NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2019, 05:16 PM

Default The first article on card collecting?

You may have to forgive my British ways, as I lapse into the hobby of card collecting, rather than baseball card collecting. But I hope you'll bear with me...

As a keen student of the history of card collecting, it amazes me that there is virtually nothing published before 1930 on the card collecting hobby. We know cards were published from the 1880s, yet for about 30 years, nothing seems to have been published about collecting these cards. I can't believe this is true!

With your help, we'll see if this really is the case or whether, between us, we'll be able to unearth some gems from yesteryear!

George Vrechek published a great article entitled 'The First Article on Baseball Cards?' in which he covers an article from May 1929, "A New York Childhood, Cigarette Pictures". He ends the article, found here, with:

I enjoyed Arthurs story, his writing and wit. I haven't found any additional information about him but imagine that he would have been a willing contributor to Jefferson Burdick's Card Collectors Bulletin in the 1930s had the two ever contacted each other. Until I can go back any further into the yellowed pages of publications, I declare Arthur Hamilton Folwell's A New York Childhood, Cigarette Pictures of May 1929 to be the first known published article on baseball cards as a hobby.

To up the ante, here's an article on cigarette card collecting from 1926, in which Arthur Budge introduces the hobby of cigarette card collecting, including reference to the 'nearly 30 years' that cards have been collected. The Vanity Fair/Collector's Miscellany website can be found here.

Its a pity that the follow-on article is missing from the site. And the reference to the Charles Matthews collection of over 1,000 sets is something we can come back to in another thread, another time.

But in this thread, the gauntlet is now thrown down: What can you find on card, cigarette card, picture card, trade card, 'stiffener' (as they were once known), baseball card collecting, before 1926?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first5.jpg (53.3 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg first6.jpg (33.9 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg first1.jpg (55.4 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg first2.jpg (68.1 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg first3.jpg (73.1 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg first4.jpg (62.3 KB, 493 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm just annoyed, almost a hundred years later, that the writer spelled "Eager" wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Following.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 PM
David Kathman

I brought that 1929 article to George Vrechek's attention back in 2005, and he gave me credit in his original article. I also posted about it here on Net54 in 2015:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202129

I know there was a newspaper article in 1930 about baseball card collecting, in which the rarity of the T206 Wagner was mentioned. I don't have a citation or a scan handy, but I know I've seen it. I know there were some other newspaper articles about card collecting and specific collectors in the late 1930s and early 1940s, because Jefferson Burdick mentioned them in Card Collector's Bulletin, but I haven't tracked them down yet.

Apart from Burdick's articles in Hobbies magazine in the 1930s, and then Card Collector's Bulletin starting in 1939, I'm aware of two articles about card collecting that were published in the popular press in 1945. I've posted about both of them here:

1945 Sporting News article on baseball card collecting:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238775
1945 Esquire article on "The era of the cigarette card":
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219020

When T206 and most of the other 20th century U.S. tobacco cards were issued in 1909-1913, there were lots of newspaper articles mentioning the card-collecting craze among young boys. Some of those articles have been posted here, though I can't find the threads right now. What you're looking for, I take it, are early articles about (tobacco) card collecting by adults. I would expect those to be easier to find in the U.K. than in the U.S., because card collecting became an organized hobby over there much earlier than it did here. Undoubtedly one factor in that is that your tobacco companies continued issuing new cards up until World War II, while we just had two relatively brief bursts of tobacco card issuance, in 1887-1890 and 1909-1913. But it seems to have been seen as at least a respectable hobby over there from at least the 1930s, while here it was kind of an underground thing, something to be ashamed of, until the 1970s, and really until the 1980s.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Its a small world ....

OK, so no flood of very early articles, so far. Time is on our side.....

But, to keep the thread alive, here's an interesting convergence of the earliest hobby pioneers....

Around 1935, the UK hobby of cigarette card collecting was now becoming well-established. The Cigarette Card News was published monthly by the London Cigarette Card Company, with issues starting in 1933.

And, in the USA Jefferson Burdick started writing in Hobbies. His first article (of 8 in Hobbies) was in December 1935. All these articles can be found here courtesy of Old Cardboard.

Separately, Lionel Carter was writing about baseball cards in Kaw Chief Stamp Journal. An article from 1937 is here, courtesy of Tom Bobblitt.

In the UK, Collector's Miscellany, October 1935 (here), managed to include all 3 journals - as shown in the screenshots below. Now what's the odds of that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM1.jpg (57.2 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg CM2.jpg (69.5 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg CM3.jpg (59.0 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg burdick.jpg (78.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg KCSJ1.jpg (68.9 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg KCSJ2.jpg (73.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting those. Very interesting to some of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk View Post
OK, so no flood of very early articles, so far. Time is on our side.....

But, to keep the thread alive, here's an interesting convergence of the earliest hobby pioneers....

Around 1935, the UK hobby of cigarette card collecting was now becoming well-established. The Cigarette Card News was published monthly by the London Cigarette Card Company, with issues starting in 1933.

And, in the USA Jefferson Burdick started writing in Hobbies. His first article (of 8 in Hobbies) was in December 1935. All these articles can be found here courtesy of Old Cardboard.

Separately, Lionel Carter was writing about baseball cards in Kaw Chief Stamp Journal. An article from 1937 is here, courtesy of Tom Bobblitt.

In the UK, Collector's Miscellany, October 1935 (here), managed to include all 3 journals - as shown in the screenshots below. Now what's the odds of that?
Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks for posting those. Very interesting to some of us
I agree, enjoyable & informative
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Pete S.

I just finished up reading "Ming Condition" so these articles feathered in perfectly. I'm a research professional (entirely different field,) but these types of articles scratch me right where I itch.

It's clear we owe quite a lot to Burdick's early work. Amazing how much love and effort he put into all of this before just about anyone else was hip to it.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Early baseball guides and books would probably be a good place to dig-out some of the earliest card collecting references. Here's a one-pager from 1962 covering some of the earliest publications.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH 1962.jpg (82.2 KB, 299 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It depends on how we define collecting as to which article could be earliest. I am sure there are articles about kids/adults collecting Old Judge cards 100+ yrs ago. Now if we are talking about an organized card hobby then that is different. In the US Burdick and Wagner were two of the earlier ones to promote the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by teza11 View Post
Early baseball guides and books would probably be a good place to dig-out some of the earliest card collecting references. Here's a one-pager from 1962 covering some of the earliest publications.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Default Thanks for the link to Wirt Gammon's 1945 article

Dave...

Thanks very much for the link to your earlier posting (1945 The Sporting News article by longtime collector Wirt Gammon). I missed that back when first posted. It's a great piece and a reminder of the fine collector who was among us for decades.

Your postings are real treasures; please keep them coming. And a reference or two about previous ones is appreciated - especially for those of us who check in only occasionally.

Thanks again,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I brought that 1929 article to George Vrechek's attention back in 2005, and he gave me credit in his original article. I also posted about it here on Net54 in 2015:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=202129

I know there was a newspaper article in 1930 about baseball card collecting, in which the rarity of the T206 Wagner was mentioned. I don't have a citation or a scan handy, but I know I've seen it. I know there were some other newspaper articles about card collecting and specific collectors in the late 1930s and early 1940s, because Jefferson Burdick mentioned them in Card Collector's Bulletin, but I haven't tracked them down yet.

Apart from Burdick's articles in Hobbies magazine in the 1930s, and then Card Collector's Bulletin starting in 1939, I'm aware of two articles about card collecting that were published in the popular press in 1945. I've posted about both of them here:

1945 Sporting News article on baseball card collecting:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238775
1945 Esquire article on "The era of the cigarette card":
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219020

When T206 and most of the other 20th century U.S. tobacco cards were issued in 1909-1913, there were lots of newspaper articles mentioning the card-collecting craze among young boys. Some of those articles have been posted here, though I can't find the threads right now. What you're looking for, I take it, are early articles about (tobacco) card collecting by adults. I would expect those to be easier to find in the U.K. than in the U.S., because card collecting became an organized hobby over there much earlier than it did here. Undoubtedly one factor in that is that your tobacco companies continued issuing new cards up until World War II, while we just had two relatively brief bursts of tobacco card issuance, in 1887-1890 and 1909-1913. But it seems to have been seen as at least a respectable hobby over there from at least the 1930s, while here it was kind of an underground thing, something to be ashamed of, until the 1970s, and really until the 1980s.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

None of these qualify 100% as articles about card collecting. However, I thought their age made them worth sharing here. The first is quite tragic, unfortunately.

1. August 25, 1910, Boston Globe. This is likely the first recorded death by baseball card.

8-25-10.jpg

2. November 8, 1896, Boston Globe. Part of a "random notes" sort of column is dedicated to an early super-collector.

11-8-96.JPG

3. And the OLDEST thing I could find is debatable as there isn't enough context to state for certain that these are the same cards guys like us collect. However, the size and shape makes me think YES. This is an illustration from an article on things to do for fun in the springtime. April 8, 1894, Boston Globe.

4-8-94.jpg

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-28-2019, 01:05 PM

This is what we are after, excellent work!

I like the picture in number 3. the best - it definitely counts.

The sad story in number 1. is repeated in a similar incident in an old UK newspaper search I saw a while back.

But I think we can do better....
Old 01-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Any guesses as to how to play "pitching cards?" If all have the same back, I suppose a game like Memory could work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 PM

Default More old newspaper cuttings....

So, continuing to stray a step away from card collecting, there are actually lots of old newspaper cuttings on-line. The ancestry.com archive (newspapers.com) is full of them! A 7-day free trial is available, but remember to cancel before 7 days are up (unless you get hooked) .....

Here's a couple of early ones that looked interesting..

1. 1886 September 30 - A 'baseball' article, for the purists....

1886 30 Sept.jpg

plus an example screenshot of some of these cards (not from the newspaper)

Blackstockings.jpg

2. 1890 June 8 - And the threat of the removal of cigarette cards, due to the disproportionate lithographic printing costs (including "base-ball players") …..

1890 8 June.jpg
Old 01-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Great find Tim, there certainly is a lot to be studied. The "young lady cigarette maker" cabinets are often found with a "Crop of 1884" mount. A&G has period literature that states they cured their tobacco 3 years before rolling it into cigarettes and I have thus always dated them to 1887 but your news clipping find suggests they were available by late 1886.

I recently did a deep dive into some Tobacco Journals and posted some of my A&G findings here: www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256798

I also wrote an article for Old Cardboard (issue #34) that covers far more than just the A&G issues based on what the same journal had to offer. http://www.oldcardboard.com/misc/issue34/issue34.asp
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 AM

Default Research into definitive issue dates and relative scarcity

Joe - your post makes really interesting reading.

1. Definitive issue dates

Your research on A&G issues dates is fascinating and ground-breaking (I assume!). I had no idea this sort of work had been carried out. And the cross-reference from David Kathman to CCB (December 1941) and Harry Lillien's additional analysis from "Tobacco" (same journal as your reference, I believe) is another great linkage of two disparate lines of enquiry. I will see what's available from CSGB World Index etc, when I get a minute, to see whether some of the early researchers in the UK such as Edward Wharton-Tigar, made any definitive findings, similar to these, to add to your superb timeline chart.

On an unrelated matter, I don't think Old Cardboard will be printing issues anymore - its all on-line - which is shame. Not sure if a definite decision has been made on this.

2. Relative scarcity - Tom Boblitt's PSA analysis

The linked PSA grading analysis showing Large/Small ratios and relative scarcity/abundance on the A&G N series, is also something I've never seen before. The US card collecting hobby is definitely ahead of the UK hobby in this respect.

In addition to your shrewd observation on Large/Small ratios, I think:
a) High quality cards will be more frequently graded, so actual grade distributions will be disappointingly lower than the PSA table, I strongly suspect
b) Rarer cards will be more frequently graded, so I suspect the scarcity graph of individual issues overstates the relative availability of the scarce sets (also disappointingly). In other words the scarce sets will probably be even scarcer in reality.
c) Attractive sets (eg with baseball cards in them) will tend to be graded more frequently than other cards. So attractive cards will also be scarcer in practice than the PSA relative frequency suggests (also disappointingly).

You may be able to tell that maths is my background....

Is this data publically available for analysis, or does Tom have some form of special access to make these cross-tab summaries?

More early articles / snippets will help tie up more of these loose ends / threads, I suspect. We still have a big gap in our card collecting history to fill .......