NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Josh Hamilton Has Hit Four HRs IN A Game

and it is still the 8th. Hopefully he gets another shot. BTW, he is also 5-5.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Interesting tibit

from Wikipedia:
Warren Spahn pitched the ball which Gil Hodges hit for the first of his four, the only Hall of Fame pitcher faced during a four-home-run game
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Default On a different note...

I believe if anyone can get the triple crown, it's that guy.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Two of them were by Jesus, so it's not that big of a deal.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM

A Minnesota Twins pitcher (Scott Diamond) just promoted from the minors actually pitched 7 shutout innings against the Angels and the Twins won 5-0. That's a more incredible feat than Hamilton's 4 HRs in one game.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Joe Adcock 4 home runs in 1954 game. And a double.
Great feat for anyone able to do it.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Pup6913

Isn't this posted in the wrong section??? This doesn't even have any ties to something pre war to discuss. JMO
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
A Minnesota Twins pitcher (Scott Diamond) just promoted from the minors actually pitched 7 shutout innings against the Angels and the Twins won 5-0. That's a more incredible feat than Hamilton's 4 HRs in one game.
Angels have already been shutout 7 times this year. That lineup looks good on paper but their performance is another thing. Angels have been shutout during Santana's last five starts. He goes tomorrow, so you can probably write-in another win.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Barry Sloate

The NY Times stated that with 18 total bases, Hamilton tied the major league record for one game. Of course that is wrong, as Shawn Green had 19 in his game in 2002. Here's a chance for all the NY Times bashers to let out some steam.

Both Josh Hamilton and Matt Kemp have outside shots at a triple crown. Imagine if they both did it? I think that may have happened once before, with Lou Gehrig and Chuck Klein, but I'm doing it from memory so I'm not certain.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Isn't this posted in the wrong section??? This doesn't even have any ties to something pre war to discuss. JMO

Yeah, but this is such a big story that i think it is front page worthy, JMO
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
tampon?

Great accomplishment for baseball and relative to it's history, including pre-war.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 AM
pete ullman

Barry...I heard this was an AL record...NY Times must have misspoke?!?!?!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
tampon?

Great accomplishment for baseball and relative to it's history, including pre-war.
Nope. Just don't follow modern ball so I really coud care less who hit/pitched what. Just a bunch of over paid players anyways that lost focus on what the game is about and only care about what is being paid to them(most of them IMO). Don't get me started on football If I want to hear about this I can watch ESPN not come to NET 54. News never even broke the radio and I listen to it for 10-12 hrs a day at work. I can see the occasional post about a death, birth, illness, or a historic record being broke but none of that happened. He had a heavy stick for a game. whhhoooo hooooo
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I was fortunate to be at the braves game in 1986 when bob horner hit 4 homers in the game. The braves still lost!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Barry...I heard this was an AL record...NY Times must have misspoke?!?!?!
Peter- Hamilton did set a new AL record, but the Times stated he tied a major league record, which is not true. I already emailed them a correction (others will too).
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Nope. Just don't follow modern ball so I really coud care less who hit/pitched what. Just a bunch of over paid players anyways that lost focus on what the game is about and only care about what is being paid to them(most of them IMO). Don't get me started on football If I want to hear about this I can watch ESPN not come to NET 54. News never even broke the radio and I listen to it for 10-12 hrs a day at work. I can see the occasional post about a death, birth, illness, or a historic record being broke but none of that happened. He had a heavy stick for a game. whhhoooo hooooo
I don't think major news posted on the front page, very infrequently, is a big deal. Most times it should be put in the Watercooler section. This was a big baseball event. I don't care for current MLB or new sports in general.....but most members do.

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM

I agree with Andrew.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 05-09-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM
pete ullman

to each their own...all athletes and celebs are overpaid and many are spoiled and ungrateful...as are many "normal" people.

baseball is still the best game out there...and always will be.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Frank Wakefield

While not a fan of Hamilton, it is a significant accomplishment. And I deem our "oldjudge" worthy of making such posts on the main board. He adds a wealth of knowledge to the board, more than most of us... He's entitled to occasionally digress from old cards.

May 2nd, 1954... In a double header against the NY Giants...
Baseball's perfect warrior / perfect knight is 4 for 4 with 3 HR's and a walk in game one; and then goes 2 for 4, both HR's, and a walk, in game 2. At the ball game is an 8 year old kid, Nate Colbert, who would later get 5 HR's in one day... The Man lost his wife a few days ago, I wish him well.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 05-09-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM

I think Hamilton hit a two Run Home Run in his last At Bat the prior Game so, if that is true, in his last six At Bats, he has hit five two Run Home Runs and a Double.

David
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Yes- Hamilton has 5 HR's in his last six at bats...and a slugging percentage for the season of around .840.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

If you dont follow Modern Baseball then why even click on a thread about Josh Hamilton?

To me endless threads about T206 cards are about as fun as watching paint dry, I just dont click on them.

I also really like the occassional diversion from cards, it helps get to know the people you deal with on a constant basis, their thoughts on issues other than cards every now and then etc. To each his own but I think most people like a few threads that stretch the boundaries a day and the point of having titles in the thread is that you dont have to read them if you dont want to.

Rhys
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

To me the most interesting fact about yesterday's game was each homer was a two run homer and each time Elvis Andrus was the base runner.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
David Str@@te

Pretty incredible. Only one of those pitches looked like a bad one. The others, he just went opposite field with them and took them out to center. He was locked in for sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't think major news posted on the front page, very infrequently, is a big deal. Most times it should be put in the Watercooler section. This was a big baseball event. I don't care for current MLB or new sports in general.....but most members do.
Anyone have any idea of the whereabouts of the actual baseballs? (Just trying to bring it back in a memorabilia context.)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Anyone have any idea of the whereabouts of the actual baseballs? (Just trying to bring it back in a memorabilia context.)
Josh got the last one back. It went into the bull pin and they saved it for him. The other three?

As a Ranger fan from Texas, I was overjoyed at what he did. I was just as thrilled with the Baltimore fans for giving him a standing ovation. True baseball fans.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Bilko Glasier

Obviously he won't keep up his current pace, but 5+ weeks into the 2012 season, Hamilton is on pace for 84 Home Runs and 235 RBI's!!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM

The funny thing about watching this game was that I was so mad that MLB Network was forcing me to watch the Orioles play the Rangers. And then this happens.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post

Both Josh Hamilton and Matt Kemp have outside shots at a triple crown. Imagine if they both did it? I think that may have happened once before, with Lou Gehrig and Chuck Klein, but I'm doing it from memory so I'm not certain.
interesting barry imo there are a few guys that could challenge for the triple crown...back to these two i think hamilton have a better shot because he's a better hitter, with better teammates, and plays his home games in a more hitter-friendly park. besides that tho the odds are stacked against them...hamilton is injury prone and plays in a division with the angels/mariners/a's where their home parks really suppress hrs. kemp still doesn't make enough contact to help himself in the ba dept (his babip is out of this world tho when he does make contact) and he also plays in a crappy division with lots of big parks.

kemp's chase last season was special...and altho he's off to a torrid start this year we'd be pretty happy out here if he can come close to what he did last year (not even thinking about topping it).
Old 05-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Getting hurt could play into Hamilton's favor though. The year he led the league in hitting he only played in 133 games.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Hamilton

Josh Hamilton is pure power, what a swing!
No one locks in like he does (witness the HR Derby)

He has a good shot at triple crown , but the injuries will not help in the two accumulation categories...you just plain need to be on the field to drive in runs...if he plays 25-30 games less than another top hitter, he won't have enough RBI to win the title, and probably not enough HR either.

Just look at how hard the 4 HR acheivement is, and then how hard the triple crown is to get...imagine doing both in the same season?

I wish him the best after what he's been through!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 3 more since

Well Hamilton is on one of those rolls that are so fun to watch...his early numbers after 33 team games are scary...17 Home Runs, 40 RBI and .407 avg.

Imagine that is only about 20% of the season so far

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Rob Miller

Another HR for Josh!! This is incredible.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM
pete ullman

I know...it's very early in the season...but look at Hamilton's numbers prior to today's game...and as already stated he hit another dinger today!!!! Noone is even close in any category!!!!!

Batting Avg
1. J. Hamilton TEX .407
2. D. Jeter NYY .372
3. R. Sweeney BOS .353
Complete Stats

Home Runs
1. J. Hamilton TEX 17
2. E. Encarnacion TOR 11
3. C. Granderson NYY 11
Complete Stats

RBIs
1. J. Hamilton TEX 40
2. E. Encarnacion TOR 29
3. M. Cabrera DET 27
Complete Stats
Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I got him in my Fantasy League!!!!!

Bob, I totally agree with you on a Twins starter getting 7 shutout innings, we suck really bad.

Lee