NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2024, 06:03 PM
Fred

Default Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting this

Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting this

I won an ebay auction that had a graded card that met the ebay authentication criteria. The overall process was 9 days (from the beginning of 2024). The following pictures just don’t do the packaging justice. I mean it’s much better than it appears in the pictures. I’m not a fan of ebay or the ebay verification, but if you had to judge them on the presentation, it’s a “10”. This isn’t an endorsement, just an observation.

An email was received indicating the card would be delivered on a specific day and it arrived on time.

The package seemed nicely taped shut.

1.jpg

The packing tape was carefully cut and the box was opened. Inside the box was another container made of sturdy material. It was accompanied by a note printed on premium stock. The obverse of the stock was also nice (same color as the box inside the package).

2.jpg

The blue box was removed and it was found that there was a “flap” on it that had a magnet to keep it closed. The white outline indicates the location of the magnet.

3.jpg

After opening the blue container (not an actual box because it’s sans the sides) the slab was found to be secured by (4) elastic straps at the corners. The container is nice grade packaging. It’s fairly impressive for being what it is. In any case, I was just floored by the presentation and thought, hey, this is pretty cool, but in the end, it’d be a pain to store the graded cards like this. But it sure is pretty…

The only thing I can see happening bad is if some butt head uses it to display/sell a card that was substituted in the holder with the implication that ebay authenticated that false card. Saul Goodman – this is some pretty nice packaging. Just surprised to see it so nicely done. I mean, DANG!

4.jpg
Old 01-11-2024, 06:08 PM

You forgot to mention the card is then sealed in a bag by an authentication sticker...which may or may not actually seal the bag closed.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2024, 06:18 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Wasteful

I've probably thrown away 200+ of these at this point.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:36 PM
Brian Jordan

I've actually kept a few of them - they're convenient to have if you're ever doing an off-market B/S/T of a higher end card that's in a slab. I just tape over the ebay mailing label with a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Old 01-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Yeah I had about a dozen of them and finally threw them away ,
they’re well-made - magnets and everything
Old 01-11-2024, 06:53 PM
Daryl

Things have really changed in the last 7-8 years. These past few months I’ve felt like Encino Man trying to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2024, 06:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbond View Post
You forgot to mention the card is then sealed in a bag by an authentication sticker...which may or may not actually seal the bag closed.
They don’t, at all . All presentation, 0 substance.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Def pretty cool packaging.
I’m sure you realize that eBay could shove 3 $100 bills in the holder for no reason and 80% of the people on the board would find a reason to complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ebay Authenticated - holy crap, I wasn’t expecting thi
I won an ebay auction that had a graded card that met the ebay authentication criteria. The overall process was 9 days (from the beginning of 2024). The following pictures just don’t do the packaging justice. I mean it’s much better than it appears in the pictures. I’m not a fan of ebay or the ebay verification, but if you had to judge them on the presentation, it’s a “10”. This isn’t an endorsement, just an observation.

An email was received indicating the card would be delivered on a specific day and it arrived on time.

The package seemed nicely taped shut.

Attachment 605018

The packing tape was carefully cut and the box was opened. Inside the box was another container made of sturdy material. It was accompanied by a note printed on premium stock. The obverse of the stock was also nice (same color as the box inside the package).

Attachment 605019

The blue box was removed and it was found that there was a “flap” on it that had a magnet to keep it closed. The white outline indicates the location of the magnet.

Attachment 605020

After opening the blue container (not an actual box because it’s sans the sides) the slab was found to be secured by (4) elastic straps at the corners. The container is nice grade packaging. It’s fairly impressive for being what it is. In any case, I was just floored by the presentation and thought, hey, this is pretty cool, but in the end, it’d be a pain to store the graded cards like this. But it sure is pretty…

The only thing I can see happening bad is if some butt head uses it to display/sell a card that was substituted in the holder with the implication that ebay authenticated that false card. Saul Goodman – this is some pretty nice packaging. Just surprised to see it so nicely done. I mean, DANG!

Attachment 605021
Old 01-11-2024, 07:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I’m sure you realize that eBay could shove 3 $100 bills in the holder for no reason and 80% of the people on the board would find a reason to complain about it.
I believe that is an extremely conservative estimate.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:39 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Who accepts $100 bills these days?!!

Nobody, that’s who!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-11-2024, 07:44 PM

Freddie - Sometimes you just gotta say, "WTF", right ? beer chug.gif
Old 01-11-2024, 07:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Nobody, that’s who!
I don’t want the free money …. I’m sure eBay is going to start charging buyers for this service … I’ve been saying it since 2020 ….. Just watch…. It’s coming soon. ….very soon … very soon …”
Old 01-11-2024, 08:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I don’t want the free money …. I’m sure eBay is going to start charging buyers for this service … I’ve been saying it since 2020 ….. Just watch…. It’s coming soon. ….very soon … very soon …”
They actually are charging for the service with one specific item in a specific price range. If you buy a watch in the $500-$2000 range you have the OPTION to have it authenticated for a $80 fee. Watches over $2000 still go through the program for free.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:17 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They actually are charging for the service with one specific item in a specific price range. If you buy a watch in the $500-$2000 range you have the OPTION to have it authenticated for a $80 fee. Watches over $2000 still go through the program for free.
You heard it here first!

$80 eBay authentication fees coming for all cardboard!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-11-2024, 08:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Such a waste.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:00 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Yeah I've thrown away a pile of them too.
A few I gave to my son, he keeps some Pokemon cards in them.

It's a nice presentation, but definitely a little wasteful.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:39 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Based on some similar market research, I believe eBay is paying ~$5 (or just under) per card for the authentication service. That fee will be getting passed on to sellers soon, unfortunately.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:02 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Based on some similar market research, I believe eBay is paying ~$5 (or just under) per card for the authentication service. That fee will be getting passed on to sellers soon, unfortunately.
People have been predicting that since the authentication service started almost 2 years ago, and apparently it's been in place even longer for sneakers without being charged to the buyer or seller. It seems like eBay must be saving enough in having to deal with fraudulent sales that they are willing to cover the cost for this long so it's unlikely that will change soon.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:48 AM
Eric

It's definitely a nice way to receive a card.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 01-12-2024, 09:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Nobody, that’s who!
I wouldn't say nobody. I'll gladly take any "useless" money you want to send my way.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:31 PM

Old news Freddie, I have about 150 of those blue cases and reuse the nice size boxes for shipping... Welcome to electricity my friend
Old 01-12-2024, 07:42 PM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Old news Freddie, I have about 150 of those blue cases and reuse the nice size boxes for shipping... Welcome to electricity my friend
Yeah I really like those boxes...I've tried to find them in bulk somewhere but haven't been successful.