NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2022, 02:27 PM

Little David was feeling left out, so here is a card of him...a 2006 Topps Heritage (1957 style) picturing him, fittingly, as a San Diego Padres player.

Brian (card not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps2006daveroberts (461x640).jpg (150.5 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-21-2022 at 02:35 PM. Reason: reduced image size...didn't want Roberts head so swollen
Old 10-21-2022, 03:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great teams don’t necessarily have a boatload of HOFers. More likely than not they have a bunch of really good players who just fall short of HOF caliber. The great Yankee teams of the late 1990s were great because of guys like Paul O’Neill, Tina Martinez, David Cone, Scott Brosius, David Wells, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, etc. Same with the Yankee teams of the fifties and early sixties.
As for Stengel, I think he was a horrible manager. He cost the Yankees the 1960 series by not starting Ford, after he requested to be started on short rest, in game 7. I don’t think Robert’s is particularly bad or particularly good, just an average stat executor.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Great teams don’t necessarily have a boatload of HOFers. More likely than not they have a bunch of really good players who just fall short of HOF caliber. The great Yankee teams of the late 1990s were great because of guys like Paul O’Neill, Tina Martinez, David Cone, Scott Brosius, David Wells, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, etc. Same with the Yankee teams of the fifties and early sixties.
As for Stengel, I think he was a horrible manager. He cost the Yankees the 1960 series by not starting Ford, after he requested to be started on short rest, in game 7. I don’t think Robert’s is particularly bad or particularly good, just an average stat executor.
I dunno Jay. It wasn't short rest-- it was NO rest. Whitey had just pitched a complete game the day before. Hardly seems reckless for the manager to go to someone else, regardless of what his Ace says. Besides, they had a three-run lead with 6 outs to go when the bullpen blew it. So unless you think Whitey Ford would have been pitching, and effectively, for his 17th inning in around 24 hours, I don't see how Casey's decision cost the team the series.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It would have been a moot point if he started Ford in game one. Ford threw two complete game shutouts in games three and six. If he had started game one he would have been rested for a game seven if necessary. BTW, the Yankees fired Stengel after that debacle.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Berra, possibly the greatest catcher ever

Dimaggio (a super star through 1950, 3 rings with Stengel) and Mantle, 2 of the top 5 or so greatest center fielders ever.

Ford, one of the greatest lefties.

If the Stengel Yankees teams didn't have 'top tier' players as well as lots of the really good variety, I am hard pressed to think of a single team that ever has. The Yankees were not a collection of good players lacking superstars, by any definition that does not exclude basically every single team in baseball history.

Last edited by G1911; 10-21-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:31 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
It would have been a moot point if he started Ford in game one. Ford threw two complete game shutouts in games three and six. If he had started game one he would have been rested for a game seven if necessary. BTW, the Yankees fired Stengel after that debacle.
I see- you changed your argument. Hindsight is usually 20-20. The last time the Yankees were in the World Series, 1958, Whitey was credited with zero of his team's 4 wins. In his final start, Game 6, he did not survive the second inning, and was relieved by Art Ditmar, who bailed him out and the team rallied in extra innings. In 1960, Whitey was only 12-9, and Ditmar led the team in wins. So starting Ditmar in Game 1 in favor of Ford was not without reason. But in true fan and media fashion it became beyond dispute that the Yankees would have won if Ford pitched games 1, 4 and 7. Of course, the Yankees scored only 4 runs in the opener and 2 in game 4, as opposed to the 10 and 12 they gave Whitey in his starts, but no doubt he would have still stymied the opponent and carried the day. Open and shut case. Let's release the 70 year old manager--HE cost us the series.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't disagree that the pundits and world-renown baseball experts in New York to this day blame Stengel for not starting Ford in Game 1. I do disagree with the logic that it was the reason Pittsburgh won the Series.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-21-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:11 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
If the team won 111 games you don't fire the manager
I'm not sure it's the managers fault when three of his four starting pitchers put up ERAs 5.40 or higher in the playoffs.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:01 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

On one of my auction house dives I found this photo of Casey from 1913. No idea what he's doing but I thought it was funny and had to share.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 10-24-2022, 10:28 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Red Schoendienst entered the minors in 1942, the majors in 1945, managed until 1990, and remained a coach until 2017. I believe that's 76 years in organized baseball.
I'm not sure if anyone has even come close to 70 aside from Red. Maybe Lasorda? But I know he spent a lot of time in the minors and bouncing around other leagues.

I think Red truly stands alone in longevity. Counting minors, Essentially 1942-2018 (he did still help coach in 2018) he was part of professional baseball as a player, manager, coach or assistant. 67 of the 76 years being with the cardinals. One of the reasons I love collecting him!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 10-24-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:51 PM

By my count, since that 1949-53 run, five different teams have played at a 100-win (or better) pace for five years. Those are the teams you would think might win five World Series in a row, or at least 4 of 5.

But those five teams combined for seven World Series titles, and none won more than two:
Yankees 1954-58 .631 (102 wins per year in a 162-game season) - 2 WS titles
Yankees 1960-64 .630 (102) - 2 WS titles
Reds 1972-76 .626 (101) - 2 WS titles
Braves 1996-2000 .619 (100) - 0 WS titles
Dodgers 2017-21 or 2018-22 .636 (103) or .646 (105) - 1 WS title

The 5 WS titles in 5 years looks pretty good in comparison.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Hungo View Post
By my count, since that 1949-53 run, five different teams have played at a 100-win (or better) pace for five years. Those are the teams you would think might win five World Series in a row, or at least 4 of 5.

But those five teams combined for seven World Series titles, and none won more than two:
Yankees 1954-58 .631 (102 wins per year in a 162-game season) - 2 WS titles
Yankees 1960-64 .630 (102) - 2 WS titles
Reds 1972-76 .626 (101) - 2 WS titles
Braves 1996-2000 .619 (100) - 0 WS titles
Dodgers 2017-21 or 2018-22 .636 (103) or .646 (105) - 1 WS title

The 5 WS titles in 5 years looks pretty good in comparison.
Let's not forget Stengel was also there 54-60. 2 WS in 7 years with the Mantle/Berra/Ford nucleus and some damn good supporting cast.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-26-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:37 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Agree.

The best managers are the ones that win with the teams that you don't expect too.

Stacked teams managers....c'mon.
You mean Aaron Boone?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Let's not forget Stengel was also there 54-60. 2 WS in 7 years with the Mantle/Berra/Ford nucleus and some damn good supporting cast.
Absolutely. So why was Stengel so successful in the WS with the earlier teams, and not as much with the later teams? Both the successes and failures might have very little to do with him, and more to do with the respective inherent abilities of the players on those teams to focus for a short series. Or, given the small sample size, it could be largely random chance.

In any event, it's interesting that most regular season dynasties are only marginally successful in the postseason, but that the 1949-53 Yankees, for whatever reason, managed to extend their dominance to the World Series.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I see- you changed your argument. Hindsight is usually 20-20. The last time the Yankees were in the World Series, 1958, Whitey was credited with zero of his team's 4 wins. In his final start, Game 6, he did not survive the second inning, and was relieved by Art Ditmar, who bailed him out and the team rallied in extra innings. In 1960, Whitey was only 12-9, and Ditmar led the team in wins. So starting Ditmar in Game 1 in favor of Ford was not without reason. But in true fan and media fashion it became beyond dispute that the Yankees would have won if Ford pitched games 1, 4 and 7. Of course, the Yankees scored only 4 runs in the opener and 2 in game 4, as opposed to the 10 and 12 they gave Whitey in his starts, but no doubt he would have still stymied the opponent and carried the day. Open and shut case. Let's release the 70 year old manager--HE cost us the series.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't disagree that the pundits and world-renown baseball experts in New York to this day blame Stengel for not starting Ford in Game 1. I do disagree with the logic that it was the reason Pittsburgh won the Series.
From 1953-1960 Whitey Ford finished no lower than 8th in ERA, ranging from 2.01 to 3.06. In 1960 Ford finished 5th in ERA. At that point, Ford's career post season ERA was 2.81. Ford was absolutely the ace of the staff. He had consistently been an elite pitcher. He should have started game 1. Ditmar at that point had two good seasons, which would be his only two. You don't start someone like that over Whitey Ford.

Stengel started Whitey Ford in game 1 in 1955, 1956, 1957 and 1958. After Stengel was replaced by Ralph Houk, Houk started Whitey Ford in game 1 in 1961, 1962, 1963 and 1964. It is not hindsight to say it was a mistake to not start Ford in game 1.

Stengel wasn't replaced only because he mismanaged the 1960 World Series. The Yankees owners were upset with Stengel back to 1957. He was observed falling asleep during games. His players were partying too much, including a fight at the Copacabana that resulted in Hank Bauer being arrested. Stengel would have been let go in 1958 if the Yankees didn't come back to win the World Series. Not winning in 1959 & 1960 made it easy to move on to Ralph Houk, who led the Yankees to Championships in 1961 & 1962.

Last edited by rats60; 10-27-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:40 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
From 1953-1960 Whitey Ford finished no lower than 8th in ERA, ranging from 2.01 to 3.06. In 1960 Ford finished 5th in ERA. At that point, Ford's career post season ERA was 2.81. Ford was absolutely the ace of the staff. He had consistently been an elite pitcher. He should have started game 1. Ditmar at that point had two good seasons, which would be his only two. You don't start someone like that over Whitey Ford.

Stengel started Whitey Ford in game 1 in 1955, 1956, 1957 and 1958. After Stengel was replaced by Ralph Houk, Houk started Whitey Ford in game 1 in 1961, 1962, 1963 and 1964. It is not hindsight to say it was a mistake to not start Ford in game 1.

Stengel wasn't replaced only because he mismanaged the 1960 World Series. The Yankees owners were upset with Stengel back to 1957. He was observed falling asleep during games. His players were partying too much, including a fight at the Copacabana that resulted in Hank Bauer being arrested. Stengel would have been let go in 1958 if the Yankees didn't come back to win the World Series. Not winning in 1959 & 1960 made it easy to move on to Ralph Houk, who led the Yankees to Championships in 1961 & 1962.
As I said before "I don't disagree that the pundits and world-renown baseball experts in New York to this day blame Stengel for not starting Ford in Game 1. I do disagree with the logic that it was the reason Pittsburgh won the Series."

No one says Ford could not or should not have started Game 1. It is simply not even close to a given that it would have made the Yankees winners of the Series. It also shifts blame from a pathetic bullpen effort in game 7 that coughed up a three-run lead with six outs to go. Actually more than coughed it up-- surrendering 5 to the Bucs in the 8th and requiring the offense to come back for it to even get to the bottom of the 9th.

You are correct that Stengel's fate was not determined by that loss-- the parties had been coy about his future before the Series even started, given his age. Houk was hired because he was basically offered the Tigers job and was going out the door if the Yankees didn't act, although that doesn't mean Stengel would have stuck around otherwise. And no doubt Yankee upper management was demanding and unrealistic in expecting annual World Series championships, much like now. See Exhibit "A"-- Yogi Berra. Thanks for the 99 wins in '64 as a rookie skipper Yogi, but losing to Gibson and the Cardinals in seven is inexcusable. You're fired. (Probably because he didn't pitch Whitey in that game 7, even though Ford had pitched the opener and got torched).

As for the notion that Yankee player partying was a factor, I doubt it. If so, Houk and followers did no better, at least if you believe Jim Bouton's tales of Mickey, Whitey et. al's activities in the 60s.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-27-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

The trouble is not that players have sex the night before a game. It's that they stay out all night looking for it. Casey Stengel

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Tags
dodgers, mantle, roberts, stengel, yankees