NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I put minimal thought into it and bought a Sentry safe from Amazon. Brand has a solid reputation. Heavy as hell and some dude carried it into my house. Works fine.
Flood and fire rating? If my house burns to the ground my collection will be the least of my worries. And is insured. Flood a little more important as I did have a terrible flood on the other side of my home.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-01-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I put minimal thought into it and bought a Sentry safe from Amazon. Brand has a solid reputation. Heavy as hell and some dude carried it into my house. Works fine.
Flood and fire rating? If my house burns to the ground my collection will be the least of my worries. And is insured. Flood a little more important as I did have a terrible flood on the other side of my home.
If some dude carried it into your house, that implies some dude could carry it out of your house, no?
Old 01-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If some dude carried it into your house, that implies some dude could carry it out of your house, no?
Some dude stronger than you Peter.

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Over*667* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 250 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.

All my cards are centered, some are just cut incorrectly.

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data, but still a weird dude.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
he put minimal thought into it.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 01-01-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Ha. Well it was in the box. When I took it out to the box my son and I had a hell of a time carrying to together. I guess they make the plastic shell very hard to carry. Very slippery. And I did bolt to the floor.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I opted for Liberty Lincoln Safe years ago, built into closet which would require walls to be torn down to remove it. The safe will stay with the house Not a guarantee against theft but another layer of protection. I also have the safelert service which allows me to check on temperature, humidity, door open/close status etc. It has a very sensitive "shake" feature that when triggered texts me. If I lay a hand on the safe I receive a text within ~30 seconds. If wifi mysteriously goes down I receive a similar notice. I can also set custom triggers on temperature and humidity which is helpful if you are, for example, in a high humidity environment. This feature can remind you to turn on the dehumidifier (safe has its own dry rod dehumidifier, one of several accessories you can consider). Tornado and fire are more likely than theft in Iowa; the Liberty safe provides some protection from all (heavy, quite a few layers of fire board, ball bearing steel hardplate, 14 bolt, etc.).

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-linc...html?tab=specs

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory...-17-pg-85.html
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 01-01-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Excellent advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
Having explored this topic as a complete novice in the past year and coming out of it much wiser, I'd throw in a few key tidbits:

--If you want more than to keep out nosy neighborhood kids, then do NOT buy anything rated as a RSC (Residential Security Container) which is anything from Costco/Walmart/etc. or labeled as a 'Gun Safe'. You need a "Vault".

--Any determined individual with a prybar will have nearly any Safe open within 60 seconds. (Check out YouTube for examples if you don't want to sleep well at night...)

--Layering of security measures is key, with a conventional Alarm/Motion/Camera system as well as concealment both effective layers of security in addition to the Safe itself.

--Best rule of thumb is to invest in Steel -- Use your $$$ to buy as thick of steel gauge for the body and door of the safe as possible. This is all that truly provides resilience to an attack. This also necessarily increases the weight of the safe. A decent Vault is going to be 1000 lbs plus. Anything less will fall under an RSC definition, typically.

--I would strongly recommend enlisting a local safe/security company who specializes in this area of work.

--Be sure to bolt the Safe to your foundation/floor once mounted. All Safes of even modest size have pre-drilled holes in the bottom, and not bolting it down will allow the Safe to be tipped and attacked from the side, where the Body is typically much thinner gauge steel than the Door.

--If the collection is too valuable to be held safely at home with peace of mind, use a Safety Deposit Box at the Bank.
I echo the above sentiments completely. Did a lot of homework too. Put all the good stuff in safe deposit box. Have house alarm and cameras.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i got 2 safes. One is the Sentry Safe (in case I take some cards somewhere) and the other is a bigger electronic one.
I work in the construction field and know a bit about fire-ratings. Best is concrete-blocks(2-4hr if solid). Then the thick 1" inch stuff (core-board) used in elevator shafts. Then its your basic 5/8 sheetrock (1hr). Also, theres a mineral wool insulation that's reisitant (we call rock-wool)
Back to the safes. Buy the best rating...it just means it will stay below 350 degrees for that certain amount of time.
But keep in mind, paper discolors at 350 degrees (as I read somewhere)
So, keep in mind, not just the safe you select, think where your putting it as well.
Best bet- is the bank.
NEED: (low-end) PSA 49 Bowman Satchel Paige
Successful Transactions with: Bestdj77(Chris), 39special(Steve), BPencil, Arcadecrazy, BeatlesGuy, Cammb(Tony), Mantlefan2010(Jonathan), Stlcards(Dan), Sean C, nkesterke09(Nicholas), Darwinbulldog(Glenn) & Ebay users: phil8ball, begsu1013, kmas55, Peter Spaeth, bigfish, Greg Nazareth, PhillipAbbott79, DanB
Old 01-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I am looking at this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...MB-E/202996367

Any help/assistance is always appreciated.
Don't get this safe. That lock is pure junk and the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen. It's just thin plastic. Lots of reviews on the gun forums about the lock failing and a locksmith had to come out to get the guns out.

For guns, a lower level safe may be fine as even in a fire the gun will still be operable after fire and water. And gun parts are easily replaced But for documents, like cards, you need a better safe. Liberty makes safes that are intended for documents. There are other companies too.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I bought my safe at Tractor Supply. They have sales on them a few times a year. Buy a Gun safe, it's bigger and you never know what you might want to put in it. Good safes also.