NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Donny Muth

Default How to start a child on card collecting

For Christmas, we got my son a small baseball card album. You know, one of the ones with the 4 pocket pages that holds 40 cards total. What I want to do is start him a small collection anticipating the day when he may want to join me in the hobby. He'd be free to trade, sell, or just keep any cards in this start-up album.

He turns 5 in March, so is probably a bit young for collecting still. He sees mine and has asked for cards to "play with" on occassion. I have indulged him by giving him a few 1980's commons in a small plastic card box or semi-rigid holders. Usually, he 1) loses interest in them within a few hours and 2) has turned those near mint specimens into low grade fillers.

I'm looking towards the future when he is old enough to collect, appreciate, and handle the cards properly though...assuming he develops any real interest in cards of course.

So that brings up questions for the group:
- Has anyone on the board got a child into card collecting? How?
- What age did you and your child start collecting?
- Should I start him a mini-collection to be ready for the day he wants to get into it more? If so, what cards should I start gathering for his starter collection?

I was thinking of primarily 50's and 60's low/mid condition stars. I will probably also throw in a few common player pre-war cards to give him a flavor of that era too - a T206, a '33 Goudey, a Playball, a Double Play, a Diamond Stars card, a Zeenut or Obak, etc. I would prefer his start-up collection to be all raw cards and lower condition so he learns from an early age that it's about the players, the game, and the cards. Not about a holder or only high grade specimens.

Any other advice on getting a child interested in card collecting and teaching him the ropes? Should I wait until he shows real interest or should I start preparing now?

Thanks!

Donny Muth

Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Brian T.

Interesting question. I would first get him interested in the game of baseball and help him understand it reasonably well. I would imagine that it is much easier for him to gain an appreciation for the game and its players if he sees the game and understands it. That will lead him to want to cheer for a team / individual players. That is your entre into baseball cards. As he gains an interest in having low-end Topps cards, you can show him some cards of players that you watched and cheered for growing up. I think he would naturally appreciate that - especially if you can share some stories about them to make the retired players more real to him. That can lead to stories that grandpa and/or other people saw (and their cards). Ultimately, it turns into great players that we didn't get a chance to see play, but we can learn about them / appreciate them anyway. This is not an overnight proposition. First comes the interest in the game. Otherwise, you may as well show him pictures of great cricket players from 100 years ago.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Sean Brennan

I am going to start by buying him soem older packs and explain to him how certain cards are worth money. That way he'll get the "playing the lotto" feeling that i had when i was young.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Tim

I have a big box of 1987 Topps wood grains that I have saved just for my sons. If either of them show any interest in collecting I plan to give them that box and let them organize those, place them in binders, and just generally learn how to handle cards.

I hope they share my love of collecting but it's not something I will try and get them to do. It will happen naturally if it does.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 AM

Default Great subject!

I have 3 young boys that are 9, 8 and 6. I collect a little bit of everything from the 1910's to the present, but it took a while to figure out what would interest the kids. They became Red Sox fans first, and they each developed favorite players: Pedroia and Varitek. So I got them each an album and started them off with a few of each player. I then explained to them how when I was younger I would try to collect every Carl Yastrzemski card I could find, and showed them my boyhood Yaz collection. They thought that was very cool and decided to try to get as many different cards of their favorite player as possible.

Now I take them to shows and give them a few bucks, and they go seeking out Pedroia's and Varitek's. Thanks to them, I am now trying to fill in missing pieces of my childhood Yaz collection! I'm hoping someday they will develop a taste for the older cards, and I can pass some of my goodies on to them. If not, then I still will cherish the time when we were all looking to add new cards of our favorite player to our collection.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM

I have a two year old son and every year for the holidays I get him a complete set of Topps trading cards (I know not vintage), runs me around $50.00 and then put them into an album. It is great to sit with him and turn the pages and look at the cards and talk to him about players (who knows how much actually sinks in). Reallly cool when he gets excited when he see's a card. If he bends a card, it is no big deal because it is a modern issue.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default How to get kids interested

As suggested I would get a glove and go play some catch. Kids today are too trapped inside our houses, playing video games and eating junk food. Hey wait, that's me now!! (except for the video games part) Seriously, sounds like a lot of fun but they do need to have an interest in baseball, imo....in order to be good little baseball card collectors.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Rob Miller

I don't have a kid, yet, however I do remember how I learned. My dad (who knew more about the game then anyone I ever knew) had Multiple Sclerosis and my brother who was about 16 used to go out every morning and get him the daily newspapers. On his journey he bought a Cello Pack every day of 1987 Topps. He was building the set (stored in 9 card pages and a binder) by acquiring a pack a day. I believe those Cello packs were about 75 cents.

For me seeing how important every single card was for him made me learn about who the players were, how important it was to keep the cards safe and also the importance of building these cards into a collection.

PS - The last card he needed was Don Mattinlgy, I believe #500. He refused the buy it and kept buying more packs until he eventually got it!! Talk about stubborn!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 AM

buy a box of cards and open up each pack together.

the fun and excitement of spending that time together will last forever (for both you and your child).
Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Chris

It seems like the Topps T206 cards would be a good place to start. They have today's players on them but look like the cards we collect. A commonality such as that could work. I got really interested in the McGwire/Sosa homerun chase when my dad bought me cards just about everyday. Unfortunately, it may take something like that to get him started.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM

With a young child you can also spend time putting the cards in different piles --like those which also show a bat, or those that show a glove --make the cards into something to observe and play with --just sticking them in an plastic binder isn't much fun but playing spot the letter on the baseball cap can be. If you are fortunate enough to live near a minor league team seeing players in person who eventually make to the majors is a great way to create an interest as they get older. Play ball !!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Jeff

Default Good luck

Great idea and I hope it works out for you. My father and I have been collecting seriously since an early-80's National in Chicago. We have greatly enjoyed the time spent together. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even though Dad is 90 now and has not gone to a show in years, he still enjoys the new acquisitions I bring over on our weekly Sunday night visits. He gets as excited about finishing a set as I do.
When my sons were born in the late 80's, Dad and I began taking them to card shows beginning at 6 months to have their picture taken with the show autograph guests (before the extra fees for pictures and personalizations). When they got older, they did show an interest in playing and watching baseball and had favorite players, mostly on Chicago teams.
They were shown the cards that Dad and I purchased and our appreciation for them, but they were more interested in their era. Luckily, they had players like Michael Jordan (I know, not baseball, but who could resist collecting MJ?), Frank Thomas, and Ryne Sandberg in town to get excited about. When we went to shows, they were given some money and they negotiated their own deals with dealers - a good early life lesson. They also learned how to manage money - buy 10 $1 cards or one $10 card.
They were also given cards, some old and some new, for birthdays and Christmas. I thought the foundation was set for us to share many memories going to card shows together. Not quite.
Now they are 22 and 21 and are still interested in my purchases but do not have any interest in collecting themselves. Perhaps after they have started their careers and have kids of their own, they will get back into it. Now, the boys' cards are collecting nothing but dust.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Mike

Do it like I did as a kid ,buy a pack at a time when you go to the grocery store and cross them off a checklist. They are still at the counters of many stores. Since Topps I believe will be the only baseball cards out in 2010 it will be easier this coming year and not so confusing to collectors.

Get into the habit of buying a pack or two each time you go to the store.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Good topic guys. My son just turned three, and I have been thinking about this for a while, so I am interested to see what kind of ideas pop up. So far my son just wants a "purple one", so I am going to try to find a couple beater carmel cards. I also gave him a 1989 Donruss Roberto Alomar, but he said he want old little ones, like mine!

I remember when I was little, I was playing ball from the time I was about 4 (1980) on. We lived out in the country in Ohio, so not much ball to watch. We did our Christmas shopping from the JC Penny catalog, as there was no real shopping around. I picked out a 1986 Topps set from the catalog, and that was how it started. We moved the next summer and my new neighbors (peer collectors are the best!) collected a little as it was the popular thing to do in 1987. Their dad found a box of 60's and 70's stuff and it was cool to look through with our Beckett and see how much the stuff was worth and to see who was good and who was bad by looking at the backs of the cards, so that was how I got started on the older stuff, and I have just kept working backwards.

I think a lot of it just comes down to the kids. Cards were great for me because I have always loved the game and history, in general. All of the numbers and sorting of commons was great for my little touch of OCD. I am seeing some of all of these traits start to develop in my son, so hopefully he will collect for himself.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed and trying to get him to watch ball. The MLB network is GREAT! He asks to see if there is one of the old games on, instead of the cartoons. On Sunday we watched nearly the entire game 4 of the 1968 World Series. That is a MAJOR deal for a 3 year old!

Bob

Last edited by B O'Brien; 12-29-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM

My son is 7 and loves to play all the sports.

I buy him packs, and when he gets Drew Brees, or Urlacher, or Pujols, or Kobe Bryant that is what he wants to collect, as well as Bears, Saints, and Cardinals (I'm a Bears and Cardinal fan, the Saints thing came because of Brees and the undefeated string. Now he thinks the Saints stink becuase they lost twice.)

At that age he doesn't care about Butkus, or Baugh, or Musial or Kareem, he wants to collect cards of players he sees on Sportscenter.

Later he may want to get into the history of the sport.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

I don't know if anyone has ever studied this but it seems like there is a collector gene that you have to be born with. I enjoyed collecting things as far back as I can remember. But my younger brother, who was of course born into the same circumstances, couldn't care less about it. And there are plenty of collectors who build collections with the idea of passing them down to their son, only to discover that the son has no interest in it at all. So there is no guarantee that a child will share the same passion as a collecting dad. It's an interesting topic...somebody should write a paper on it (not me).

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-29-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Chris Wassmuth

I am actually in the same position. I have a three year old that went with me to sell my modern cards recently. After I had the money and was driving home he asked me if I would teach him to collect. So after thinking about it I decided to do a low grade '52 Topps Look N See set with him. I think the wonderful artwork and historical characters portrayed will not only keep his attention but hopefully be a learning experience as well. I'll put them all in top-loaders and the top-loaders into team bags so he can play with them whenever he wants. My hopes are that he will eventually decide to do baseball cards with his "old man".
Old 12-29-2009, 10:05 AM

I have a 17 year old son. I would buy a box of modern cards when he was 5 and we would just open them together and find players he knew and liked. Oddly enough he used to play video games back then and that helped him learn players names and such.

He later got interested in the history of sports as I was always talking about it. He then started buying older cards and still collects today although like most teens, spends more time on facebook and stuff like that.

I agree with what Barry said about the collecting gene. I have always had it since I can remember. Some people don't. I had a collector friend who recently passed away. He was 65 and his son has no interest in cards at all although he loves sports. My friend was always wondering what he would do with his cards when he passed since his son had no interest in them.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Clayton

Everyone has valid points,but from my own experiance,Brian and Leon nailed it.
My father was a huge baseball and football fan in the '70s,and made it a point to make me learn how to throw and catch a baseball/football,taught me how to hit a ball,and then threw me on a little league team(we were the Dodgers).
At first,it was hard to understand the game,since all I had done was "play catch" with dad.
Then,as I learned the game and felt the feeling of "competition",going through the losses and wins,I fell in love with it.
From there,I wanted to see ANY baseball game on TV that I could.
From there,I started to want to collect baseball cards.......................
That,in a nutshell,is how it happened for me.
I doubt that without "getting into the game",I would not have found collecting cards to be as enjoyable-only my opinion..........

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 12-29-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Ne@l K

Teach him the game first, and that is alot easier to do if he plays. My son turned 5 in September and fortunately he was able to play tee ball this past April and I had the privilege of coaching the team! That of course led to more baseball questions, watching more and more Phillies games together, and then ultimately asking me to take him to the card shop! He has always been around cards and such, but now he wanted his own.

The first time I took him, I made sure I left with a storage box, some soft sleeves and top loaders. He asked for Phillies only (mostly Howard and Jimmy Rollins at first) and as the trips became more frequent, he would ask for other players - it was impressive to watch him name the lineup, including some bench players. His collection has grown, and he is proud of it - he shows everyone his cards when they visit. So far, so good ...

I have my fingers crossed, and hope he continues.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM

double post

Last edited by drc; 12-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Periodically give him a bit of money to purchase any pack he wants at the store. Let him pick whatever he wants, even if its Miley Cyrus or Harry Potter cards, as this will make him more excited and attached to his cards cards and more excited about picking his next pack. If you can convince him (i.e. not pressure or coerce) to pick a baseball pack, that's fine.

Last edited by drc; 12-29-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 PM

I started collecting again when my son was about 2 which was the same time I started taking him outside and underhand tossing him balls albeit a 4-inch plastic ball and a plastic bat about 4+ inches in diameter. Now, at 18 years of age (I still throw BP to him - now with an L-Screen) he's a pretty good ball player but seems to have no interest in the collection. When a package arrives he asks if it's a baseball card and when I say "Yes" he just walks off satisfied that his curiousity is solved. He doesn't even stick around to see me open the package and see what the card looks like. We've had the conversation that the collection will be his when I die and he has stated that he "would never sell them," but some day when I am gone and he is broke and needs cash, I am sure they will be sold. I just don't foresee him as an adult having as much interest in a collection of baseball cards that I do. He just doesn't have that gene that Barry was describing.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 AM

What got me interested in baseball cards. My family moved to Maryland in 1984 when I was 8 years old. My dad was seeking for something to do just with me. He took me to an Orioles vs. Angels game on a Friday night at Memorial Stadium. I was instantly hooked on the sport of baseball, its history and cards. I think there is a serious lack in this hobby of people who collect cards (for some reason), but who honestly don't give a crap about the sport of baseball. I work in the industry and am surrounded by thousands of vintage cards on a daily basis. All of us have played the game throughout our lives and it has enhanced our card collecting. Play catch with your son, get active with him and the rest will (or will not) follow.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM

On another thread (and on other non-vintage BB message boards), collectors say it's a way to get away from work & the kids. Well, how the hell are the kids supposed to get involved in the hobby when many collectors say this type of statement ?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Put together a baseball card puzzle with the kids. Pull out some similar cards so they can see the real thing. Here's one my family just did:

puzzle.jpg
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

I have some experience in this! My son Joseph (age 12) has developed a real love for the game and for cards. Both of his grandfathers enjoy baseball too, so perhaps he couldn't help avoiding the baseball genes.

My wife and I got him involved in Little League several years ago so that he could enjoy playing on a team. About a year ago my daughter asked me if she could have his room after he was drafted. I was sort of surprised that she knew about the military draft and explained that the armed forces were now volunteer. Well, I quickly learned that Joseph expects to be drafted by a major league team, not Uncle Sam and that she wanted Joseph's room after he leaves for Single A ball!

Joseph loves cards that have stats on the back. In fact, he is the anti-rookie card collector. He wants cards from the end of the player's careers so that he can look at their complete MLB stats. The oldest card that I could interest him in was a 1966 Topps Koufax.

Almost all his cards are loose. I have been careful not to buy anything too nice since he likes to handle his cards. I also try to avoid mentioning how much cards are worth, prospects for increase in value, etc. There is time enough for that later, in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Pretty much if one has the collecting gene they are going to be collecting something. Unfortunately, I have it and I chose to collect vintage sports cards. My father was a big collector of early Lionel and American Flyer trains and at one point had a world class train collection. Ultimately, I think he always hoped that Rhys and I would someday come around to collect them with him but trains just never interested us in the least.

I went to the York, PA national train convention with him several times when I was younger but it was just never my hobby (also it was fairly expensive). When we started collecting baseball cards in around 1986-87 my father was okay with it and actually bought me my first prewar cards (a 33 Goudey Pepper Martin & T206 Titus) and even began collecting cards himself a bit--unfortunately it was the late eighties and early nineties so we didn't do so well on the cards we bought.

Long story short, it is impossible to make your kids collect what you do. Instill in them why you enjoy the hobby and they will choose one for themselves if they have that desire, and if you are really lucky they will like the same thing as you do.

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Non-Sports Cards might help

At his young age, he might be more interested in some vintage non sports cards. As someone else stated, they are also informative. When he becomes older and interested in playing sports, he might gravitate towards some vintage sports cards.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I bought several boxes of cards when my son was born (1994) and will give them to him when he is 30. Actually, the SP product is worth something. I will let him do whatever he wants with them..sell them, tear them open, keep them, whatever. I would love to bust a nice box to 1961s myself.

He has collected since he was six or so. He is a big baseball fan and it came naturally to him.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
D.B. Cooper

Lock him in his room and don't let him out until he can recite the name, position and pose variations of every single player in the N172 Old Judge set.

Then again, my theories on child rearing have been called into question before.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post

LOL. Just the child rearing theories???
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

I have been trying for years.

My son loves baseball and is a perennial little league all star. Even bought him a few of the notorious "hot packs" on eBay and let him open them. Nothing has worked.

If you figure out a way, please let me know.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Lock him in his room and don't let him out until he can recite the name, position and pose variations of every single player in the N172 Old Judge set.

LOL! That's actually kind of how I got into cards but it was voluntary.

I would lock myself in my room and pore through the statistics on the back of every card in the late 70's and early 80's.

I'd also study every young player and rookie coming up. I absolutely loved when a guys minor league stats were included on the back of the card.

I'd look for players I thought everybody else was overlooking. Why chase Rickey Henderson's first card like everybody else, when you can get a Damaso Garcia or Bump Wills rookie card for so much cheaper.

I'd hand out my want list to card dealers at flea markets in the area and they'd look at me like I had two heads because I'd have guys on there like Jim Kaat, Andre Thornton, Greg Luzinski, Ken Singleton and Mike Marshall.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Johnny S

Tell him he can't do it, can't have any cards, and you will never buy him any and just be happy with Thomas the train. I wouldn't advise starting a collection for any kid. I am trying to figure out how to not raise a spoiled brat who thinks everything comes on a silver platter and up to this point feel like I am failing. I just want my kids to have fun and be happy, they like the zoo, going to parks, and running around, but also love to get new toys but after a few minutes just want another one, the madness must come to an end and anyone who knows the 12 steps to raising a child let me know !
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Rawn Hill

I gave my son the choice of a player to collect, pre war Red Sox. He picked Jake Stahl after reading about him. I bought the first one, then made him do the leg work finding more at reasonable prices. It helps with the birthdays and xmas presents.

Rawn
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Val Kehl

Default It takes both ...

To interest a kid in collecting bb cards, IMO It takes BOTH:

(1) A keen interest in the game of baseball, usually developed from playing it

AND

(2) Being born with a collecting gene (as Barry and others have mentioned).

I got interested in baseball because it was the only sport my dad cared about - he played catch with me (he says he thought I'd never learn to actually catch the ball) and made me watch the ball until it hit the bat. And, I am grateful for the times he took me to old Griffith Stadium to see our Senators (Runnels & Vernon were my favorites) play.

As a youngster, two uncles first got me into collecting stamps, then coins. Collecting bb cards followed when I began playing baseball. If someone gave me a jar of buttons tomorrow, I'd probably become a button collector! I won't bore you with the other things I collect as an adult.

An interest in math & statistics also helps. My favorite bb cards as a youngster were the 1957 Topps, because they showed a player's stats for each year! I would spend hours reading the stats on the backs of those cards!

I have 3 grown sons. Was I able to interest any of them in collecting bb cards? Nope! They like sports, but don't have the collector gene!

Best Wishes for 2010 to the Net54 collecting community!
Val