NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Ungraded heavyweights?

So I recently seen a t206 Wagner on instagram that that was ungraded. I don’t know who the owner is or if it was ever graded. But it got me thinking, how many grails are out there that have never been graded. I’m not talking about a undiscovered treasure trove of high grade stars. I’m talking about card that has been pass around ( or in a private collection)in the hobby for years of very high value that is not graded. If you are the owner of one of theses heaven weights
Please share your card and the story of it.

Here is a card from the original post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D89E2FC-71F2-476A-B020-7305D42B9995.jpg (8.0 KB, 1007 views)

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 12-24-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Яоь

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
So I recently seen a t206 Wagner on instagram that that was ungraded. I donít know who the owner is or if it was ever graded. But it got me thinking, how many grails are out there that have never been graded. Iím not talking about a undiscovered treasure trove of high grade stars. Iím talking about card that has been pass around ( or in a private collection)in the hobby for years of very high value.

Here is a card from the original post.
That's a good question. Last month I went to a baseball card show (just because I have not been to one in 12 years or so) and looking for a vintage table/dealer. There was ONE but he had some nice stuff, both pre-and post-war (mostly post-). An older gentleman along with his son came up to the table. He handed the dealer a RAW 51 Bowman Mantle that was carried in his pocket that was slipped between other loose cards (they looked post-war) and was wondering what it was worth. The dealer measured it and looked at it through the loop. There was aging, corners weren't rounded, but not perfect either. Not sure if there was a crease. But the dealer seemed interested and gave the guy his business card.

So there may be gems out there that are not encased but kept deep in a private collection.

The border colors on that Wagner seem "off" to me. I'm no expert, but I have seen my share of T206s up close an in hand in all conditions and that one doesn't look kosher. I may be wrong but my instinct tells me better safe than sorry.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I canít say if itís real or not but Instagram is known for filters that changed to color of photos. I donít understand how anyone could carry a 51 Mantle around in just there pocket. Probably was creased l.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:52 AM

I have 520 t206s including Demmitt, O'Hara and all 4 Cobbs that are ungraded. I have 239 1933 Goudeys including all 4 Ruths and both Gehrigs that are ungraded. All were purchased long before PSA existed. There really isn't a need to grade them until time to sell them. I would think that there are quite a few high end cards sitting in long time collections ungraded.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have 520 t206s including Demmitt, O'Hara and all 4 Cobbs that are ungraded. I have 239 1933 Goudeys including all 4 Ruths and both Gehrigs that are ungraded. All were purchased long before PSA existed. There really isn't a need to grade them until time to sell them. I would think that there are quite a few high end cards sitting in long time collections ungraded.
+1 Whenever I hear about a new "find", whether it's a couple dozen Red Hindus, five Cobb backs, or something huge like the Black Swamp find, they're always ungraded. The first thing that the AH does is have them graded. I can't imagine how many more finds are sitting around waiting to be found.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
+1 Whenever I hear about a new "find", whether it's a couple dozen Red Hindus, five Cobb backs, or something huge like the Black Swamp find, they're always ungraded. The first thing that the AH does is have them graded. I can't imagine how many more finds are sitting around waiting to be found.
Sean, why waste time with new material when the old posts cannot be improved?

Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Over*700* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-18.
Over 500 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.

All my cards are centered, some are just cut incorrectly.

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data, but still a weird dude.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:12 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have 520 t206s including Demmitt, O'Hara and all 4 Cobbs that are ungraded.
That makes 1040 between us. Mine are mostly lower grade but not beaters.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Dave_Berg

I believe a vast amount of treasure is out there, out of sight of the light of day, Sportscards forums and TPG offices.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Sean, why waste time with new material when the old posts cannot be improved?

Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.
Frank, is that from Lord of the Rings?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thereís a lot of stuff out there with collectors who started in the 1970s and who are not likely to sell until they die and their estates are liquidated. I look at lots of my stuff and think about slabbing but opt not to. Why bother if I am not going to sell it? It is costly and bulky.