NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default SGC problem - Scary for me

Posted By: Bryan Long

Let me start by saying that I use SGC for everything - and most likely still will, but this scares the crap out of me. I got my package today from SGC will all of my cards graded just fine. The problem is that in my package was other cards - not graded, but you can tell that they were pulled from their slabs and placed in loaders with the labels on them. The cards had a note written by someone to someone else in SGC saying to deliver them to someone in the office for slabbing. The grades look to be written on the loaders as to what they need to be. They are not major dollar cards. A few 68 topps cards - but they were PSA 9s. There was no sheet in the package to tell me who the cards belonged to. When I return them - and I will how will they know who the cards go to? Just saying, but what if these cards were 52 mantles? e98 cobbs? or anything for that matter worth big bucks. I have to say that this scares me a little.
Again I am not trying to bash SGC, because I have never had anything go wrong with my orders. The question is - now what? Do you just ship them back to the main address with a note?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richie

Hopefully this person had proper maount of insurance on them. that is one thing you must make sure you do. cover yourself best you can. like you said if it was a more valuable card it isnt worth not putting extra money down for the proper insurance

Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Definitely scary. I think calling them would be best. Sounds like a human mistake. My guess is they will definitely know who they belong to. regards

Old 01-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I'd say, based on the alacrity with which representatives from SGC seem to respond to SGC related issues/problems/questions in this forum, that one of them will chime in very soon telling you exactly what to do.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Bryan, Hat's off to you for being honest.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bryan long

I can honestly say that there was never a question of if I would send them back. I can say this even if it were a group of 52 mantles. Collectors need to stay together and it is the bad apples that make this hobby no fun. I will call SGC on Monday if I can find the time between meetings. With something like this happening to Jimi only a month ago I am starting to wonder if the volumn at SGC is beginning to be too much.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

The cards had a note written by someone to someone else in SGC saying to deliver them to someone in the office for slabbing. The grades look to be written on the loaders as to what they need to be.

who were they addressed to?

It almost reads as if someone on the "outside" is telling someone on the "inside" what the cards "need" to grade.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

GLYN PARSON was very generous (overly generous, in fact) when it came to my situation. My package did contain the packing slip for the other gentleman. I called the rightful owner in NJ about his misplaced card, left a message on his phone, and then sent the cards off to SGC to be corrected. Mr. Parson then took the time to send me some free submissions for what had happened. A+ as usual! Unnecessary, but appreciated. Bryan, in my situation the cards were already graded, so in your situation I hope everything turns out ok man!

Jimi

Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

Please return them to us as soon as you can and I will be sure you get reimbursed for your trouble. I can honestly say I dont know how this happenend. We have been extremely busy this past week and we have all been pushing very hard. I assume it was someone trying to do multiple things at one time and an oversight was made. Please except my sincere apologizes for this matter. I thank you for your honesty and I assure you we can identify the rightful owner when we get the cards back. If you need to you can email me at gparson@sgccard.com or call me at the office monday morning 1-800-sgc-9212.
Thank You,
Glyn Parson
SGC

Old 01-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Neal more likely a note from the grader to whoever does the actual slabbing.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Maybe that is what happened to the (2) cards of mine SGC lost in 2002 and then claimed they never got. Then they said they would make it right on 2 different occasions and didn't. Maybe not, but it sure doesn't help the story they told me then about how packages were opened in secure areas and never were out of possesion of the graders and all the security measures they have etc. Hope it works out for you better than it did for me.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Kinda funny to me. i was at a card show in white plains. sgc was there as was gai and psa taking submissions. psa has a big safe there were they stored the submissions and sgc was storing then in cardboard box. kinda makes you think. not bashing but i thinks its something we will never know what goes on at these places

Old 01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

We do not leave the cards at the venue all weekend like some other grading services but take them back to the vault in our offices each night when we do the White Plains show. For Reading, etc. we store in a safe off the premises.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

My question would be where are my cards?

Steve

Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

OK Glyn. i was hoping that wasnt case. Mike G is most helpful guy when i submit cards. He is a asset to SGC

Old 01-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

SGC stores cards in a cardboard box? I assume that SGC does not just leave the box there overnight on the showroom floor. They take them back to the office so they are safe.

I recently sent an overnight package to SGC. Mike Goldberg called me right away since he could not find my packing slip and knew I would bother him later in the day wondering if the grades had been posted. Mike went threw the trash to find my invoice and check and got my 17 card order out the door on time. I honestly never have had a problem with SGC and commend their efforts to keep things fair and their quality control is tremendous. The other companies are far behind SGC IMO and this thread appears to be an oversight/mistake and not foul play.

Now when you see a 33 Lajoie Goudey in a major auction house in a 5 holder that has a chunk missing out of the back of the card, that is awful. SGC is in a class or their own. I trust them over every other company and will not keep any cards unless they are in SGC holders.

My 2cents

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Rhys my friend, you should have used PSA, they have never lost a card according to Joe Orlando. Of course about 10 people who answered my ad I ran in SCD disagree with him.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Really wish that Magie had surfaced; it was a shame for the hobby it got lost...Why can't they lose a few McGwire rookies?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Stiffler

Any chance the cards were # 143, 382 and 383? I can't believe that there are many people submitting '68's to SGC for x-over and I have an overdue invoice in Parsippany.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Good news Scott! I have your cards! Bad news is that they are not graded yet There are three other cards in the group that are not 68 topps cards. I will be shipping the cards back to Gylnn at SGC. If you have any questions for me just shoot me an e-mail.

EDITED TO SAY: Accidents happen, but I am happy to know that the owner of the cards now know where they are. I for one would be freaking out right now if I didn't know what happened to my cards.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Very cool you that have them...sort of an interesting happening on Net54. Glad it all worked out. I am very biased but I am amazed at some of the stuff that goes on, on the board...regards

Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Stiffler

Bryan,

Please accept my most sincere thank-you. As you know, those cards are not valuable, but they do mean something to me.

Best wishes for a fantastic '08!

Scott

Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bryan long

I am just happy that they made it to me and that I was able to find the owner. And the good news is that SGC reads the board and really has no leg work now in order to find out who they belong to. Scott, I will be sure to write a note on the cards when I return them saying that we have spoken and that they are your cards. Plus, I bet you get this all the time but I can't help but laugh, because everytime I see your name I think of American Pie - The Movie! Stiffler.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: K

deleted due to anonymity....say what you want to but put your name by it..nothing personal.....sorry JK....I know your response is well thought out and meant but anonymity is not allowed when disparaging a person or company...no matter the circumstance....regards (leon aka moderator)

Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Give me a break. It doesnt call into question anything at all unique or problematic at SGC - it was a mistake. Nothing more. Had it not had a happy ending, you can be sure that SGC would have done whatever it could to make things right. No doubt it would suck if it were your card that was lost, but that is why you are a fool if you dont insure your submissions. Further, if you dont think that psa, gai, bgs and every other grading company, (not to mention usps, ups and fed ex) havent lost or misplaced a card or several, youre kidding yourself. In fact, Im pretty sure psa was sued for misplacing (and then denying having ever received) a pretty valuable card from one of our board members and UPS lost a submission that I sent to sgc that included, among other cards, an e98 cy young. It happens to them all - its how the companies deal with it that sets them apart.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kirkland Miller

Anonymous? I typed a long thought out reply and it was not at all disparaging. My name is Kirk, and in my opinion, losing a card is unacceptable, and it does indeed call into question their operations. How does it NOT? If I went to a car wash with my 57 chevy & left it to be detailed and they lost it, would THAT call into question the car washes abilities? Of course it would. This is no different.... I half expect to get someone else's order at McDonald's, where pimple faced teenagers are handling dollar menu items, not valuable collectibles of historical significance.

Because ALL card grading companies do it, doesn't excuse it. So you're telling me that I should judge sgc on how they'll pay me for my grandfathers lost card? nice, I can then take that cash and pass it down to my son someday. Cmon, it's unacceptable. If you're too shook to say it like it is around here because they're the only accurate grading company, you're doing yourself a disservice. They need to understand that trust is far more important than accuracy... Because an accurately graded card that I never see again is of no use to me.

It shouldn't be possible to send someones prized possessions to someone else without going way out of your way to do so. Very simple safeguards can make it damn near impossible.
LUCKILY this will likely have a happy ending despite sgc. But in my humble KIRK MILLER opinion, sgc's quick message board response of "we've been busy" is very telling with regards to just how important your prized possessions are to them.

I'm Kirk Miller and I hope my message wont be deleted again, because I believe it to be valid, and I think the community deserves a better explanation. Everyones busy.

edited to correct spelling

Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Please email me
and thanks for putting your name by your response. Understand the forum rules are to protect everyone. If someone came on bashing you for your statements, and was an anonymous poster, the same thing would happen...(deleted)....regards

Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Kirk is right.

That being said, there's not a business in the world that is mistake-free, unfortunately. At least SGC acknowledges mistakes and fixes them asap. Can anyone remember a time that a complaint about PSA was made on here and a PSA rep posted a response immediately?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

SGC wording should have been, "we have been wonderfully busy" and we are truly sorry for the misstake. If my salesmen ever state that "oh I have been swamped", i jump then .Always say that I have been "wonderfully busy " and very sorry that i havent got to your order or response yet. Kirk you are correct that everyone is busy and wording properly in thanks for a customer does go along way.Though I doubt SGC would ever have any wrong intent, we must all take a step back and be thankful for that customer. Well unless they are really mean and do not deserve great treatment. Being the verbal chore that Iam ,I love those latter ones !....me hazz funz with nem ones !

edited fer missin'a letter