NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default more fakes....so be careful

Posted By: leon

I don't post many of these but so many folks get fooled by this series I feel it's a good thing to post, every now and then. Guaranteed 100% fake...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1928-GEORGE-BABE-RUTH-CANDY-CO-5-KIDDIES-FAVORITE-RARE_W0QQitemZ120208657705

Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

anyone have a real version of this card? i don't collect this series, but its always good to see a comparison- or- leon, how can you tell its a fake? what should we be looking for?
thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank B

This is great that you point it out but WHY is it a fake?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

It's indeed a fake. There was a thread long ago with comparison photos, it'll take a while.

Obvious; the card number and circle is too small.

There it is, thanks Leon;

In addition to the overall blur and over-aging., I've noticed with these counterfeits that the text is all uniformally bold and larger overall and in many but not all, the photo portion is stretched. Steve F

Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Much appreciated. This series and the Fro Joys are the most common fakes on ebay. When you hold one of these fakes you can feel the paper and it sort of has a rough feel to it. Eighty year old paper has a smooth feel to it.....Plus, as has been said, the grainy look is a bad sign...regards

Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I haven't dealt in cards in over 15 years, but certainly recall the Fro Joy fakes from many years ago. I can't believe this is still an issue. If knowledge of these fakes was common 20 years ago, how can this still be problematic? I seem to remember the Fro Joys typically being offered in uncut sheet format.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

One easy way I always use is to look at the number in the circle. On most of the fakes if not all, the number is obviously much smaller.

Here is mine...

When they reprint these they cropped the photo area of the card then added a new caption so if you know where to look its easy to see the fakes.

On the fake of this #6 card the photo is cropped on bottom and right side and the caption is slightly different. On the fake "swats" has a capital "S" and is missing the period after.

I think on most if not all of the fakes there is slight variations in the caption, letter spacing, and font boldness.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

Good old Stew, he loves buying these cards.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I love that Stew's feedback is "private." I imagine these scammers leave some pretty colorful feedback once they realize they didn't reel in a live one.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

well 80% feedback. he ruffled a few feathers i would imagine.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

While we're playing, and learning... I've always thought these were real. Agree? Why?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

I don't like the looks of the 1928 Candy card with Ruth swinging. It might just be the picture but that aging on the front is what a lot of fakes have looked like.....The rest look ok from the scans, to me....You have great experience surely you can tell? I still need a V122 also ....

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

Does Stew P. Dazzo sign baseballs? . I think it would be a worthy collectible.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I agree with Leon on this one, plus I have yet to see a real one without the ad on back though Bill Mastro will argue that point and he could be right and I am wrong.