fill out the form (with payment) and drop them off at the PSA booth instead of shipping.

From the PSA site:

National Take-Home Collectors Club Special:
$7.00 Card Special– 10 Card Minimum Quantity Required

For All Years, cards valued under $150 each
Sport and non-sport cards
Regular size, thick/patch, Coins/Pins, and Tallboy cards are accepted
Excluding Supersized, T3's, and Autographed Cards
For Collectors Club members only
Turnaround time approximately 50 business days/varies with demand

Hope this helps! Dave
Hi Dave,

thanks for the math!