NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Johnny S

Default Strangest coolest thing I ever bought

Circa 1910 Chief Benders personalized shaving kit. Wondering if these were given to all players or if they had to special order them. Supposedly this was used by Chief Bender daily in his hey day with the A's and comes from a big estate sale from sometime in the 90's from Hunts.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Rob Miller

Wow, I am blown away by that item. I think that is awesome....great pickup!!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Johnny S

Thanks Rob ! It's really cool but also kind of weird in a strange sort of way. It came from a huge Athletics collector in Philly, he has Bender's wallet, drivers license, and other things that belonged to Bender. It's a very strange piece to say the least but I am very happy to have it for my Bender collection !!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Rob Miller

Definitely!!

As a fellow player collector myself, any kind of personal effects are a great add. But for some reason, I am with you on this one...it is out there, but a totally cool piece.

Last edited by Robextend; 04-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I understand what you mean by kinda weird...but it is definitely cool at the same time. Something I would want in my collection, for sure!
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Johnny S

It's also a great piece of Americana history, I never thought I would be researching King Gillette and the history of shaving razors but it has been very interesting. They sure don't make things like they used to, and to see Made In the USA is great. This thing weighs a ton and is rock solid. Intersting info on King Gillette-

On November 15, 1904, patent #775,134 was granted to King C. Gillette for a safety 'razor'. King Camp Gillette was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin in 1855. To support himself when the family’s home was destroyed in the Chicago Fire of 1871, Gillette became a traveling salesman. This work led him to William Painter, the inventor of the disposable Crown Cork bottle cap, who assured Gillette that a successful invention was one that was purchased over and over again by satisfied customer.

In 1895, after several years of considering and rejecting possible inventions, Gillette suddenly had a brilliant idea while shaving one morning. It was an entirely new razor and blade that flashed in his mind—a razor with a safe, inexpensive, and disposable blade.

It took six years for Gillette’s idea to evolve. During that time, technical experts told Gillette that it would be impossible to produce steel that was hard, thin, and inexpensive enough for commercial development of the disposable razor blade. Then in 1901, MIT graduate William Nickerson agreed to try.

By 1903, he had succeeded. Production of the Gillette ® safety razor and blade began as the Gillette Safety Razor Company started operations in South Boston. Sales grew steadily. During World War I, the U.S. Government issued Gillette safety razors to the entire armed forces. By the end of the war, some 3.5 million razors and 32 million blades were put into military hands, thereby converting an entire nation to the Gillette safety razor.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Joe Jesselli

Fabulous! These are perhaps the finest—and earliest--items relating to Gillette’s long history with baseball, from Chief Bender at the beginning of the 20th Century to Jeter at beginning of the 21st.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Eric Shaeffer

That set is unbelievable! Great pickup man, such a unique thing and looks to be pristine. Wow
Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Terrific marketing for the company and a great piece to own!.. For a Southie kid, it was considered a huge break to secure a "career" down at the Gillette plant. They really pampered their employees and paid great back then.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

wow johnny,
where in the world did you find that?? FANTASTIC
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

OK I READ WHERE IT CAME FROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
wow johnny,
where in the world did you find that?? FANTASTIC
Old 04-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Absolutely terrific piece Johnny! I just love that kind of stuff. Thanks so much for sharing!

Best, Jimmy