NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default did anyone else win any t201's from this guy? Im wondering if this is fake?

Posted By: Sean

I just got this t201 in the mail and it looks suspicious. Wondering if anyone else got any of the other t201's this guy was selling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280242880400&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Default did anyone else win any t201's from this guy? Im wondering if this is fake?

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I've never dealt with this seller, but the scan of the card does look suspicious to me:

1. The printing in the bio/stat area looks wrong.

2. The bottom-right corner on the front/bottom-left from the back looks like it could be from a thumb/finger possibly holding the card in some kind of liquid to prematurely age the card.

Steve

Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

They definitely look suspicious. The low ending prices are probably an indicator of being fake.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

the thing is, he's selling all sorts of vintage cards that look good. surely someone from this board won one besides me?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

Why does a seller keep the winning bidder private. To me that seller is trying to hide something. To me that iss suspicious and a beware sign should raise. IMO

Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

99% of mine had uneven cuts. This one is too perfect imo.

Are his other 201s as evenly cut?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

the weird thing is on the top of the chase side of his scan is uneven yet this card I got isnt? Im smelling big fat paypal report here

Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

The cards are authentic. Tim is my brother and unless David Hunt is selling fakes, they are real. Same goes for the rest of his current listings. Most came from the last Mastro Auction. Yeah, his feedback has seen better days, but I know he isn't a crook. All of you insightful board leaders who assume the worst at every given chance need to apparently put your doubting eyes on the hobbies auction leaders. "Looks bad!, Has got to be trimmed!, Low end must be fake....etc." Come on guys. He offers a no questions asked refund policy! Yes, this is a little more personal to me. But, this is the second thread in a week about Tim, and as Leon was quick to point out, he does have a brother who is a board member. If I stood by idle, I wouldn't be much of a brother. Tim introduced pre-war cards to me and I owe him a lot for that. He is also fairly easy to talk to about any problems you may have. His Ebay account is public record. Both his home and office numbers, I believe, are listed.

As far as the card in question above, if you are not satisfied with it, I'll buy it. Just email me and I'll shoot a Paypal this evening.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

wait a tick here. There was ANOTHER thread about him? I looked and couldnt find it?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

The seller does offer a 7 day return policy with no questions asked. I would talk to the seller first.

Rawn

Old 07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Since Lance brought up the other thread, the link is below. I started it about 10 days ago, but it had nothing to do with questioning the legitimacy of the seller's cards. All it dealt with was some extremely poor communication skills on the part of the seller. All of my points were 100 percent accurate.

In addition to receiving a few message via the eBay system from the seller, who was understandably unhappy with the post, I also was threatened with a slander lawsuit.

Take it all for what it's worth. That's what I did.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1215887850/last-1216007243/Not+the+sharpest+tool+in+the+eBay+shed

Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think Tim is sometimes a little slow to communicate but I would trust him in a deal.....same with Lance,(hi Lance).... though you aren't as slow to communicate .....no worries....

Administrator

also,
I do not know too much about t201's. Is the stock very slim, almost papery? Have a weird smell to em?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

We posted at the same da** time....I guess I sort of validated your statement and vice versa...

Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Leon,

No worries. The main reason I posted in this thread was to set the record straight that the other post regarding of this seller had nothing to do with whether his cards were legit.

That being said, when an eBayer is quick to threathen legal action, that simply raises a red flag for me. Who needs the hassle?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator

The colors look dull (I know its supposed to have water stain) and the paper stock feels more like the thin side of a mathbook than like the paperstock of a t206 for example

Here is hopefully a better scan of the chase side:

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Can you post a closeup scan of the stats and ad on the bottom of other side. Are the letter crisp or blurry. look at the letters with holes in them like "e" "d" "a" etc. sometimes the fakes will have some or all of the holes filled in (especially the small factory district number).

The color doesnt look right on back it sort of has a blue look instead of dark gray, and the players name at top is not as dark and clear as some Ive seen.

To me it looks bad.......

here is one of Leons cards for comparison. I always google card images to compare and many times Leon has the best pics.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Everything about the front of that card looks wrong to me. The darks are much darker on legitimate examples, especially the name and sock rings/shoes. The back will probably tell us more than the front, as has been stated by others.

The fold line also looks wrong both on the front and back(at least what I can see from the auction), a card with as little wear to the corners as this one appears to have would have the fold line on front almost completely blending into the background, and the colors would definately not change through that area. The close-up of the Chase looks very strange right along the sleve of his jersey on his left arm.
-Rhett

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

First of all thanks for the kind thoughts Frank. I always say a large front and back scan is worth a thousand words.
My guess is that the card is ok. I think the scan isn't that good though. I remember the other day when Zach thought a T209-2 I had won was different than it really was. I had played around with the image in "paint" and it distorted it somewhat, as seen on the screen. Just a guess but I will say it's ok....plus if Hunt sold it I doubt a fake would get by them (mistakes can happen to anyone, I know...)...regards