NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Have you ever withheld info about an item?

I once sold a tintype of a baseball player on eBay. The player didn't have a bat, glove or anything else related to baseball, other than the uniform. A year after the sale I discovered what team he played for (his uniform was unique) through an odd accidental circumstance. I contacted the buyer and asked him if he would be interested in selling it. If he had said "no", I planned to give him the new information, but he said "no" with a rude emphasis, so I kept the information to myself, and have done so for fifteen years.

A year or so ago a super-rare item came up at auction. It was an item that was right in my collecting wheel-house - pretty much a 'holy grail'. It was mis-described by a major auction house and I was sure I could get it at a great deal, brag about it for a while, then put it in a safe deposit box. Again, an odd circumstance gave me information about the item that it was very, very unlikely that anyone else would have. Possible, but highly improbable. This was due to the weird esoteric research that I do for my baseball history articles.

Well, another bidder had other ideas. All night we bid - going down to the 30 minute wire each time. We bid the item up to north of $12k (the AH had it predicted at $2K, which would have been right if their description were accurate). Sometime early in the morning I gave up; still, I was dying to talk about the item the morning after the auction, but I felt like it would show up again at auction someday, possibly again misdescribed, and I would have another shot at it. Hasn't happened - in fact; no one ever mentioned the item in any discussion forums. So I've kept my mouth shut, still hoping.

Any other stories like the above?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:11 PM

Hey Scott,
I hope you are well & interesting topic.

FYI, I typically do not share esoteric info about a scarce item that I'm interested in adding to my collection until I have done so. I might do it with a close collector friend, but certainly not a dealer.
Some of my net54 posts reveal info that I have been holding onto, sometimes literally for decades from research that I have done in the past.

There's no doubt that storing facts that are not commonly known can allow you to buy something really scarce at a reasonable price, which is pretty great and fun IMHO.
I hope you would all agree that as collectors we certainly overpay at times for scarce items that we are looking for.
I'm merely hoping to balance these purchases off with a few bargains...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-25-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: additional thoughts added
Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Mark

Scott,

It depends for me. If a non-sports eBay seller is completely clueless on what they have I will contact them. I won't take advantage of their lack of knowledge on sports memorabilia. Typically I'll also make a very generous offer to change the auction to a private BIN. If it's a sports dealer/auction house I don't say anything. They should know better.

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-23-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Al

I have stopped giving out any information anymore. Some of my reasons are because of this forum... My feeling is this way why should I give out any information that took me 30 to 40 years to gather and have someone here use that to profit from and it only took them 2 minutes to find out... My 2 cents.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-04-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Goldin had a Musial signed ball in their last auction that he had written hit # 3431 on. They didn't list it as anything but that. With a day or two left I emailed them to let them know he passed Wagner for the NL hit leader with that hit. I got no repsonse but they did edit the description to say that but not the title. I think it went cheap because of that. It was started at $1500 but had no bids until the edit. Sold for $2640 with the BP.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 08-23-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Jim Murphy

Auction House, no they will not pay you for the additional info even though it may mean more to them. Take advantage of your hard work and time.

In your original question the same. Educating yourself should be for your advantage