NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default 1915 Cracker Jack Baseball Cards

Since it's a slow news day here on Net54 and I can never have enough friends or perhaps enemies.

Anybody going to be near Tacoma on Sept. 3rd? Not exactly the auction house I would have chosen, but it will be interesting to see the results. If you actually read the article, it has a snippet on how the cards were found inside a board game.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...ut-of-the.html

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...cker-jack.html

"Lovely Day!"
Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting Iggy. Always cool to read about finds. That being said, I have a habit of looking for errors in articles about pre-war baseball cards. I don't quite understand why, but I do. On this one I think the author probably read about 1914s somewhere and then thought that the 1915s were printed on thin paper too. Of course they weren't. Nice read and thanks again for posting on what is a slow news day on the board.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM
David M.

Those are some beauties. It's always great when someone makes a find like that. It keeps you hoping that maybe someday...
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Peter F

I'll be out there on vacation with my wife so Ill check it out. Anyone want to go in it together?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Steven

Wow, Im not sure exactly how much the auctioneer thinks he's going to get with these. He wont guarantee any authenticity, has no terms of sales on his web page and cards are not available for preview. Id love to have this set, don't get me wrong, but when you talk to him he expects north of 50k for these.

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Its nice to have 2 members out the auction now...
I know, I know Steve. the first thread shocked me and now this one. sigh. I really don't understand it.

I think there are two groups - one who think 'don't out an auction because there may be people who are interested in the stuff, etc etc." and another group that thinks 'well the auction is already out there, so everyone already knows about it!"

My POV is, i know other people will know about the auction but if I'm interested in something at least i want to mitigate or lessen the number of people who know about it.

Especially for a sale outside of the big BB auction houses.

This is probably the only issue that still really gets to me.

Thanks for acknowledging the outing Steve.

peter
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
I know, I know Steve. the first thread shocked me and now this one. sigh. I really don't understand it.

I think there are two groups - one who think 'don't out an auction because there may be people who are interested in the stuff, etc etc." and another group that thinks 'well the auction is already out there, so everyone already knows about it!"

My POV is, i know other people will know about the auction but if I'm interested in something at least i want to mitigate or lessen the number of people who know about it.

peter
Yeah, I changed my response rather quickly as I am trying to not be negative on this site, but this did bother me. I mean this is not a regular auction house, it took some work to find it, I have contacted the AH and a friend to go look at the cards, registered and have figured out financhial feasibility and then its front page on here b/c its "interesting". I wonder how happy everyone would be if I posted about 5-figure rare t206s at small local AHs?

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post

peter
How is the other thread outing the auction. We posted photos that no one could tell where the auction is? This thread points right to the auction so people can now go and bid more.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
How is the other thread outing the auction. We posted photos that no one could tell where the auction is? This thread points right to the auction so people can now go and bid more.
The photos were fine, Teds stuff was great as well. I am pretty sure at one point Mr Wymer had a link up to the proxibid website though, that's how I learned it was hosted on proxibid to begin with and not just the straight auction. Your pictures were fine.

S Suckow

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Shaun Fyffe

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...missing-84-143

There's the link.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Peter F

There's the link.[/QUOTE]

awesome! Thanks for posting Shaun!

Last edited by WillowGrove; 08-19-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
The photos were fine, Teds stuff was great as well. I am pretty sure at one point Mr Wymer had a link up to the proxibid website though, that's how I learned it was hosted on proxibid to begin with and not just the straight auction. Your pictures were fine.

S Suckow
I did have it posted, but after a very respectful discussion with a board member I decided to edit that.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Brock

Oh I didn't know the link was ever posted.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
pete ullman

I agree with you guys regarding "outing" auctions...but the consensus here seems to be that it's ok!

I was fortunate enough to pickup an impressive "find" at a local auction house near me a few weeks ago...that never would have happened had it been outed here!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-19-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM
James Wymer

I was the one who started this to be honest at first I did not understand the term "outing". In the auctioneer world to out an auction would be to put it down or try to insult the auctioneer. I at first did not know it meant passing on information that potential bidders would rather keep secret. I was teetering between that fine line between being an auctioneer myself and wanting what is best for a colleague or honoring an unwritten code to a membership of collectors of which I am not too familiar. I truly apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes here.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I was the one who started this to be honest at first I did not understand the term "outing". In the auctioneer world to out an auction would be to put it down or try to insult the auctioneer. I at first did not know it meant passing on information that potential bidders would rather keep secret. I was teetering between that fine line between being an auctioneer myself and wanting what is best for a colleague or honoring an unwritten code to a membership of collectors of which I am not too familiar. I truly apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes here.
Sorry to bust nuts here, you're all good. Youre thread was alright, the link slipped in there and I could of emailed then so that's on me...but this thread went up b/c it was a slow day?!?

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
the thread starts by pointing to an auction companies name. it doesn't get any easier than googling that.

i have been watching this for some time now hoping it didnt get the attention that it now has.

i don't even collect them but would have bid should there been not many people willing to risk it.

kevin
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM
pete ullman

guys...a near complete set of CJ's isn't going to fly under most radar?! Some cards have been graded...where's the big risk?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
the thread starts by pointing to an auction companies name. it doesn't get any easier than googling that.

i have been watching this for some time now hoping it didnt get the attention that it now has.

i don't even collect them but would have bid should there been not many people willing to risk it.

kevin
The other thread did not point to the auctions name. Plus before any of these threads came up, there was already 29 left bids online.

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am a frequent antique auction goer, and I can state with absolute certainty that these were not going to go cheap, if these threads had never been created. There are many folks searching Proxibid and any of the other major antique auction websites. Now if these were at a tiny auction with no internet bidding, I might agree that these were "outed" and should not have been. There are still bargains to be had, but not when an auction is on a major searchable site like that.
Alan
Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Rich Rockwood

Thanks for sharing that story, what a great find!